Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Should a web site make you request photos?? (No response in 24 hrs)

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
Visited a coin web site today (because of a large coin world ad) and every coin made you fill out your ID, email, etc in order to request a picture. How many times would YOU revisit a site like that??imageimage
"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Only if you want to see them image
  • Options
    ZerbeZerbe Posts: 587 ✭✭
    I know the site and I never bother going there !!!!!!
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    The website should make it easy for the buyer, and allow for anonymous browsing. Just show me the coin!

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The site I work on has this. If the image is not there, you can request this. It is only this way until the images are up. (it is easier to list the coins first, and then work on getting the images up) David Lawrence does that too. I do not mind it if they will post them anyways. Now if the only way they will image them is to make you ask for it, that is a different story.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    On my site I simply make sure that the viewer has has at least average intelligence before showing them any pictures. This can be done automatically with some fancy HTML.

Here's an example that only shows up if your IQ is above 80...

Nice coin, huh?
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Looks alot like this one.

• Options
    Supercoin:

My IQ is the same as room temperature. Can you PM me the picture??image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭
    If they want my business, they'll have images posted for most of their coins. I don't mind requesting one now and then. But, dealers who have few images (Ellesmere for example) get fewer visits from me.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Making me request a photo has been good for me--it has probably kept me from buying a lot of coins!
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Supercoin: My IQ is the same as room temperature. Can you PM me the picture??image >>

I hope you are using either degrees Rankine or Celciusimage

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    tjkillian:

No one has heard of the Rankine scale - where did that come from?? Must be Scottish.....image
  • Options
    ToneloverTonelover Posts: 1,554
    We're a relatively small firm with an inventory numbering around 4-500 items at any given time. Coins coming and going every day. Between servicing clients, doing appraisals, etc. there isn't enough time in the day to keep the website 100% imaged. We're not Heritage who has full time people for that task and we do the best we can. Yes, you have to click a link to email us for a request if something's not up, hopefully that's not too much of a bother. Anyone want a job to take off some of the pressure? All the coins you care to scan can be at your fingertips. It's really fun, trust me. image
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A rough life.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    I don't know the site you guys are referring to, but if it might help for me to stick my nose in here, I offer web development services and hosting for numismatic related sites at an affordable price. If there's a need, I can assist. Just send me a PM.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    I would go to great extremes for a coin I need. But for every coin? I don't think so. One form should cover all requests!
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    Well, still no response since sending my request(s) over 24 hours ago. Now I know why they don't post their pictures....there aren't any! What a way to run a business!image
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I have no problems with a website like that. David Lawrence sends me 3 emails a week that I have to request a picture for the coin they have that I might want. Saves me time from having to visit their site looking for stuff they don't have in stock.
    Me thinks that if you want to make the coin yours you had better quit jacking around with emails and get on the phone for a description or to have the coin sent out to you. If you're buying good stuff you have to be aggressive or you lose out.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Dog:

A picture is worth a thousand words.......and I spent $500 on mailing back substandard coins last year. I no longer request coins w/o a picture.
  • Options
    I agree 100%. Images sell coins.

Certainly, there is a price point below which it is not cost-effective to image a coin, but to me,
    doesn't matter if I am considering spending $30.00 or $30000.00, you better show me the "money".

jmho.

need to change my icon. Accepting suggestions!!
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Lakesammman-
    Then I think you better not fool with dealers that don't have pictures. image
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Yes, like I am actually able to spend 30k on a coin.

But again, JMHO.
  • Options
    Garbageman - I like your Icon....guy looks familiar.....who is he?? Why are you thinking of changing??image I'd rather have a man of average intellect with integrity as my icon than a chronic lying genious married to Satan in a dress. I'd recommend you not change.
  • Options
  • Options
    Dang, rookie strikes again!

Actually, it was the slightly bemused, endearing smile that sold me on this icon.

But, it was chosen on a lark, and I need to create my own icon, hopefully something a bit more
    apolitical. Oscar the Grouch is the obvious choice....but I don't know if he will be able to get the majority necessary for nomination!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file