Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

teletrade monster tone prices whew!!!!!!!!!!

marmacmarmac Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭
I am looking at the current teletrade auction and cant believe the bids on some of these toned dollars.
Some of these are without pics (sight unseen) and the mention of a little bit of "shimmering gold" or magenta and these things get bid up up and away!!!!
I am beginning to think that all 1884-o are MONSTERS.................

Comments

• Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    These same coins were in the Teletrade auction about a week ago. The bidding was crazy. It kept climbing all night long. I watched it right to the end. Guess what, not one coin sold. Very high reserves??? shill bidding???image
  • Options
    Toned Morgan Dollars are bringing higher prices at Heritage as well. Both are doing better than EBAY pricewise right now. I think EBAY has just become such a cesspool for every kind of dog needing a bath that it knocks the real toners (which are precious few) on EBAY down to a lower price. Not to mention the blatant AT garbage on EBAY.
    In an insane society, a sane person will appear to be insane.
  • Options
    Ya know I will buy the occassional "Monster" when the price is right or I can snipe it (in fact I just recieved one in the mailbox today) but 500,600,700,800,900............dollars for a "Monster" 84-o??????for that kinda money I will pick up a ms63 1894-s (which I did the other day) or some other better date s/cc mint in boring brilliant.
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    eagle7, you can say that again. I am still shaking my head over a monster I picked up on eBay over the weekend dirt cheap.

I also have noticed that big toned Morgan sellers like Anaconda and Texas Bullion have either given up or cut way back on eBay.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    heres the one that came in the mail (under a 100 bucks)
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marmac, I agree the pricing and hype for toned Morgans is out of hand. I get bored with just the normal toned Morgan that everybody calls 'Monster or Rainbow." But there are still many out there that are true rainbows and monsters. Those are not cheap and the experienced collector will appreciate them as well.

Please don't take this as knocking your new purchase you just linked and are pretty proud it was under 100.00. But these are the kind I speak of that are just normal toning and deserve no premium.

Just felt a need to mention this as I see many folks on here say they won't pay the going prices for the true rainbows, then come up with a coin not even close and think they got a deal, making it look like the folks that will step up for a true rarity are fools. JMOimage
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    I have been able to pickup gorgeous 84-O and 85-O NGC/PCGS Morgans in 64 and 65 for $50-$100/piece with incredible rainbow crescents and magentas. Why pay more! Ebay and shows are a great source. Teletrade always seem to end up the most expensive.

Brian.
  • Options
    Wingedliberty, agreed there are some nice crescent toned coins for under 100.00. But show me a true rainbow with intense and several bands at that price. With true rainbow colors not just a color or two. This is just a point I'm trying to make.
  • Options
    Something like this for under 100.00?

• Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    It may not be a MONSTER but it is a rainbow and i ended up selling it for under $100
    link
  • Options
    ToneloverTonelover Posts: 1,554

<< <i>I get bored with just the normal toned Morgan that everybody calls 'Monster or Rainbow." >>

What, like this one?

"Extreme Color"
  • Options
    Just like that one. At least they just used "Extreme Color" and got the rainbow in the description. But I'm sure it looks better in person right?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file