Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Dream On

I was curious about this EBAY listing of a 1959 Mantle PSA 8-9. With that upper right corner and print dots, this one might get a "7" on re-grade!image

1959 Mantle PSA 8-9
Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!

Comments

• Options
    looks like a low to midrange 8 to me
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    This card is so clean it can possibly get regraded at a psa 9.

Well, anything is possible, I suppose. Really though, who's going to buy that asssessment?
  • Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927
    No way on the nine. Upper right will stop that and the centering is marginal. I am sure someone here can measure it.

Dave
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I think it a low end 8 but much better than the average 7. The seller is just trying to hype the auction to find a buyer. If it honestly had a shot at a 9, he would resubmit it until it gets the 9. Is he just going to throw away $5000? Don't think so. I've gotten to the point that I avoid most sellers on Ebay who sound like an infomercial. Good sellers act professionally in their discriptions and let the quality of the card speak for itself. "Infomercial" Ebay descriptions make the seller sound like a scam artist in my opinion.
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    I have scanned cards and had the scanner do some weird things to corners and sides. I'm not saying this is definitely the case here, but I've seen it happen first hand with very similar results. Assuming it is the scan, I would rescan until the card looked like it does in person.

I do agree that opinions in an auction description generally turn off potential buyers. I remember technical writing courses that I took in college - I learned a lot from them and the most important was: don't state opinions when they aren't warranted. As an engineer and contractor, I have been able to deflate seemingly well written documents that directed opinionated allegations at my company, making the author look like a fool in some cases. I see this every day on ebay auctions. Let the card speak for itself. I don't need to be told that it is "a strong candidate for a PSA 9". If it's graded PSA 8 that's all that needs to be said. If, upon looking at a high quality scan on an auction, I determine that a card looks better than the grade it received, I will place very high bids on it. Let the card sell itself.

JEB.