Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

OT---help about an earthquake sight!! Picture, also.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know this is off topic, but at about 3:20 PM EST my house shook for a second or two here on the shores of Lake Erie about 45 miles east of Cleveland. It felt similar to one we had maybe 17 years ago that I felt. Can someone hook me up to a sight where I could find out if it was picked up . After i get the link I'll delete the thread.

I figured the guys on the west coast could help on this!!!! image

Al H.image

Oh yeah, here's a coin pic for relevance.

Comments

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Would this help?

Link!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    3.4 on the richter scale. 32 miles northeast of Cleveland near Mentor, Ohio.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How bout your local news?
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    yeah, it finally made it on the news. as said, 3.4 with a ceter 3 miles below Lake Erie and about 12 miles northwest of my chair!! image ironically, that's about 5 miles from being centered directly under The North Perry Nuclear Facility and that makes about 5-7 quakes since the plants completion, all centered in close proximity to it.

does anybody know the toning affects of radiation on coins?? this one was small compared to the big shakes out west, but thrilling nonetheless.

thanks for the help, guys.

al h.image
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Al, the problem with East Coast earthquakes is that everything is made of brick, not the chicken wire and stucco they use out west.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the problem with East Coast earthquakes is that everything is made of brick, not the chicken wire and stucco they use out west. >>

Hey now... not only am I out west but I've put many buildings together with that Lath and Plaster.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    3.4 --- ha, I sleep through those now! I'm in Northridge, CA, that's right, directly on the fault line. The actual area where my house was built was ground zero back in 1994. I guess I'm safe for a little while.

Honestly, I'm from NJ, but I've been out here for 10 years. We have 2-4.0 quakes all the time, nothing to get worried about. That's not even strong enough to knock a picture off the wall.

Michael
  • Options
    ah Michael

finally, FINALLY, we get around to the subject of perspective!! it's a constantly danced around topic here at the forum with our general tendency to be myopic---sorry DK---and not willing to stand in the other guy's shoes. lately, it's been dipping vs. original/toned. in the past it's been modern vs. classic and any number of similarly comparative subjects. this side standing firm against that side, like some kind of silly war, each side pointing out where/why/when/how the other is wrong or missing the boat. heck, i even fall victim to it, though i try to be objective and open-minded.

i'm trying hard to learn here and to express my understanding of all that is Numismatics as i learn. sometimes it's hard and your simple tongue in cheek response is in a way what i was looking for. of course this was a little quake. it lasted all of 2-3 seconds at the very most and i was almost directly on top of it. we just don't have them here. PERSPECTIVE might be an interesting topic if someone from L.A. posted around December that the city was paralyzed by 2 inches of snow!! we get that routinely here and just chuck another log on the fire, roll up our collars and drive to work.

it's so simple to think we hold the high ground intellectually in similar ways when talking about coins. things seem to function better around the forum when we agree or express that we have experienced something different in a non-confrontational manner. but, i digress.

BTW, we did have one back around 1985 that was less than 4.0 which did in fact last close to 10 seconds and knocked anything not secure over and down to the floor.

al h.image
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I was hoping to see a picture of the earthquake damage and all I got was a 10¢. image
  • Options
    It all takes perspective....

My first quake was 1 month after I arrived in LA. I was sitting in a Contracts class in my law school, when a roller hit. It made the hair on the back of my neck stand up on end. It actually moved like a wave through the building and you could sense it coming like a train. Finally it reached me, move past me and out of the room I was in. My heart was in my throat! I was sweating and worried that it caused a gas leak or something and we had to get out of the building immediately...

My professor very calmly and professionally said in a studious professor like manner -- "now that was a roller... if you're not from California, that's probably your first earhtquake, enjoy, there'll be more. Now open your books to page 36, ah, Ms. Jones can you define acceptance for the class?"

And with that I learned perspective!

Michael
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    BUT ORIGINAL COINS ARE BETTER THAN DIPPED!!!

DOESN'T ANYONE UNDERSTAND!!!

imageimageimage
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    We have a big fault here in southern Missouri....New Madrid fault. I guess that it's bigger than the one you guys have California (San Andreas).
  • Options
    NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    Oh yeah, I amost forgot:

Hey Keets, that's a great dime! Is it in a holder or is it raw? Did you get that from the Bower's Sanctuary Sale? Does it have a pedigree?
  • Options
    hey Ed

the dime is raw. the local guy watches out for me!! he had it marked 40 cents on the holder but when he rang up my bill a few weeks i believe he just threw it in the pile, another nice, early 70's PL.

al h.image
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713

<< <i>We have a big fault here in southern Missouri....New Madrid fault. I guess that it's bigger than the one you guys have California (San Andreas). >>

Yeah, and when yours goes off, the whole country will rock and roll (literally).image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Historically the New Madrid fault "lets go" about every 150 years, The last time was in 1811 so it is almost 50 years overdo. Last time it went off it literally rang church bells in Philadelphia PA. Contemporary reports from the Louisville, Ky area said that you could actually watch the waves as they rolled across the fields as the ground was rising and falling five feet from peak to trough. Like waves rolling in off the ocean.
  • Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    I believe with sufficient radiation, you and you coins would glow in the dark!!! Might be some interesting toning, but it would be considered AT!{Atomic Tanning}image This is how I feel about a reactor being that close to a fault with several quakes!!! As long as the structure doesn't fracture the cooling towers and you lose the Heavy Water, you should be okay!!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, you big babies! image

You are only a "real" man if you hit with a 6.0 or greater every 10 years or so. lol

jom - CA
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    My first trip to California, San Francisco October 1989, 7.2 on the Richter scale.
    My second trip to California, San Francisco April 1990, 5.4 on the Richter scale (aftershocks from October quake).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file