Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

FB Rosy's - Making CHEAP coins into EXPENSIVE coins

Prior to 311 (or March 11) when PCGS announced FB designation, a PCGS MS66 1958-P dime was worth $10 (ok, $6-15). Bottom line was 1958P dimes were soooooooooo common, it wasn't worth slabbing one unless it had superb toning or was a MS67 - and those by the way, are only $20-40 coins. 58P's along with the 57P and 56P were coins on the bottom end of the Rosy spectrum value-wise. Things changed after 311.....especialyy when a broader swath of collectors realized (or are realizing) that these 3 coins are TOUGH to find in any grade with FB and especially tough in High Grade FB.

Todays' 1956P FB has a MS66/67 pop of 2/4
Today's 1957P FB has a MS66/67 pop of 3/0
Today's 1958P FB has a MS66/67 pop of 2/0

Who would have though that a $10 1958P PCGS MS66 Rosy would be a pop-top coin? This hit home for me recently as in going thru some Rosy's I have in 2x2's, I found a couple of 1958P's and a 1956P that looked FB (also a 55S). They were MS65/66 grade coins, had attractive (to me) toning but there's no way I'd spend $15 to slab them (prior to FB). So, I sent them in and get PCGS MS66FB 55S, 56P, and 58P. So the coin that I paid $1 for (the 58P) is a pop-top coin with a pop of 2/0! (ok, I paid $2-3 each for the other two).

My point in writing this post is twofold: 1. You never know what the future will bring, and more important to this post, coin that didn't have (much) perceived value can suddenly have value as standards change - and suddenly a coin that wasn't worth slabbing is REALLY worth slabbing. More to this second point - with typically MS66 Rosy's fetching $15, there was NO incentive to slab anything but coin that could get the MS67 grade or that had really nice eye appeal. All that has changed with FB, now its worth slabbing MS65+ "key" date FB coins - and these are coins that weren't worth slabbing before. Its a great opportunity for collectors and it also sends coins to PCGS that they would not have gotten w/o the designation review.

With so much "hype" (and I'm as guilty as anyone) about pop-top MS67FB & MS68FB coins and their Registry "value", no one is talking about these pop-top MS66FB coins and the literally 1000's of currently slabbed coins with potential and rolls and rolls of coins that could have FB potential. That's an opportunity for the ALL collectors - big and small - to be "in the thick of things".

So, time to check out your rolls and low-grade slabs anyone???
Craig
If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!

Comments

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "My point in writing this post is twofold: 1. You never know what the future will bring, and more important to this post, coin that didn't have (much) perceived value can suddenly have value as standards change - and suddenly a coin that wasn't worth slabbing is REALLY worth slabbing"

Craig: So true. And, of course, it goes both ways, with coins losing value as well when standards change. For example, I was very proud of the half dozen or so 2001(p) Roosies I tucked away earlier this year in PCGS-MS68 and wouldn't have considered selling them for $150/coin. Today, they are worth around $20/coin without "FB". What I found, however, is if you are a disciplined collector and try to pursue "PQ" coins and collections that even with standards changes, you may likely do quite well. Sure, you will have some coins that don't make the new standard, but, you will also have many coins that do. And, standard changes have even less effect when you enjoy collecting coins raw in flips as well. image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Craig--

Aside from the financial considerations, the primary reason many of us pushed for the FB designation was to make the set a real challenge.

The FS designation for Jefferson nickels has made it one of the most difficult sets to complete. The are still no complete 100% FS sets of the early Jeffs.

Tough sets are simply more fun.
    Bill

My Other Hobby
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the clads are going to be far more difficult to value then the silvers. I also believe the clad
    Roosie set will be a far more difficult set to complete in FB then the silver series. Look for the clads
    to bring more collector interest then the silvers too. Now if you want a challenge try completing the
    entire Roosevelt dime set from 1946 to date in MS66FB or better.
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Craig,
    Please sell me your pretty toned 67s at a bargain basement price -- they are not FB and are worthless. I will bail you out of your mistakes.imageimage
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the clads are going to be far more difficult to value then the silvers. I also believe the clad
    Roosie set will be a far more difficult set to complete in FB then the silver series. Look for the clads
    to bring more collector interest then the silvers too. Now if you want a challenge try completing the
    entire Roosevelt dime set from 1946 to date in MS66FB or better. >>

There will be no great hordes of BU clads in which to search for FB coins. There will
    be no great old time collections with dozens of fantastic clad dimes. There will be no
    old bags found in bank vaults or in Europe just brimming with great numbers of high
    quality coins. There will be very few of these set aside in the great collections which
    will come on the market over the years.

Fortunately gem clad dimes are common in mint sets. They are as common as 10% for
    some dates and account for less than 2% for only a few dates. Unfortunately the mint
    sets have been ignored and sold for rock bottom prices for decades and this has resulted
    in great stress on their populations. Demand has been continuing its geometric increase
    and the sets are definitely getting more difficult to find. And this at a time that the dimes
    and quarters are finally starting to get some attention.

FB gem clad dimes are actually pretty easy to obtain right now. They can be found raw or
    in slabs. They will not be so easy in a few years and there will few raw coins available.
    Tempus fugit.
  • bushmaster8bushmaster8 Posts: 5,616
    Jesus Craig! looks like I was a fool to let that 56 MS67 go. (that subsequently got the FB desig.)
    But ,I, like everyone assumed a 56 was no big deal! Live and learn.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    >>>So, time to check out your rolls and low-grade slabs anyone???

I have been checking out my rolls. The problem is that grading Roosevelts is, IMO, much more difficult than Lincolns or Jeffs. Its as if there is a different standard. I pick the finest coin from a roll, a coin the looks perfect and I get 66'ed on it. Whats the key to making 67? The FB has got me as well, is it FB under 5X just like Jeffersons being FS under 5X or is it 10X because they are so small, or even worse is it with the naked eye? Got me but I would love to know since I have 5 really nice 59-P's in fromt of me right now.