Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Top 20-25 Phillies set

I was looking the the registry and saw the Philadelphia Baseball set, which includes a lot of high-priced A's cards that I'm not really interested in. I sat down and tried to come up with a top 20-25 Phillies set and was wondering if any of you Philly people had any comments/suggestions. Here goes (19 so far):

1911 Sherry Magee T206
1911 Gavvy Gravath T206
1915 Grover Alexander Cracker Jack
1933 Chuck Klein Goudey
1948 Del Ennis Leaf
1949 Curt Simmons Bowman
1949 Richie Ashburn Bowman
1949 Robin Roberts Bowman
1950 Jim Konstanty Bowman
1957 Jim Bunning Topps
1959 Johnny Callison Topps
1963 Pete Rose Topps
1964 Richie Allen Topps
1965 Steve Carlton Topps
1965 Tug McGraw Topps
1970 Larry Bowa Topps
1971 Greg Luzinski Topps
1973 Mike Schmidt Topps
1973 Bob Boone Topps

I don't really think Dallas Green belongs here and I'm not sure that Maddox and McBride make the cut either. As for Bowa, Bull and Boone, I think they should be on there as 3 of the 4 "homegrown" guys on the 70s-80s teams. Granny Hamner? Chris Short? (This ain't exactly the top 25 Yankees).

Comments

• My two cents. Wouldn't you want a Carlton card from when he was a Phillie? How about the year he won 27 games. 72?
    Strong buyer of 1970 Kelloggs Football & 1971 Kelloggs Baseball and Football. Please help me find cards!
    I have a few hundred extra PSA graded 1971 Kellogg's cards. E-mail for price list. Looking for 1970 Topps Supers in PSA 9 too.
  • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Gatorbait, I was the one who sent the original request in for BJ and Joe to look at. My request had similiar players plus alot more. I wanted a "no weight" set, much like the HOF player set. Joe icksnayed the request right away, saying that my request of Phillies and A's players was too much - I had "50 All Time Philadelphia Baseball".

When the set finally came up, Lefty Grove is a member of the Red Sox (defeats the whole purpose of the set) and many were not even there. By the way, Dallas Green, McBride, and Hamner were in my original request as well as Indian Bob Johnson, Gus Zernial, and Puddin Head Jones, to name a few. There were 50 of them. Every player, and then some, in the Philadelphia Baseball HOF was requested. The issue did not have to be a certain issue or year, only a certain player.

I will never EVER own some of the cards that are in the set that is on the PSA Registry. But I do own some of the other Philadelphia players mentioned. Joe said via email that some of these players requested were borderline ??? -- Philadelphia baseball has had below borderline success, with the excpeption of some of the A's and Phils squads. That is what makes these players special to us fans.

I think that if the request was a non weighted set, there would be more collectors registered. Guys like Fogel (who is #1 on yet on another set) can complete almost any set they want, so they and PSA may not consider it such a big deal. Plus, an average collector like me would have a chance of completing it and have my name in "PSA Registry Lights."

I had thought the idea of the Registry to give collectors the opportunity to compete with others, as well as against ones self. There are a lot of sets on the Registry that are truly there for any collector to obtain - the HOF Player set is a great one - and those issued sets seem to be a thing of the past.

How about have a Non Weighted category?
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • I don't like it that a Philly set has Pete Rose as a Red, Steve Carlton as a Cardinal, Tug McGraw as a Met, Jim Bunning as a Tiger, etc. I think a better option would be to have these players on their first card with Philadelphia. This doesn't make sense.

Skycap
  • PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

Skycap,

I agree. I was excited to see the set get listed, but when I saw the set composition I was very disappointed. From Neal's explanation, it seems PSA did some funny stuff, and ruined what could have been a fun set for us Phillies fans.
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Definitely Chris Short.
    His stats would be much better if he had decent hitting... and his stats are pretty good!
  • I'm not 100% familiar with the Set Registry deal (how you register a set, weighting, etc.), but I guess it does make sense to use all Phillies cards. To that end, I have made several revisions (a couple of questions):

1911 Sherry Magee T206
    1911 Gavvy Cravath M101-5 Sporting News
    1915 Grover Alexander Cracker Jack
    1933 Chuck Klein Goudey
    1948 Del Ennis Leaf (would it make more sense to include this card, 1952 Topps or some other card?)
    1949 Curt Simmons Bowman
    1949 Richie Ashburn Bowman
    1949 Robin Roberts Bowman
    1950 Jim Konstanty Bowman
    1960 Johnny Callison Topps
    Chris Short Topps (what year is his rookie card?)
    1964 Richie Allen Topps
    1964 Jim Bunning Topps
    1970 Larry Bowa Topps
    1971 Greg Luzinski Topps
    1972 Steve Carlton Topps (traded)
    1973 Mike Schmidt Topps
    1973 Bob Boone Topps
    1976 Tug McGraw Topps
    1980 Pete Rose Topps

A good top 20.

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Couple questions:

How about 1952 Topps Smoky Burgess -- since it is one of the coolest Phillies cards ever.

Why are we ignoring the 19th century? How about a Harry Wright Old Judge card? Or Ed Delahanty? Heck -- you can put in the entire 1894 Phillies Outfield of Sliding Billy Hamilton, Delahanty and Sam Thompson. Even Kid Gleason, perhaps. The Philadelphia Phillies have such an amazing history -- to start it out with a 1911 baseball card, in my mind ignores three decades of amazing baseball.

Who knows how good Chas. Ferguson could have been but for his tuberculosis?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Marc - most of those Phils were in my original request. It would have been a solid Top 50 set, in my opinion
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Hey, 1420. Would you mind posting the list or sending me an email w/ it? Sounds like a great one. Even if not officially registered, I wouldn't mind trying to complete it (or see how far I am from completing it) on my own. Thanks in advance.
  • Personally, I do not like any set that is based on one (or a few) person's or newspapers's opinion, or some poll. These are bogus sets in my book. At least with team sets such as 1956 Topps Yankees, 1967 Topps Red Sox and so on there are a defined selection of cards that consitute the set -- nobody's opinion can change them.

Skycap
  • To each his own, I guess. I am in the process of completing graded '50 Bowman and '81 Topps Phillies sets, but I have also always collected star Phillie "star" cards and will continue regardless of whether there is a formal set on the registry. The benefits of having it on the registry to me are: (1) I'll get to see some of the great cards that others have; and (2) I'll be effectively able to publish my "want list" by showing the gaps that I have. I also like the general concept of the set registry in general but b/c of my "type" of collection, I can't get involved.