Home U.S. Coin Forum

How rare are the Buffalo 2 feathers??? Really?

Just checking if anybody cares about the 2 feathers........I have accumulated a bunch, and a lot of them are not in the cherrypickers guide..............any thoughts?
New shop..........New lessons every day...............

Comments

• Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    How many are there out there?
    Its anybodys guess. From reading the previous thread about it I,m led to be believe there could
    be hundreds or thousands floating around out there.

I hope to cherry one or buy one some day. I think its a killer variety.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any pics? Never heard of it.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    I occasionally see them unattributed in slabs. Several months ago on eBay, I saw a PCGS MS63 1925-S that was 2-feathers but unattributed (by both PCGS and the seller).

I'm guessing that they are uncommon in circulated grades, but comparitively rare in mint state since no one would have saved them when they were initially released. It's sort of akin to the 1922 plain cent. The coins were struck from over polished dies so they looked lousy from the get go.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • jomjom Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How rare are the Buffalo 2 feathers??? >>

I'd say 2 feathers on a Buffalo is pretty rare. In fact, ANY feathers on a Buffalo is something you should call the Audubon society about. image

jom
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    I'd say 2 feathers on a Buffalo is pretty rare

LOL. I liked that one.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    I've seen this topic brought up before and would really like clarification. I've seen fabulous links posted as to AH Kennedys, Type 2 Lincolns, etc.. I would love it if someone could help us as to this variety.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    How about a pic? (Buffalo wings I know, but Buffalo feathers I don't know.)
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't post any pictures right now (web server is down), but since they first appeared in the CPG I've been watching for and collecting 2-feather Buffalos. I really expected interest to take off, but except for a short burst of activity right after the book came out there hasn't been much sustained interest. Some folks even tried to hype "2-1/2 feather" or "2-1/4 feather" coins without the entire third feather polished away, but those coins also drew very little attention.

High grade specimens survive by luck alone, as no one was collecting this variety in the 20's and 30's. Most 2-feather Buffs I've seen, and every one in my collection, graded Fine or lower. Not every 2-feather variety was included in the CPG. Somewhere I have an analysis of rarity by rate, I forget who even put it together, but certain dates are common (1916 jumps immediately to mind), certain dates are rare (1913-S type-I), and others are unknown. If you have true 2-feather Buffs which are not in the CPG, I would love to hear the dates, maybe I can dig out that list and see if they are reported varieties.

Saen Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • mojoriznmojorizn Posts: 1,380
    This is why I love David Lange's "The Complete Guide to Buffalo Nickels". The second edition has a lot of updates from the previous, and he goes into the prevalent varieties associated with each issue. I'm lucky enough to live in a little town in Florida right next to NGC HQ in Sarasota. I'll make some inquiries. Mr. Lange is very accessible and has gone so far as to meet with me to sign copies of his newest editions.

I think the 2 feathers varieties are going to eventually prove more rare than we think, especially in higher grades. Like Christopher said, since they are a result of over polished dies, they looked lousy from the get go.

What needs to happen in order to light a fire under them? Attribution by major 3rd party certification and recognition in the Holy Red Book!

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • The David Lange!!image
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    what a betch

here we have a guy with a handfull of rarities and no one cares.

man , that sucks
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been collecting these for 15 years or more. They used to be easy to cherrypick. Not so anymore.

A couple of reasons these don't carry the popularity or premium of the 3 and 3 1/2 legged varieties-it's not quite the novelty of a "crippled" Buffalo, although many are as rare as the rarest of the attenuated leg Buffs. In addition, many more dates are involved, therefore a complete set of these would be tougher.

Forget the 2 1/2 feather stuff-this is taking it to an un-necessary extreme. They do make for an interesting collection, especially for buffalo collectors since they are "naked eye" visible (as has been mentioned earlier in this thread) and are easily as significant as the various missing initial varieties in other series (Walkers, Lincolns, and Kennedys come to mind. )

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file