Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

help on a 1793 large cent

I am about to buy a 1793 large cent with vine and bars but was wondering if anyone would like to look at the photo and give me an opinion on its grade. I have attached the file of the photo but if it does not work I will e-mail the photo to whom ever wishes to assist! I do not know how to post a photo on this site since I am a new member and have not figurted that out yet. So, I could use some help in that area as wellimage
Thanks,
A teacher of Science who needs to be taught in coins!
Dave

Comments

• Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Bytheway Paluka - welcome to the boards!!! image
  • Options
    Welcome to the Forums Paluka. You can post pictures by teaching yourself at this link!!image

Linky
  • Options
    Welcome.image

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    The coin appears to be cleaned, if not whizzed - the color is wrong/too light. I would avoid it.

Edited to add: A 1793 Large Cent (or other early copper coins) which have circulated anywhere near that much should be a (dark) brown color. The lighter, reddish color is a dead giveaway that the coin has been cleaned, if not worse.

• Options
    Wow this is great! I am glad I joined! You people are fast to respond!
    Thanks. If any of you need Chemistry or Anatomy Physiology help I am your man! Been teaching for many years in Wisconsin.
    So, Where is the best place to go and buy these 1793-1810 large cents? I would love to fill my set!!!
    Also, is PCGS the best place to go when grading the large cent? I sent a really nice one in and they would not grade it due to light environmental problems. I am not sure what that ment but the coin was very well detailed.
    Thanks again
    Dave
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Since you asked about chemistry, I do have a question. I'm a degreed mechanical engineer so be easy on me.

EXACTLY what is happening, on the atomic level, when silver tones? Is it reversible? EXACTLY what is the toning on silver? What is the chemical reaction? Details please.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom,

Why don't you also send Dave the link to that torturous thread involving Iwog and his self-avowed expertise in Chemistry...

If nothing else, it will help to acclimate our new member to one of the lesser reasons to be here! image

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    Tom,
    I am an industrial chemist but I know many metallurgical chemists at Caterpillar and can check into this for you.
    Dave

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file