Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Overview on NumisEXPERT Software for U.S. Coin Collectors

NumisEXPERT: Collectors is an “Expert System”. It currently runs under Windows 98 (and newer). It has been in development for three years now, starting as a VB program released for free as a “BETA”, then migrated to ACCESS, and now still using ACCESS as a front-end but with a SQL database and a lot of the newest “DOT.NET” code. During the “BETA” period, a large number of collectors provided suggestions and ideas to help make the program better. The current version of the program is available as a free download from www.numisexpert.com . A brief “movie” demo is available also at the web site. The free download will run for 30 days after which time you may purchase the registration codes for $19.95 + $3.95 postage (cd-rom version) from our 3-store at www.janschwenk.com.

A “Coin-Master” database provides substantial information and data on all U.S. coins since 1616 including Designer(s), edge format, weight in gm and gr, diameter in mm and inch, weight tolerance in gr, thickness in mm, specific gravity, mintage, special notes, and alloy composition, coin name, class, type, year, mint mark, strike, variety, and errors. A “Market Price” database provides prices on “business strikes” from MS-01 thru MS-70 and “proof” from PF-40 thru PF-70. The “Market Price” is based on coin name, class, type, strike, and grade, and is affected by variety, error, attribute(s), grading company, and pedigree. The “Market Price” database is updated daily and database updates are available for download periodically. Acquisition information retains purchase date, vendor or source, vendor asking price, purchase price, quantity, shipping costs (inbound), misc. costs with misc. cost notes. If the quantity is greater than 1 (to handle rolls, bags, lots, collections, piles, etc), a “breakdown” feature becomes available that allows you to purchase a roll, store and track it as a roll with roll total cost and unit cost, then later “breakdown” the roll into a partial roll plus individual items. The database is relational and transactional so any coins derived from a “breakdown” are traceable back to their root, and all pertinent and acquisition information is automatically inserted with the individual coins. A “Status Report” is available to track your coins or collection in detail or summary with total acquisition costs compared to current “Market Price”, the length of time you have held the coin, and the apr (annual percentage rate) in gain/loss. There is a comprehensive search facility for viewing data on screen, creating various reports and lists, or exporting to Excel files (or csv format). A Coin Photo Capture facility allows you to enter bulk photos and links them to your specific coins. If you follow recommended procedures you will be able to create high quality high resolution photos at the rate of approximately one photo per second, then automatically crop, color balance, contrast balance, resize and populate your database. A later version will allow automated posting of auctions to several different on-line auction web sites, with automated sales management. Coins are entered by year, mint and denomination. The system alerts you to varieties and errors for affected coins. This alert feature has helped me identify many varieties and errors in my own collection that I wasn’t even aware of, increasing the value of many of my coins – a very pleasant surprise.

The system is “web enabled” to automatically advise you when updates are available, or to automatically send detailed error messages (with your permission) should they occur. There are many other features and functions in the software and a large number of new features and functions is currently being developed for inclusion in the near future. For example, we have a feature that will allow collectors to find coins they need and/or sell duplicates or coins they want to sell directly to other collectors with almost no effort. The system will do the work for you. When the system finds a coin you are looking for (want list) in the grade and price you want, it will “negotiate” with the owner’s system. Neither end of the transaction need even be aware of the activity unless there is a positive match on all points. Then both will be put in touch to conclude the detail. Why waste time looking and negotiating if your computer can do it for you? Once you make the deal, your new found friend can mail you the coin(s) on receipt of your payment or trade, and the records and photos will be automatically entered into your system with full details of the transaction. I realize that some of you will say, “Too Star-Trekkie – I’m a classical collector!” but then how many of you still drive horse drawn buggies or communicate via smoke signals? Our goal is to create a software system that uses all the advantages of the computer to help you improve your collection, to buy low and sell high, to have your collection consistently appreciate in value. I think that will be good for the hobby. Collectors will buy more coins, more people will become collectors, and all of our collections will go up in value so that when we have to sell them, we will be able to get a fair return on our investment.

The software is currently being offered at an introductory price of $19.95 + $3.95 shipping (cd-rom version). It will remain at this price until September 27th at which time the price will be $199.95 + $6.95 shipping. We are currently running a front page ad and an inside page ad in color in Numismatic News every other week if you would like to comment on the ads.
U.S. coin collector since 1943. Have tried desperatly to keep every coin that has come to hand, but unfortunately, some got away.

Comments

• Options
    Jan,
    I met you at Alamo Coin shop in Richardson,Tx a few years ago, as you were developing this program, and now I have a question... as you stated, in Sept the price will rise a great deal, if purchased before then, at the 19.95 offer, how much will the program updates cost in future years?
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • Options
    Dennis,

Aha! Long time no see! Your updates will be free for the collector version. If you later want to upgrade to the re-seller/dealer version (under development), or higher versions, there will be an upgrade charge but that has not been determined yet. If you are a collector only, this version should last you a long time.

Jan
    U.S. coin collector since 1943. Have tried desperatly to keep every coin that has come to hand, but unfortunately, some got away.
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    dindong
    Can you post a link to your site?
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    Don,

There are two links: Link to NumisEXPERT site for downloading 30-day trial of software

And Where you can purchase the software if you like.

Thanks for asking!

(Hope I did that right!)

Rgds
    Jan
  • Options
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    dingodog
    I purchased your program.I have been a user and supporter of Trove's Coin Elite.I'll let you know.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    Don,
    I will be looking forward to your comments, critique, and suggestions on what to add and how to improve it.
    Thanks!
    Jan