Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Need help in pricing an 1878 3 cent in PCGS 67 CA

I just got back my 1878 3 cent nickel in proof 67 cameo. I had someone interested and don't know exactly how to price it. It is a pop 2 coin. Also, is it accepted practice to e-mail registry owners and ask them if they want to bid? Thanks for the help.
Bill
Coin Junkie

cameoproofcoins.com

Comments

• Options
    Bill,

Assuming it is a silver 3c piece, and depending on who did the certification, it should be well over $5,000.

Wish I could buy it!
    U.S. coin collector since 1943. Have tried desperatly to keep every coin that has come to hand, but unfortunately, some got away.
  • Options
    Bill,

Whoops! Did I say "silver" - please ignore previous message. I just looked it up and in NICKEL my guess would be $17,000+. I think the best way to sell a coin like that would be on consignment in one of the major auctions, Long Beach, etc. The company that did the grading is critical on a coin like this. I presume you used PCGS?

Jan
    U.S. coin collector since 1943. Have tried desperatly to keep every coin that has come to hand, but unfortunately, some got away.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    cameoproofcoins/Bill,

Sorry to say that my estimated value would be MUCH lower. The last non-cameo sold by HNA brought $1601 in March Link

Before that, another sold for $3450, last July. However, based upon the images, it appears to be an obvious "Cameo". So, my guess would be that the winning bidder (and at least one underbidder) bid that high because they thought it was a "Cameo" and/or a PR68. Link

While your coin is currently a pop 2, PCGS has certified 25 PR66 Cameo's and the 1878 is one of the more common ones to be found in "Cameo". All things considered, I think a realistic asking price would be in the mid-$3000 range.
  • Options
    I am by no means an expert on 3 Cent Nickels (but I do love them). That year was struck in Proof only, I believe, with a mintage of about 2,350. I bought a PCGS PR-65 in Oct., 2001 for $600.00. Not sure what they are going for now, as I haven't priced any coins in this series lately. Just wanted to pipe in what little info I had. image

<< <i>Also, is it accepted practice to e-mail registry owners and ask them if they want to bid? >>

If memory serves me correctly, this has been done before, so I would say it is acceptable. If the Registry Participant doesn't want any e-mail regarding their set, they could hide their e-mail from public view.
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    << Also, is it accepted practice to e-mail registry owners and ask them if they want to bid? >>

I have received more than one email from DHRC notifying me of coins for sale that would improve my set(s). Is it because I am on their mailing list because I have purchased from them in the past? Is someone trolling the reg sets looking for potential customers? I don't know the real answer to that one.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I, for one, VERY much appreciate when someone looks at my Registry Sets and lets me know when they have a good quality upgrade available. I've bought more than a few this way, and feel grateful. I've rarely been harassed by anyone who had something really substandard. IMO, that's part of the reason why you put up the specfiics of the set you have.
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    I have no idea what the coin is worth, but I would say that you may contact registry owners. Focus on those who include an email address with their set. After all, why put an email address on your set if you don't want bids and offers. I have both bought and sold through that method and find it very efficient and appropriate.

Greg
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Also, don't forget the type set registries. This could be a great type coin.

Greg
  • Options
    scherscher Posts: 924
    probably a 3k type coin..generally the 82's make nice examples for type sets as they come real nice and are less expensive..though this example is not very common in 67 cameo example in lower grades are pretty easy..
    bruce scher
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Yea, the 3K to 3.5K range sounds about right. As far as contacting registry owners, I have had several inquiries about upgrades. I appreciate getting them, even if I can't currently buy the coin, because at least I have a lead on where to go, when I am able to upgrade. My recollection is that at least PCGS gives you the option of not having your email visible on the registry set. I have chosen to leave mine visible.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum