Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What a Peace.

I went to the Salt Lake City coin show with the intention of finding a toned Peace dollar. It has been discussed many times on this board that Peace dollars are really difficult to find with nice toning. I wanted to really see for myself if this was so. What a better place to test this theory than at a coin show.

I went from table to table looking over the goods. There were about 15 to 20 really nice rainbow toned Morgan dollars but I just couldn't find a Peace dollar that was worthy of throwing down some cash on. I found one with brownish toning that the dealer had labeled as "Nice original toning" but it was far from being nice.

Just as I was about to give up on my quest and purchase one of the rainbow toned Morgans I came across this one. You people on these forums were correct; Peace dollars with nice toning are tough to find. The lesson for me is to snatch up every nicely toned Peace dollar I run across.

Comments

• Options
    LuvdawgsLuvdawgs Posts: 1,512
    Very nice find. Congrats! I'll have to start looking for some of those to drool over image

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you got your first piece I mean Peace huh? Good for you and nothing like going to the shows and looking at as many as you can. Congrats and enjoy!!!!

So we got a wild man on the toned coins now I guess.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
    Very niceimage Someday, I'd like to own a beautifully toned Peace dollar. As you indicated they are very difficult to fined nicely toned.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    That's real pretty.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also wanted to mention to be careful out there with your new adventures.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Also wanted to mention to be careful out there with your new adventures. >>

Thanks, stman, I will.

I've been really just dabbling into different areas of numismatics to discover the direction that I really want to take.

I like the toned Peaces. I know that I need to study up on the series a little more if I intend on buying some of the more pricey dates.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    So we got a wild man on the toned coins now I guess.

LMAO....... That's exactly what I was thinking. image

That is a very attractive coin, and happy hunting.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    Legend has one on their site... a $ 75 coin going for $ 1,500..... go snatch it...
  • Options
    ZerbeZerbe Posts: 587 ✭✭
    Finding nicely toned Peace dollars was next to impossible, until recently. image

Seriously, oldcameoproofsguy, that is a beauty. Building an entire toned set, looking that nice would be quite an accomplishment.
  • Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    That's a beauty! Very nice find.....

Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    Building an entire toned set, looking that nice would be quite an accomplishment.

You have no idea how hard it is. So far I have 20 of the 24 needed to complete the set. And I've started sets #2 and #3 with my dups. It's rather easy to find some of the more common dates with color -- 22,23,24. It's is almost impossible to find some of the harder dates with nice color. The set I have assembled so far runs the gamut of color and toning -- rainbows, crescent, rim toning, bullseye, target, russet, and just the unusual.

Be prepared if you try this, it will become and obsession that might affect your career and personal life. imageimage

Also, don't expect to find morgan like toning on a Peace $. It really doesn't exist. Also, be prepared to pay ridiculous money. Like Peaceman noted Legend has a $75 coin up on her site for $1500. The coin is probably priced 5x higher then it should be.

And don't expect to find MS65s and MS66s with color. I've seen some, but, most the colorful toned Peace $ I've run across are MS62-MS64s.

Good-luck and nice find!

~Michael

• Options
    That's a very pretty Peace dollar -- looks like it has great surfaces too.

Mike
    DE FALCO NUMISMATIC CONSULTING
    Visit Our Website @ www.numisvision.com
    Specializing in DMPL Dollars, MONSTER toners and other Premium Quality U.S. Coins

*** Visit Mike De Falco's NEW Coin Talk Blog! ***
  • Options
    marmacmarmac Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    I saw several at the Chicago show that I considered very appealing. Very subtle crescent rainbow toning. Man they wanted top dollar for anything that remotely matched that description.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options

<< <i>And don't expect to find MS65s and MS66s with color. I've seen some, but, most the colorful toned Peace $ I've run across are MS62-MS64s. >>

I probably got pretty lucky on this one then, because it grades NGC MS-65. I paid what I felt was fairly strong money for it (between MS65 and MS66 money), but there is no way I would have forked out over 2000% grey sheet bid for the coin.
  • Options
    The more common years will go MS65 with color. My 22, 23 & 24 are all MS65s. The 22 is actually a Binion MS65*. But, it's hard to find the keys and semikeys with nice color @ MS65, but that goes for alot of non-toned Peace $ anyway.

~Michael

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file