Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New member has questions.

Hello everyone,

My name is Bob and I've been collecting coins on and off since around 1965 or so.
My last active period was in the mid 80's. I have some spare time on my hands now and would
like to sort and catalog my "vast" holdings which presently resides in a hodge podge of holders
of various descriptions. My question is "what is your favorite way to store your coins"?
I was thinking "airtites" or the new (to me) Coin World "slabs" . Does anyone have any suggestions
they would like to share with me?
Thanks in advance.
Bob

Comments

• Options
    Welcome to the boards...what are your questions?

• Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Welcome to the boards.

The answers are Yes, No, and the number 27.

Enjoy! image
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Bobsav21! do you collect gold? mike
  • Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    Welcome to the Forum Bobsav21. We're waiting for your questions. Enjoy your time here!

• Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    Yes, its AT
    No its not AH
    MS64FB
    FBL, I don't think so.
    Almost CAM.
    ACG sucks

Brian.
  • Options
    Just store them in a big pile on your kitchen table.

J.C.
    *******************************************************************************

imageimageSee ya on the other side, Dudes. image
  • Options
    It depends on the value of your holdings. For expensive pieces I would recommend the Coin World slabs. For common coins it's easy just to store them in mylars. You can get albums, binders, etc. All depends on what you want to do.
  • Options
    Welcome to the Forums Bobsav21!!
    Glenn
  • Options
    For my raw Morgans, I use the Eagle brand holders. I then store them in Eagle brand containers that look quite nice.

I have never used the Coin World holders, but they do look nice.

Numonebuyer

P.S. Here is the link to the Eagle brand home page if you want it.
  • Options
    That's quite a few Morgans to be leaving out on the kitchen table. Make sure someone doesn't slip the 89-CC into their orange juice or between their peanut butter and jelly and take it home with 'em! image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Hello Mike

I have a few pieces of "gold" and some "bullion" type stuff. I never really got into it
    because at the time I was looking at it the prices were sky high.

Bob
  • Options

Thanks numonebuyer,

I tried the "Eagle" holders when they first came out but I had trouble keeping them
    snapped shut with my morgans.
    Maybe I got a bad batch or something.

Thanks

Bob
  • Options
    I have had a couple of the holders that would not stay shut, but only a couple.

Numonebuyer
  • Options

I just checked out your "collection" page, very nice job and a very very nice collection
    of Morgans, congratulations.

If I might ask, do you use a particular software program for you inventory or is it something
    you made up.
    I started something with Excel but It didn"t turn out the way I wanted. I'm by no means
    a "excel" guru and got hung up when I was trying to "link" images to a particular "inventory"
    number. Never quite got it to work right.
    Maybe I'll give it another shot.
    But if anyone out their could recommend a good program I would appreciate it.
    Bought a couple from E-bay but they turned out to be junk.

Bob
  • Options
    If you subscribe to Coin World you can pick up the Coin World slabs pretty cheaply through Amos Advantage. You can buy a kit ANACS size that comes with 32 slabs and assorted inserts plus a box that holds 25 slabs. That's the kit I got, seeing as I don't have a plastic storage box for my ANACS slabs anyway. $34.95. Quick and fairly cheap shipping. You can also get the larger type for a little more.
    J.C.
    *******************************************************************************

imageimageSee ya on the other side, Dudes. image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard Bobsav21.

I noticed you said your last active period was in the mid '80s. Are you familiar with the certified grading/slabbing that's been going for the last 10-15 years?

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

Reply to Shamika

Yes I am familiar with it, It was those " new fangled plastic things" that started showing up about the
    same time I drifted away from the hobby. I'm sure it has brought about some kind of "standard" in grading and It seems to have opened up a whole new slant on collecting. I own some slabbed stuff that I've picked up but I think the "slab wars" are beginning to drag the hobby down. From what I saw at a local New England show recently it seemed it was the slabs vs the non slabs. It appeared to me that the "slab"guys were the ones touting "investment" and the non "slab" guys were the "collectors".
    They are neat little holders though :-)
    I learned the hard way back in the 80's about "Rare Coin investing", I've come back to "collect" coins.

Bob
  • Options
    Since collectors often do not sell their coins (unless they find a better coin to replace it with) they do not quite operate like dealers. It is also more than just the holder. It is very good to have a professional third party. who is totally neutral to the situation, grade a coin. After that coin is in a slab and graded, both parties pretty much have to accept what it has been graded as. The 2x2 holders are great, but it gives the classic option of writing on there what grade they think it should be and not what it is.

Many excellent or rare coins in 2x2 holders end up being slabs.
    Alexandria Collection

It is better to dwell in the corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman and in a wide house. - Proverbs 25:24
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Be BOB A Lula!!!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file