Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

I was thinking about bidding on

this but did a follow the cert game and from 40133996 to 40134033 is 1 8, 25 9's and 11 10's!!! these guys sure know what to submit!!
Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658

Comments

• Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Jackstraw from Wichata,
    been like this for a while and numerous threads have discussed their skills.
    if you're looking to buy the holder for your registered set, they got 'em.
    lord knows I've bought enough plastic from them.

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    MF is right there have been several threads about DSL, some pro some con. But in all honesty I've won perhaps 100 (maybe more) from them over the years and not ONE was overgraded. Was there low 8's, sure, but sometimes I get them myself,
    all cards were accurately graded within the parameters of the grade. If any I rec'd was a reject job, I woud have returned it.
    As it turns out, many were high grade versions too! It seems their biggest crime is that they submit alot...jay
  • Options
    These guys are really good - I do a ton of biz with them. My only complaint is they don't use Pay Pal.
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭

<< <i>I was thinking about bidding on this but did a follow the cert game and from 40133996 to 40134033 is 1 8, 25 9's and 11 10's!!! these guys sure know what to submit!! >>

Why would DSL's good eye for submitting cards make you apprehensive about bidding. The only reason I wouldn't bid on that card is the fact that gus72@aol.com is bidding on it. Check out the stuff he bids on (and wins usually). If he wants it, he usually gets it. I don't know if he's actually working on any complete sets. He's all over the map. I know he's got a hot start to the '69 Topps Baseball set (Dave, you better watch it if he decides to complete this set image). The only other sets he has registered are the '68 and '76 Topps Baseball sets. Good luck if you decide to bid against him - you really need to want a card to beat him.

JEB.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    it has nothing to do with the fact its dsl. i have given them 1000's also? it has alot to do with the 500 dollar price tagimage
    Collector Focus

• Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    The only problem I have with big dealers is that as soon as something is hot, they submit to the point that the market is destroyed. For people like me who mostly submit to resell, it makes it really tough and I have to get in on something really early. For set collectors, it causes they're sets to drop in value. That is true for almost every set in the 1970's. It's a capitalist society though so more power to them for making a couple extra bucks.
  • Options
    never mind it's been a long dayimage
    Collector Focus

• Options

<< <i>it has nothing to do with the fact its dsl. i have given them 1000's also? it has alot to do with the 500 dollar price tagimage >>

That was my point. Your original post implied that it had something to do with DSL.

I could have probably paid cash for a brand new SUV with what I've forked over to DSL in the past few years, but they do get the best cards. I have no problem ever bidding on any cards they have (just sent payment today for a few more).

Here's a little tip on DSL's shipping charges:

I know they have outrageous charges for 1-3 cards, but what I usually do is build up 5 or more winning auctions before I use their checkout. Their service (Auction Helper) continues to update the invoice as I win more auctions. Unless you are collecting some off the wall sets, you can usually find something you want in their ebay auctions. I have waited up to 2 weeks before sending payment and accumulated 10+ winning bids. Anything over 3 cards is a flat s&h rate of $8 which isn't too bad when all is said and done. They don't have a problem with you doing this.

JEB.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    JEB - You are right about the shipping, if you win 3 cards it costs $8.00, and not much bang for your buck, but if you win 20 cards its the best deal on the planet. My last purchase which arrived last week was for 19 PSA cards...jay
  • Options
    well i guess these guys have alot of unopened or freshly opened 76's. gaspipe has 50,000 vending 76's and i bet you could count on one hand how many 10's he has got! you would have to open probably 4 cases of wax just to yield that many mccovey's and probably 10 cases of rack to do the same or urrrrr cut 36 sheets ?
    Collector Focus

• Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Maybe I ought to submit 50 or more and I'd get some 10's.
  • Options

<< <i>well i guess these guys have alot of unopened or freshly opened 76's. gaspipe has 50,000 vending 76's and i bet you could count on one hand how many 10's he has got! you would have to open probably 4 cases of wax just to yield that many mccovey's and probably 10 cases of rack to do the same or urrrrr cut 36 sheets ? >>

That's quite an implication you're making there. I would hope that the mere fact that DSL has the funds to acquire whatever raw, unopened material that they want would explain their continuous supply of high grade cards. The more money you have, the more you can buy. My guess is that DSL pays top dollar for unopened material and gets a small % of it graded and sells the rest raw (to make up the difference). Check out their auctions every week. They are always selling tons of raw cards in lots of 100 or more of the same player.

I think they go through so many cards that you're only seeing the tip of the "proverbial iceberg".

JEB.
  • Options
    I have purchased over 100 PSA cards from DSL and i will tell anybody that i have never received a card from them that i didn't like or that looked overgraded.

Paul.
    Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

I have purchased a bunch of cards from them...and I've been quite surprised in regards to the very good service they provide for such a large eBay outfit.

John
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    <For set collectors, it causes they're sets to drop in value. That is true for almost every set in the 1970's.>

They sets didn't drop in "value"...they dropped in price. Just because 2-3 bozos want to arbitrarily bid up cards that turn out to be quite plentiful in a particular grade...does not change the real "value" of a particular card/set. I can't hold the dealer responsible for trying to ride as many of these 1970's card bubbles as possible. The cards true scarcity is what it is...and it's certainly not the dealers fault when the true population catches up with demand. It's actually his job to make sure that it gets there. Most of the bubbles will burst down to an equilibrium price and in many cases for 1970's that price is damn near the total cost of grading.

With respect to DSLSPORTS...I have bought quite a few cards from them and have been satisfied so far. I am sure that most submitters have received suprises (both positive and negative) ... they just have a higher quantity of each.

Regards,

Alan

• Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Most of the cards I've received from DSL are fine. I think the question is how do the always seem to get the 10's. Alot of other major sellers too. I dont do this for a living as most of you know, but my stock is as good or better than there's and I cant get those 10's. I'm not complaining because in my opinion there isnt a difference in 9 or 10 in most cases. I cant tell the difference. In fact I've had the same card grade 9 and 10 in the same group and I thought the 9 was better. I've always thought that if you buy a 10 your buying a holder.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've also been happy with DSL so far. But I am concerned about the '69 Stargell 9 and '69 Chance 8 that I recently purchased. Both are significantly short (see previous thread). I'll take the cards to PSA for review at the Labor Day show this fall. I hope they're ok because they are nice cards.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    When I talk about 1970's sets dropping in value, I'm refering to the collector's who put the sets together early. For example, about a year or two ago when 1980 Topps was rarely submitted, the star cards sold for much more than they do now. Like a Ozzie Smith PSA 9 was bought and sold for around $50 each. Therefore at that time the true value of the card was $50. If those were not submitted anymore past that point, the value today would probably still be $50. Instead it's around $15 due to quantity of them out there. Same holds true for all the sets in the 1970's. Therefore, anybody who put there set together early, it has dropped in "value" and price.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    I think anyone who is putting a set together that is after 1975 is paying a premium.

The amount of high grade raw material that will make it PSA in the next few years will have a huge value impact
    on these sets.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    GATOR5GATOR5 Posts: 654
    Wabitt-Carew,

Very true yet you must remember folks putting the set together early already made
    the money and have bought most of the cards raw so they win for they are done. If
    you want it you pay. Not to mention the sets that are completed are ultra high grade.

• Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Steve,

<If those were not submitted anymore past that point, the value today would probably still be $50. Instead it's around $15 due to quantity of them out there.>

Whether they were submitted or not doesn't really change the relative scarcity. They were never really worth the $50 because they just aren't that scarce...you just had a few wahoos overpaying.

A few weeks ago, Joe Orlando came on the board to discuss this very issue as it relates to SMR and why low pop cards weren't accurately reflected in the guide. Here's what he said:

"4) SMR low pop pricing - We will rarely list low pop cards because the pricing is too volatile and we do not want to mislead collectors into thinking that a low pop card today will necessarily be a low pop card tomorrow. We do have a section in SMR that clearly says that low pop commons may sell for a huge premium - it has been in SMR for months and appears on the Note about pricing page - I am confused why some of you are having a hard time finding it. This is a tough issue."

The number of true low pop (defined as cards that you can't find in NM/MT or MINT shape either raw or graded) cards in the 1970's and 1980's just aren't that great.

Gator,

This brings up an interesting point. I have no doubt that you have probably reviewed more 1981 Topps baseball cards than anyone I know. Do you feel that your set "worth" $5,000 more to someone other than yourself simply because PSA has assigned a MINT grade to each card?

Regards,

Alan