Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Mercury Dime Purchases

I picked up 5 new coins for my Mercury Dimes Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1916-1945) registry set.

Nothing too exciting, 2 are fillers for coins I did not have and 3 are upgrades.
Just trying to maintain my position on page 1.
1940 Upgrade from 65FB to 66FB
1941 Upgrade from 65FB to 66FB
1943 Upgrade from 65FB to 67FB

Added filler 1924-D 62FB
Have filler for 1917 63FB, but did no include as not sure if I plan to keep.
Thanks,
Richard T.

Link
Guardian

Comments

• Options
    What are the new coins? How about a link to your set. image

BTW, congrats on the new additions.
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, Richard,

More info please!
    Dates, grades? Like Beth said, link to page.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    LINK

Good Job!
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • Options
    I leaned how to edit my original message and how to add a link!!

Thanks,
    Richard T.
    Guardian
  • Options
    Thanks for the additional info. Some nice new additions to an already nice looking set. image Congrats (on the new Mercs, learning how to edit an existing message and learning how to post a link)! image
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Richard:

Would you kindly stop adding coins to your set (ranked #20) until I add some to mine (ranked #19)? There, now I've asked you kindly, I am sure you will comply!! image!! image!! image!!

In the meanwhile, congrats on the up-grades. I hope you didn't pay much for your "filler" because I have discovered that buying 2 coins of the same date is EXPENSIVE. In truth, finding these boards and seeing other people's sets caused me to substantially up-grade my targeted collection. Before, I would have been satisfied with having mainly MS65FBs and a few MS66FBs. But now, being exposed to other collections, I want to kick my set up a notch or two. So, most of my initial coins have turned out to be "fillers" but I surely didn't mean it that way. Fortunately my wife is unaware of this fact. image

I wonder: Did these boards and exposure to other collectors' sets affect anyone else similarly? I mean, did anyone else decide to move up the grading scale after seeing here what was possible?

Mark
    Mark

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark the Registry has changed the way I was going after Mercury Dimes drastically. Before I happened onto this site I did not own a single Merc after 1934 and the coins were in both PCGS and NGC slabs. Man that has changed.

I just got tired of seeing my set so far down in ths rankings, in the old days before weighting, so a decision was made to buy the later date coins. 65's, for the later dates, were great in the beginning but then the number racket got ahold of the old fart. Also I bought some coins that I did not really care for, they were Okay grade and appearance wise but the darn things were White. Another stratagy was taken and coins with some color have been looked for lately to fill out the set in the later dates.

As far as the early dates, I have always tried to buy the best one that the pocket book could afford. Basically with the early dates that have been upgraded it has mostly just been because I thought another coin was just a little better looking in my opinion. Man I have got Roasted a couple of times by you guys because of my opinion of which was better looking. image

In a nut shell that is what has happened to the way I collected before the Registry and after finding the Registry. Oh....almost forgot. Yes I still do have some of those coins that have been upgraded. As you said having two and sometimes three of the same date makes a somewhat cheap coin a little expensive.

On the selling to the Registry Members. I can see your point. Myself I always just try to see if someone needs the coin for thier set. If I do not think it is worthy of being in a set here it goes on Ebay. Guardian, this excludes the 25P you got from me. I checked the sets and did not see where anyone needed the coin. Goofed a couple of times and sold coins on Ebay that maybe should have been offered to people here. In my own mind though I did not want to take the chance of upsetting someone as they were weirdly toned dimes.

Now back to the original post here. Guardian Nice Up grades....any pictures for us to drool over ?

Man this is PUTZ DAY for me. Answered two questions that needed answers in different threads. Well atleast the comments were made to the corerect person. Still I feel..........imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Take Care.
    Ken
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken:

Before I found this site and the registry, I already was buying PCGS exclusively, so I didn't have a bunch of NGC Mercs. (Why was I buying PCGS only? Simply because I like the look of their slabs better than the NGC slabs. And I am not going after coins so rare that the only speciman might be in an NGC slab. So if I pass on, say, a 1950P MS66 BTW in an NGC slab, that's OK--eventually I'll find one in a PCGS slab that will better match all my other BTWs.) Also, fortunately, I have never purchased a Merc with the same grade because I liked the look of the new one better than the old. This is an advantage of always buying blast white coins--the appearance among the coins is not all that much different! image

But the one aspect of the registry that I wish I could master is taking pictures of coins. I LOVE looking at coins and so I totally understand where you are coming from asking Richard (Guardian) if he has any pictures. Boy, if I had the capability to take decent pictures, I'd add pictures to my sets in an instant. I really appreciate the pictures that you (Ken) and others post. So I know that I'd love to see Richard's upgrades, if he has the skills that I lack....

Mark
    Mark

• Options
    Ken,
    I do not have the capability to take QUALITY pictures yet! I have received some suggestions from forum members on the type equipment I need. I did post one picture of the 1943 MS67FB on my collection. The image was provided to me by the dealer, for which I am thankful.

I plan to update my coins with images as soon as I have the equipment (and the skill to take quality images).

I did like the 1925P that I purchased from you. It fit in my collection nicely.

Thanks,
    Richard T.
    Guardian
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Richard,

It sounds like your enjoying your quest and the Merc gang here so goog for you and congrat's on the new additions.

Mark,

interesting point - should probably be opened on a new thread perhaps even in the U.S. Forum, but I personally made no changes as I originaly had in mind to go for higher grade superior examples but I can see where others would feel the need to conformimage ...

Marc
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Richard

I wouldn't mind having some fillers at this time. A PCGS MS61FB is still a nice dime. I wouldn't mind having a few in my collection now.
    If you upgrade the 1917-D someday keep me in mind.

Nice additions and your set is growing very nicely. You should move up quickly in the not so distance futher.

Nice seeing additions coming to the sets now.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the new addictions,and yes we all like to look at nice shiny mercsimage.Al
  • Options
    Richard,

Congrats on the additions, and a belated welcome to the front page.

Another fine set "breathin' down my back"! imageimage

And every time I see the name, the song "1952 Vincent Black Lightning " pops into my head.
    Thanks! image

Don

Winged Liberty and
    FULL Heads RULE!