Home U.S. Coin Forum

Where does NTC rate among slabs?

I am eyeing a proof half dollar that I need for my collection on Ebay right now
that is slabbed by NTC. I've seen their coins floating around for a year or two, but
have never bought one, or looked that close. Where do they fit in to the reliability
of slabs? Closer to the ICG level, or down with the ACG?

(I could care less if the coin crossed at a PR62/63 level instead of PR64; I just want
to ensure that it crossed if I bought it - no cleaning, etc.)
Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.

Comments

• GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    NTC is rated right at the bottom along with ACG and PCI Gold slabs.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Sight-unseen with an NTC coin. I wouldnt as I view them in the ACG catagory.

You,de have to scope out the coin in-hand to know if you,d agree with the grade.
    Its hit and miss with anything other than the main 3 slabbing companies, PCGS ,NGC,ANACS

JMO
  • Here's a great buy on a NTC Slab!...

Good Grief!

Winged Dime? RARE???
  • SarasotaFrankSarasotaFrank Posts: 1,625 ✭✭
    "THIS COIN VERY RERE CONDITION , I;T GENUINE.THIS COIN HAVE TONE.IF YOU BAY THIS COIN YOU WILL SAVE A LAT OF MONEY. RARE WINGED DIME 1941 NTC GENUINE SUPER.GOOD LUCK. N/R"

holy smoke! I never pass up the opportunity to save a "lat" of money. Interesting that slab had no grade, it is just graded "genuine"

The $8.50 shipping on a $1.50 was a nice touch too!
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    As always, Buy the coin and not the slab. Properly graded coins can be found in all the holders, you just have to hunt harder for ones in the lower echelon slabs.
  • Run! Run! Run!................courtesy of PInk Floydimage
    New shop..........New lessons every day...............

• << <i>THIS COIN VERY RERE CONDITION , I;T GENUINE.THIS COIN HAVE TONE.IF YOU BAY THIS COIN YOU WILL SAVE A LAT OF MONEY. RARE WINGED DIME 1941 NTC GENUINE SUPER.GOOD LUCK. N/R >>

Wonder what this guys education level is?image
    Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭
    NTC is garbage. I would rate them along with ACG as well. I agree in buying the coin and not the slab, but if you ever decide to trade or upgrade, NTC coins are not liquid in the marketplace, in fact, most reputable dealers would rather look at it as a raw coin, the NTC slab only condems the coin.

Brian.
  • I sent some of my Grandfathers Peace Dollars to NGC, PCGS and NTC (thought I would give them a try). All of the services graded the coins pretty much the same , MS63 to MS64. NGC Bodybagged one, as did NTC. These were out of original rolls..lol

A unscientific "test". but they seemed to be right with the other services, and my grading opinion, in this case.

Has anyone else actually sent them any coins to see what kind of grades they assign? I am thinking that there is significant cherry picking potential here due to the lower prices the coins bring on ebay.

Jacki
  • NTC is all alone at the very bottom!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • NTC Slabs are not even worth the plastic they are slabbed in. stay away, you're throwing money down the drain. but they grade maybe 1 out of 50 correctly. if you want to take those odds, then bid. you could get that one coin thats correctly graded.
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.

• << <i>Run! Run! Run!................courtesy of PInk Floydimage >>

Paraphrased, to fit the topic,
    "They're goin' to send it back to buyer in a cardboard box, you'd better run..."
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    Closer to ICG on ther grading scale and closer to ACG on the identifing & attributing problem coins scale.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    I don't put NTC on the same level as ACG. ACG is a fraud and criminal. NTC is just incompetent. I wouldn't buy either.
  • I bet this guy NEVER won any spelling bee's in school. image

DAN
    United States Air Force Retired And Would Do It Again.

My first tassa slap 3/3/04

My shiny cents

imageThe half I am getting rid of and me, forever and always Taken in about 1959
  • MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    It is the same as buying a raw coin except I trust a dealer selling raw coins more than one selling coins in NTC slabs. Some old dealers prefer doing it the old way and don't care. A dealer selling NTc slabs is trying to pass off problem coins. I saw a 1921-S walker grade VF25 in a NTC slab. The arrogant dealer stuck a $925 sticker. The coin had been cleaned and there was a deep scratch on the obverse field. I took a look at it and put it down right away. The dealer told me, I can't sell it in that slab. I'll have to break it out to sell it. Still, it was a big warning sign to never buy a thing from him.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • ERER Posts: 7,345
    Robert,
    You know what to do, right? Stop "eyeing" that coin!image
    When 100% of the responses tell you to run, you run.
  • Robert,

One word from expensive and personal experience: FAAGEDDABOUDIT!!!!
    "DragonAzz doesn't strike me as a nutcase." clw54 06/18/06

The good thing about having multiple personalities is that there's always a designated driver.

Yes, I'm an agent of Satan but my duties are largely ceremonial.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't put NTC on the same level as ACG. ACG is a fraud and criminal. NTC is just incompetent. I wouldn't buy either. >>

I put them on the same level. What makes you differentitate the two that way, Bob?
    I find it an interesting coincidence that NTC came on the scene just about the time the sleazebag dealers stopped using ACG, as their stuff wasn't selling any more. I wouldn't even be surprised if AH owned part of NTC.
  • The fact is, you're going to find grading problems in each service's holder. It is safer to trade sight-unseen with PCGS, NGC and ANACS coins, however. I have seen correctly graded NTC and ACG coins but not often. NTC is actually just a tad bit better than ACG in my opinion. You can get a wonderful deal on one of these pieces if you look at it in person and decide that it is appropriately graded because these coins are quite often sold for dirt cheap prices,unless you have a dishonest dealer. For sight-unseen trading, I do not recommend it. Only buy slabs from these companies if you have personallly viewed the coin and like it.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree with those who would say never buy a coin in a third tier slab, wont even consider it.
    The trick is to just forget about the grade NTC (or ACG, or PCI) puts on the slab. Look at the coin, and look at the price. If you like the coin, and grade it yourself as, say, a Very Fine 20, and it's offered at a Fine price, who cares if the slab says it's an XF? Buy it! Break it out!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    I disagree with the last two posts. Sure it is possible to find a great coin in a NTC holder but it is unlikely. Plus, they slab fake coins and label them as real. There was an article in Coin World written by an ANACS grader. They showed a 1912-S MS65 gold Eagle in a NTC holder sent to them for a crossover. It was a fake. You can find coins for a discounted price in NTC holders but are you saving any money when the coin is a fake?
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Merc,

Of course you're not saving money when the coin is a fake. That' why I specifically implied that one should purchase the item in the NTC, ACG, etc. holder only if they are content with it and agree with the decision. Yes, this is difficult to do if the counterfeit in the slab is a cast copy. However, what I mean to say is that if you see a piece at a show, say a Walking Lib. Half that is graded MS66 and the dealer has an MS64 price on it and you feel it would get a 65 with PCGS, you go for it. I agree with you 100% that this is an unlikely event but it's possible. As for sight-unseen trading with the third tier companies, no way. You're going to get taken almost every single time. As I said previously, only buy the third tier if you know what you're doing and feel confident with your own grading when purchasing the piece in person.
  • Oh well, I guess that I am not filling that hole in my collection this week!image
    I am not confident enough in my ability to detect cleaning / other damage
    to trust a 3 day return policy being sufficient to see a problem. On the
    happy side, the hunt is almost as much fun as buying the coin, so the hunt
    continues! image
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds like a good decision, each buyer must asses his skills and the coins.
    what was the coin? year type and grade?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• It was a 1872 half dollar labeled PR64. I need the dime, half and dollar proof,
    and the CC quarter and CC dollar and I am complete on non gold 1872, so I
    hate to pass up a chance to get one. The last one I saw was a PR66 (NGC I think)
    that was more than I can afford right now.
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    How is your ability to judge the quality of the coin yourself? If you trust your own judgement then ignore the slab and look at the coin. If you like it, buy it. Don't let the people here run you off from a coin you want just because they don't like the slabbing company. Just make sure the COIN is what you want.
  • Well said conder.
  • Well, I have been collecting for a few years, but I am still working on my
    ability to judge problems. I bought a whizzed coin, and even after it was
    slabbed as whizzed, I couldn't see the problem. I also have not been able
    to detect old cleaning,etc. My most embarasing mistake was arguing with
    a dealer selling a 1872 2 cent as VF. I thought that it was a strong fine at
    best, and haggled the price down a bit. It came back from PCGS as a VF35!
    So I have learned to be careful in buying raw coins, and I am leary of paying
    $500 or so for a half that may have problems that are beyond my ability to
    detect. ($500 is a significant part of my coin budget for the rest of the year.)
    I guess I just need more experience dealing with grading.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file