Home U.S. Coin Forum

Pricing on a MS65 1960D FBL Frankie

Can anybody tell me the approximate cost of a 1960D MS65 FBL all white Frankie ? Also, since I live on the East Coast, where would you send your coins to be graded? Thank you.

Eddye
eddye_2001

Comments

• LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    Tough call on a 60d, the prices are dropping, you can find a PCGs example for anywhere between 500 - 1k...... yep, depending on quality, not all ms65s are the same....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • I can't help with a price, but I live on the east coast and all of my coins go to Newport Beach, CA.....Ken
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    the price REALLY drops for a MS64 FBL - I got one last week for $35

if this is raw and you are buying, you really need to know how to grade
  • wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭
    $500 Ebay
    $700 coin show
    $1000 R& I.

LOLimage

Brian
    again expect to pay strong for PQ pieces.........
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • I just got one in 64FBL for $32.74. Quite a difference in prices between 64 & 65......Ken
  • Thank you all for the info!!!!!!

Eddye
    eddye_2001
  • MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    I bought one of these in a PCGS holder for $500 3 1/2 years ago. It is blast white and has a full solid strike. Then I bought one in MS64 in a NGC holder for $15 that looks almost as good. There is a little scuff mark on the bell and I guess that kept it at a 64. Prices can be crazy on Franklins.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    This one was an NGC crossover believe it or not. It's got probably a few more little bitty dings on it more than I would like - but the luster on it is sooooooo booming that I think it pushed it over the edge. The reverse is beautiful with very full bell lines - as I said it was in an NGC holder. I bought it a while back so it was cheaper then, but I would venture to say that this one would be in the $600-$700 range.

Frank

• pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't you read Wondercoin's post. A white 60-D Franklin is a prized rarity worth 20x Trends.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭
    Didn't you read Wondercoin's post. A white 60-D Franklin is a prized rarity worth 20x Trends.

With regard to the total population of high grade MS Franklins in the 60's, including the 1960-D, a large percentage are brillant/white, and hence should not warrant a premium just for being brillant/white. Other dates such as those from 1955-1958, particularly above MS65 are usually toned, so those dates in the higher grades, again particualry above MS65 typically bring premiums, sometimes huge premiums.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭

I don't think any year after 1958 is tough to find brilliant for Franklins. High quality and brilliant is another story. There are only a little over 100 Franklins slabbed 66FBL for the years 59,60,61,62, and 63. And that is for both mints. Mitch is right about the rarity of white gem coins for certain years. mdwoods
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    60(d) is worth a substantial premium pretty toned and virtually all coins come white or some shade thereof. A perfect example of a coin worth more monster toned and expected to come brilliant. Night and day as compared to the 55(p) - a true rarity in blast white pop top.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    I think PMH was making a wise crack about the ridiculously high prices of the 20x remark.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    I think PMH was making a wise crack about the ridiculously high prices of the 20x remark.

Oh, so now you are a mind reader too eh Lucy????image

Edited to add: What no SMACK? image

Lucy: Water off a fish' back. image

Rick T. priced the 57(p) in PCGS-MS66FBL blast white around 25x+ the price of a typical toned coin. You can go to his site right now and see it. It is not my view on the situation - it is reality. And, I totally understand why he did - the coin is quite rare IMHO. The coin will remain rare even if forum members want to poke fun at the coins, the prices, or the originator of a message.

Wondercoin image
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    No mdwoods not a mind reader, thats just how I took it....

Rick T. is asking way to much on that one I think, but Rick will come down considerably and give a hell of a deal to repeat customers for blast white coins, as he did on my 53d, he didn't want to bury me in the coin with no room what-so-ever....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    Mitch - I really don't think the point is poking fun. The point for me is this. We talk about monster toned Morgans and complain about some of the things coin doctors are doing to imitate toning and what it's doing to the market of genuinely toned coins. Now, take a mildly toned 57 Franklin in MS67 condition, expertly dip it (NCS does a great job of this) and voila - can you tell me without reservation that it can't be done? I think it can, hence, while I appreciate the fact that genuinely white coins of this era are rare, it can also be said that their market is volatile because these coins can also be dinked with... and I would venture to say more easily than doctoring them up to look toned. In addition, when it comes time to sell - you'd better have a ready buyer, because as a lot of folks will attest to on these boards, unless someone is dying for this coin, it'll fetch whatever the market can bare, and that's usually somewhere around grey sheet prices. Lets just hope no one is in a position where they have to sell quickly and get stuck losing big bucks!

Frank
    Rick T is asking alot, but he has a true Conditional Rarity there. I imagine he will come down some on the price, but it will still
    be a substantial premium for a coin which is common to find toned. And it will be worth it in my opinion. mdwoods

Rick T. will work with repeat buyers and make every attempt to keep one satisified... I am not disputing the 57 is a scarce coin in brilliant condition, but Franks post makes alot of sense to me... Tough to get rid of if the need arises, unless a dealer gives you a reasonable price though it would still be high..... if you pay a huge premium without thinking, better also buy a shovel....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    Lucy - I agree. Rick is terrific. And, would likely come down to 20x the price of a toned 57(p) coin image

Anyway, check out the pricing on the 57(d) as well - I recall Rick T. had a blast white of that date as well. Same point.

One final point. A few years back the very first blast white PCGS-MS66FBL 1949(p) Frankie came up for auction (that I am aware of). This is a coin that was perhaps $750 in typical toned MS66FBL at the time? Registrycoin won it for his set and I believe he had to pay nearly $7,500 for the coin as I recall. I was surprised to see Rick T. now has for sale another one for under $5k as I recall. What a terrificly scarce Franklin, but, it also shows roughly a 5x jump simply for "white" on a somewhat expense coin in the first place. Try to find a 49(p) blast white Franklin in PCGS-MS66FBL and you'll see just how hard it is. image

Wondercoin
    wondercoin, no need to attempt to lecture me on rarity or scarceness of blast white Franklins..... My complaint is the ridiculously high prices on them...... Don't dismiss my expertise in this field.... I know you want these prices as high as possible...
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    Frank - doesn't your point about resale of super blast white coins also apply to super toned jewels that command large premiums? Also, aren't guys like Rick T. strong buyers of the blast white Franklins? heck - how did they all get to his site in the first place? image

I am also a strong buyer of blast white Franklins and so are many other guys. I am not sure the market is as weak as you mildly suggest. But, of course, if someone is forced to "fire sale" their coins, they will be in trouble (in most series).

Wondercoin
    Mitch:

Why do you suppose that as you go down in grade, the likelyhood of finding white coins gets better and better? I'm not trying to be smart or funny - I'm just asking.
    Lucy: First, this is a free country - I can "lecture" anytime I please. image If you want to ignore it, that's fine too.

I want prices no higher than the next guy - I actively buy Franklins and pay the price for them - whether the series prices are high or low - it really makes little difference to me. When prices are low, I buy many, many coins and really enjoy it. When prices are high, I buy coins too. If they crash tomorrow, I will enjoy buying more coins. If they skyrocket tomorrow, I might not even sell the coins I have. Another time I can show you all the times I chose to not sell into a seller's market.

Wondercoin
    Why do you suppose that as you go down in grade, the likelyhood of finding white coins gets better and better? I'm not trying to be smart or funny - I'm just asking

I think most will be roll coins, the best coins were found in the card board mint sets. That's why white franklins are uncommon for 58 and earlier years in high grades, but common in lower grades. IMO, mdwoods

well so can I, and my list of HepKitty approved dealers is very short.....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wondercoin

"You can go to his site right now and see it. It is not my view on the situation - it is reality."

Not my reality image.

As for the "prized rarity worth 20x Trends" comment, in my world no coin (read that modern, classic, toned or blast white) is worth a 20x premium based on a one point difference in grade or what's might be described as exceptional, outstanding, vibrant color or blinding, stunning, radiant luster for a particular date, grade, luster, color combination. I have never seen a 66 that is so head and shoulders above numerous 65's that it's worth 20x more than the 65. But that's just me.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
    Frank: There are tons of original roll coins still available for nearly every date on the series and those rolls are simply filled with low end coins. I do not dispute that building a set of blast white MS63 or MS64 coins would be simple. As you know, Franklins are truly scarce in the very highest grades and usually the coins that get those high grades are the coins where toning can hide marks. Those "naked" blast white coins hide nothing. Every blemish is there for the graders to see image

Wondercoin
    "As for the "prized rarity worth 20x Trends" comment, in my world no coin (read that modern, classic, toned or blast white) is worth a 20x premium based on a one point difference in grade or what's might be described as exceptional, outstanding, vibrant color or blinding, stunning, radiant luster for a particular date, grade, luster, color combination. I have never seen a 66 that is so head and shoulders above numerous 65's that it's worth 20x more than the 65. But that's just me. "

pmhinic: I can appreciate where you are coming from.

I need to go get a drink - for goodness sake, now Lucy appears upset with me.

Wondercoin image

<< <i>Frank - doesn't your point about resale of super blast white coins also apply to super toned jewels that command large premiums? Also, aren't guys like Rick T. strong buyers of the blast white Franklins? heck - how did they all get to his site in the first place? >>

Once again Mitch - I'm trying to decypher here - so here's what I know. A friend on the board has a gorgeously toned 1948D half. I would say that it is considerably above average. After discussing the matter with him, I suggested that he contact a "strong buyer" of both toned coins and Franklins who has been discussed on this thread (it wasn't you bytheway) - anyway, after seeing the coin, he was offered $1400 for it. Now, maybe we don't know what a toned monster is, and maybe we don't realize that the grade that PCGS puts on the slab can and often gets questioned. The bottom line is that in this scenario, no one cared about whether the coin was a fantastic toner, blast white, or the fact that it could've aspirations at a higher grade. The bottom line is that he was offered about $600 less than a typical 48D sometimes goes for. Moral of the story - a coin will generally only bring what the market will bear for it, unless you're in a position to withold it until more buyers wanting that coin appear. So, do you pay an arm and a leg above the established value of a coin just because it is perceived to be rare? That's a chance you take. I paid a considerable premium for a 49S prooflike Franklin - the best I've ever seen bar none. However, if I ever have to sell it I'd better find someone who truly appreciates these pieces.

Frank
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭
    image Quick, someone post a beautiful Franklin (and please don't tell us the grade or how much you paid it, or how much you would sell it for) so that everyone can be happy again.image

edited for spelling
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.

<< <i> I paid a considerable premium for a 49S prooflike Franklin >>

ahhhhhh...... the only problem with that prooflike rarity is that it isn't in my stash!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file