Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the oldest ORIGINAL roll of coins that you've seen?

SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
A friend of mine told me that Hugh Sconyers once showed him a BU roll of 1856 Seated Quarters, with the bank wrapper.

Seth
Collecting since 1976.

Comments

• Options

<< <i>A friend of mine told me that Hugh Sconyers once showed him a BU roll of 1856 Seated Quarters, with the bank wrapper.

Seth >>

W0W...the oldest I seen is a 1894 Morgan Dollar roll....
  • Options
    Well, an 1894 BU Morgan dollar roll isn't exactly an item to be shy about.....
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I owned a roll of 1892 dimes. I was 19 and took out a 90 day "note" to buy them. The local banker was a part time dealer which really helped. Sold five as singles, the rest in small/ large lots depending on quality. Did OK. A similiar roll was recently sold at auction by Superior. K
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A friend of mine told me that Hugh Sconyers once showed him a BU roll of 1856 Seated Quarters, with the bank wrapper.

I'll bet you they were dated 1857, not 1856.

I've seen a roll of 1835 half cents. Also, I suspect that there were some roll quantities of Randall hoard cents (1816-20) floating around through the 60's or 70's, but I've never seen them.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Andy, you are probably right, as I was typing, I'm thinking 56?57?58?....just forgot the exact year. I'm getting old.

Seth
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    I've seen a gorgeous original roll of 1854 Arrows half-dimes and handled quite a few of the singles after they were graded by PCGS. I've also seen a roll of 1851 Three Cent Silvers, which were quite spectacular.

Mike
    DE FALCO NUMISMATIC CONSULTING
    Visit Our Website @ www.numisvision.com
    Specializing in DMPL Dollars, MONSTER toners and other Premium Quality U.S. Coins

*** Visit Mike De Falco's NEW Coin Talk Blog! ***
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I had no idea original rolls of seated coins still were around until the latter part of the 20th century. What I'd give just to see a roll of seated quarters. I know you can still find rolls of Morgan dollars even today, but wow, I am impressed.

Any pictures?

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember when Jim Halperin's New England Rare Coin Galleries offered either a roll or half roll of 1860-0 half dimes in the early to mid-1970's. I think they were asking the ungodly price of $150-$200 a coin. I wanted so badly to buy one.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1999 SQs image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    I once owned a roll of BU 1878-S Morgans, all MS62/64. This quite a few years ago. I also owned a role of BU 1914-S Saints, all MS60/63 (for $42. a coin).
  • Options
    1946D Lincoln cents. PCGS has been sitting on two of them since June 1.image
  • Options
    the oldest I had seen was a roll of 1909-S Pennies... (Sorry NOT VDB)
    Alexandria Collection

It is better to dwell in the corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman and in a wide house. - Proverbs 25:24

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file