Home U.S. Coin Forum

Would you prefer smaller slabs that could be collected in an album?

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
Imagine if PCGS and NGC offered smaller (2" x 2"?) slabs that could fit in slots in a well-crafted and compact album. Would you prefer this to the current slabs? Why?

Personally, I think it would make collecting slabs much more fun.
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    yes - then could display them on a page

would be more difficult to include all information - unless on top edge or something

probably would not be able to fit my $50 Kellog gold pieces in (oops - I guess I don't have any of those)
  • SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes Andy, great idea.
    There is just too much wasted space on a slab. The more compact a collection is, the better it looks.
    Collecting since 1976.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would have some size problems with larger crown-sized pieces, though a US silver dollar and most US issues would fit. ANACS makes a nice compact slab. If you could combine the following traits, you'd have my "perfect" slab:

PCGS and/or NGC - more widely recognized grading standards
    ANACS- smaller size
    ICG- Intercept insert
    SEGS- top label, more durable and scratch-resistant plastic

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Another reason is it diverts attention from the coin (maybe that's preferable for the registry guys). Is artwork displayed in a relatively plain frame or one that has all sorts of documentation about the piece within it?
  • barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,228 ✭✭
    If you want uniformity in the slab size, it really wouldn't be pracical to make them any smaller then the old ratteler size because of the size of silver dollars and twenty dollar gold pieces.

Now if you wouldn't mind a smaller teir of slabs for smaller coins, then it's doable, but remember you have to have enough room for all the nformation currently on slabs. Another reason that it probably won't happen.

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • I think that would be a great idea!
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    My $50.00 Pan Pacs wont fit into the 2X2 slabs, good idea though.

dragon

• << <i>The more compact a collection is, the better it looks. >>

You have it all wrong Seth,the BIGGER a collection the better it IS. image
  • bozboz Posts: 1,405
    Wouldn't matter to me. An album would not fit in my safe deposit box, and I do not like keeping my coins at home. Too much can happen, and most of it isn't good.
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • PCGS would make a killing with the Five Dollar reslabbing fee!! image
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely. The slab would have the bare minimum of extra space corresponding to the coin size. Obviously a Silver dollar would need a bit more room to contain the usefull data over, say a lincoln cent or three cent silver.

I was getting bored of coins until I decided to put all my coins in a nice dansco album. All of a sudden the combination of many coins all complimenting and contrasting each other was a wonder to behold.

pity the collectors who have high priced slabs packed away in a safe deposit box someplace.

Tyler
  • supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    Yes. In fact I would like form-fitting circular holders which could be placed in good ol' fashioned round-hole albums. Minimal grade/serial number info microprinted around the rim.

PCGS could charge a premium both for the slabs and for albums designed to hold them, as well as for special "piggyback" slabs that would hold the round ones for compatibility with existing boxes.

I think it would be a huge success. Current slabs are bad enough with my dollar collection... I can't imagine what the Merc and Lincoln guys do.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My $50.00 Pan Pacs wont fit into the 2X2 slabs, good idea though. >>

Awww, poor fella. I guess that means you'll have to get rid of 'em. I'll swap you some nice Ike dollars. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My $50.00 Pan Pacs wont fit into the 2X2 slabs

No problem. The coins belong in an original copper frame, not in slabs.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Really kind of an interesting idea - I think it would be worth pursuing. Conder101 better get started on his next book edition...
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No... I like the PCGS boxes.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    different slab size wouldn't matter much to some collectors, who routinely crack coins out anyway. image

The current slab size is pretty convenient, though, and I don't see it changing any time soon.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    I think it,d be cool to have an option between standard size, or `series` size.

A series slab would be ofcourse the tinyest slabs for coins 5c-size and smaller,
    next bigger series slab could be 25c-50c-size coins.
    then the standard size now.

It could make handleing of a small series easier as a group and saves storage space.
    Probably not practical to do so though.
  • callawayc7callawayc7 Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    I would like them smaller too. These regular slabs get to be a little too cumbersome once you get more than a few.image
  • Smaller would be nicer. I have 2 Eagle binders for my slabbed collection, and they
    do not fit in smaller safe deposit boxes; I had to rent a very large one before I
    bought a safe for my house.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭
    Airtites, Eagle pages and "D"ring binders from Staples.

Bill

09/07/2006

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file