Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Finally Completed a Type Set

I just obtained the last coin (that pesky 21' Peace) needed to complete my 20th Century Type Set, Major Types, No Gold (1900-1999).image

I am now at #8.image

There are a few upgrades I can do at a reasonable cost, however, they will not move me up a notch.image

Now I can concentrate on the Basic Type Set proposed by Greg (Typetone). The ones I need in this set are rather expensive and will be slow going but fun to find in grades I can afford.

BTW, this is not a rich mans set. I am currently at $57.627 (changed from $.57627 on first post) per Set Rating Point. How is everyone else doing on their Cost Per Set Rate Points????

Larry

Comments

• TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Larry:

Congratulations on finishing up. The 21 Peace was one of the last I bought as well. I will have to figure out my cost per point. What an interesting idea.

Greg
  • DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Popcoin,

Are you sure you did the math correctly?

I happened to have figures for my (20th Century Type Set, Major Types, No Gold) handy, and I came up with a figure much higher than yours. Granted, my GPA is a little higher. Even so, I think your cost of $0.57 is way low. Multiply that by your point average (65.70) and you get a gross set cost of about $38.00.
    Dan
  • Sure rub it in and push me down a notch. image

Congrats Larry
    Bill

09/07/2006
    Larry:

Can you go over how you do your calculation?

Greg
  • Super! Great accomplishment, you should be extremely proud.
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • OOOOPS,

Those darn decimal points, LOL. That should be $57.627 per Set Rating Point. First post edited.
    I knew that sounded toooo gooood.

(Cost / Set Rating Points)

Sorry,
    Larry
    Larry:

So, are you saying that your set cost about $3,786? (ie 65.7*57.627).

Greg
  • Greg,

That is correct and that includes shipping and handling. I had a lot of help from board members and sniping on ebay. I collect mostly common dates and just before the grade price jump.

This just shows that you can build a decent set without spending an arm and leg if you work at it, be patient and enjoy the hunt.

Thanks,
    Larry
  • PS: and willing to mix proofs (which I love) with business strikes, LOL.

BTW, thanks Greg, Dan, Tom and sorry 'bout that Bill.

Larry
  • CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great Job.
    I am one coin away from completing the 1900-1999 circulating type set, so I know how you feel on waiting for the last coin. My MS set will cost a little over $80.00 per point. They are all well stuck white coins. Congratulations, and maybe see you at the coin show this weekend. I live in WC, too... ric
    My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

My MS set costs over $580.00 per point ...... imageimage
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    If you wanted to be #15 like me, you could have done it for $52.56 a point image

Nice set - I think everyone should have a 20th Century Type Set because they are imageimageimage
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Congratulations on finishing! Type sets are definately the nicest way
    to put a collection together - it is boring to see the same coin over and
    over again.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Larry,
    Looks good! Congrats!

I see I'm down another place. I think a few of my coins are pulling me back... the MS62 Barber Quarter and the AU58 Barber Half. Maybe I should hunt some upgrades....
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Thanks, Ric, JC, Relayer, Robert and Brian.

Ric, where exactly do you live in WC. I will not make the show (I find it hard to go to a show when I have NO money to spend, LOL).

And congrats on all of your sets also (finished or in progress).

Larry