Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ANACS new policy with regards to AT

islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
Im sorry I cannot remember the thread about 2 to 3 weeks ago approx. someone mentioned about ANACS new policy of slabbing coins using the NET Grade method with AT coins. How do they word that on the slab and there has got to be close ANACS people that perhaps monitor this board and could jump in and ellaborateimage

YCCTidewater.com

Comments

• Options
    Clarification please: What does AT stand for?
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    I once saw a 1909-S VDB in an ANACS slab that said EF Details, Net FR02, Cleaned, Corroded, Damaged, Tooled. I would assume they'd have enough space to write Art. Toned or Artificially toned or something to that effect. I'm against this new policy of slabbing artificially toned coins because problems are more likely to arise on pieces like this, even after being holdered. Just as PVC reacts with coins and thus will not be encapsulated, so too can the chemicals or methods used in artificial toning. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. What's it coming to? Pretty soon you'll be able to slab your counterfeits, graded, and it will say counterfeit on the slab, how are those going to be net graded? Sounds hypothetical but it probably isn't too far off when you think about it!
  • Options
    IwogIwog Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭
    AT stands for attractively toned.
    "...reality has a well-known liberal bias." -- Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Iwog is a wag, AT stands for artificially toned. (Heat, chemicals etc)
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    it will say Artifically toned on the holder, I have seen it before
  • Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    How much of a point drop would there be for AT? I mean with something like Corrosion, it could be not so bad so maybe slight drop or hideous with big drop but AT is AT.
    YCCTidewater.com
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Well, with NCS they leave the net grade up to you (how it should be). I think ANACS nets it differently according to how well the AT is done.
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    the one I saw said UNC details NETms60 Artifically Toned
  • Options
    UNC details NET MS60
    PCGS,NGC & ANACS certified toned Morgan dollar dealer.
  • Options
    Here is what it looks like:

Lori
  • Options
    First they need to learn to detect whether a coin is real or fake before commenting on the toning!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    IwogIwog Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭
    Since no one can detect an AT coin for certain, it's really only a guessing game.
    "...reality has a well-known liberal bias." -- Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    Since it is a guessing game, why not use the term Questionable Toning? Isn't there another grading service that uses that term on their slabs?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file