Home U.S. Coin Forum

a trime for Trime

sincerely michael

Comments

• GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    image Me likes!
    imageimage

• TrimeTrime Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭
    Michael, That is the one. Great eye appeal; beautiful toning but not too dark and not blotchy. If there were a color fault it would be with the few white patches on the reverse peaking through. No obvious marks. the strike is sharp in the shield and legend but a little weak in the date. Luster looks great at the periphery and moves nicely toward the center. As I recall this was in YHO a 65+++. I would not quarrel a 66.
    This would enhance any collection. Thanks
    Trime
  • What a beauty.
  • Looks like mine!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Just a matter of trime...
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    what a pretty little fish scale! (that is what you called those isn't it?)
  • tincuptincup Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like my old home-town mechanic would say whenever he would try to sell me an used car "It's a honey!"

That toning is just awesome. When the trimes finally have their day in the sun, that coin will be quite popular.
    ----- kj
  • TrimeTrime Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭
    Michael,
    The more I look at this coin the more I like it!
    It looks nicer in the daylight.
    Trime
  • ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice one!
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    imageimageimage
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wowie! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • NicNic Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great trime Michael ... eye appeal plus! K
  • LuvdawgsLuvdawgs Posts: 1,512
    What gorgeous toning, michael. I love that trime!

• michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    thanks for all the great replies

trime

those white patches are really not there in person sight seen as scans can be very deceiving the coin is blown up so many times it gets distorted and things that seem like distractions are not there in person!!

imagine if you will a beautiful young slender asian woman and her face is blown up so many times just like this coin that her pores on her face show and then she looks well not pretty with craters on her face

and even though in real life she is a knockout looks wise!!

LOL well i think you get my drift

another thing about the scan is there is a slight clashed die that you cant see
    that is on the top obverse of the coin just above the top shield point there is the curve of the c from the c on the reverse

also the date is actually fully struck but because of the clashed dies it sort of flattened ever so slightly the date at 6 pm on the obverse
    and if you look at the corresponding reverse of the coin at 12 oclock you will see the top star slightly flattened this is just the clash of the die hardly worth mentioning some/most would not notice

the coin is a REALLY nice ms65

with a nice ms66 obverse in overall technical aspects and a nice ms65 reverse overall in techical aspects

BUT ......................................

and ms66 easy!!
    for obverse eye appeal
    strike obverse and reverse
    color obverse
    lustre obverse

the reverse is ms66+++ in terms of
    lustre
    eye appeal
    color

hence the ms65 grade and again a really nice ms65 overall

i bet at pcgs they had problems grading this coin but i bet they looked at the price and felt this was just a nice ms65 in terms of what the coin is worth pricewise i wonder what the pcgs ms66 coins look like? they would have to be totally knockout coins if this ms65 looks like this!

so for me that is okie as the coin is NOT maxed out in its holder
    and is worth as much out of its respective holder as in the holder this is what really makes this coin special as such

i guess it really needs to be sight seen to see these aspects of this coin

sincerely michael

hi there goose yes they these trimes silver three cent pieces were so small and super thin

they were just like fish scales and since they circulated and were minted on the east coast near the fishing ports of call philly and nyny i am sure many other places too..........lol

many thought and it "caught" .....lol on that they were called fish scales!

of course this term has not been used for 100 give or take? years and in a coin contest i bet many would not know this term!

just like the term godzilla was used for a fantastic toned coin and i forgot the dealer that first used the term monster in terms of a great toned coin at a show maybe 17? years ago and now the term stuck but it is currently out of favor and hardly anyone uses the term godzilla anymore!! monster has replaced it

but monster and rainbow are currently greatly overused terms for coins that may be nice but just do not make the grade in terms of being a monster let alone rainbow toned

in fact i see on these boards and elsewhere monster and rainbow are two of the most overused terms for coins that well just do not make it!!

anyway hope everyone has a good weekend

sincerely michael
  • pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin Michael!

Now if they would have only made them about three times the size of the actual coin this would be one of my favorite designs image.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
    thanks pmh

let me ask you this what franklin business strike date/mintmark is the hardest to get with great toning?

sincerely michael
  • FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Michael - any of the issues from 59 on by virture of the fact that mint sets no longer came in the cardboard holders. Every once in a while you'll get beautiful album toned examples, but they're few and far in between.

Frank
    thanks frank

i would love to see a monster toned 1961 to 63 franklin

sincerely michael

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file