Home U.S. Coin Forum

By far the funniest Ebay auction text that I have read in a long, long time. Warning: You may laugh

Here it is, its self explanatory.
LOL. Have fun.

Ebay Ike auction. Laugh away!

Brian.

Comments

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Hehe, that's CLASSICS, a member here.

Kind of sorry you linked it, though, it's on my snipe list. image

Russ, NCNE
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yup its funny Brian - but I don't like what I see either - I don't blame PCGS for sending it back!!
  • wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭
    Russ:
    Sorry, but its not on my sniping list. I can live without that reverse.

Brian.
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That coin looks like it was dipped in Hogwash.image

Paul
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    If he wrote his email to PCGS in all caps like he did that auction description I can see why they never answered him back..............
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • I still don't get how these colored coins don't look corroded or chemically pushed somehow, to everyone.
    24HourForums.com - load images, create albums, place ads, talk coins, enjoy the community.
  • DanCDanC Posts: 1,189
    GEE I WONDER WHY HE "YELLS" THROUGHT THE ENTIRE LISTING? AOL USER?
  • It doesn't look AT to me.
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    the envelope doesn`t look like it has ever had anything in it much less a big ol silver dollar.

I grade the envelope MS-63
  • how did he get the potato in such a small envelope? image
  • coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    All caps and misspellings galore, not to mention bad grammar. I'll pass, doesn't matter what the coin is. Professional representation of one's self comes before the transaction as far as I'm concerned. If you can't spell, get a dictionary. If you can't type, get someone else to do it for you. It's really not rocket science.

Oh...did I mention that's one of the ugliest coins I've ever seen?
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • How is it when someone puts it in an envelope for 20 years it's "gorgeous" toning and if he spends a week or so doctoring it up he's ruined the coin.. the only difference I see is the amount of time it takes.. the coin has been chemically altered either way..
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    I'll join the chorus of those who are glad it didn't get slabbed. The submitter is confusing 'original' toning with 'market acceptable' toning. Assuming his story is true, he thinks PCGS should slab it since its original regardless of what it looks like. PCGS (correctly in my view) concluded that the toning was not market acceptable and bagged it. In this case I think they did us a favor.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• CLASSICSCLASSICS Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

<< <i>Hehe, that's CLASSICS, a member here.

Kind of sorry you linked it, though, it's on my snipe list. image

Russ, NCNE >>

............hi russ........iam not sorry you linked my auction.....iam glad you did........i guess when you tell the truth some people thinks it funny.........but one thing i have learned, after being in the hobby since the 1950,s......some people will always have an opinion, and will think what they want no matter what the truth is........

<< <i>All caps and misspellings galore, not to mention bad grammar. I'll pass, doesn't matter what the coin is. Professional representation of one's self comes before the transaction as far as I'm concerned. If you can't spell, get a dictionary. If you can't type, get someone else to do it for you. It's really not rocket science.

Oh...did I mention that's one of the ugliest coins I've ever seen? >>

.................thanks for the kinds words...........maybe some day i can be as perfect as you..........you have a lot of class...........
  • ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gee all they said was questionable....do you think that rates a HOGWASH maybe a CHICKENWASH but not a HOGWASH
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com

<< <i>gee all they said was questionable....do you think that rates a HOGWASH maybe a CHICKENWASH but not a HOGWASH >>

......................thats right.. they said questionable....not artificial.........chickenwash.......i like that......image
  • supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    Classics -- are you sure you're not mistaken on this coin's history?
  • BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    How can any of you possibly agree with PCGS for bagging the coin, IF the history of the coin is as stated?????
    I don't give a rat's *ss whether the coin is "pretty", or "ugly" or whatever. If the that coin toned in the manner that the seller stated, PCGS' JOB, is to identify that type of toning as natural, and slab the damn coin.
    I can understand the point of "market acceptable", when it comes to certain toning patterns, but whether someone finds a coin attractive or not shouldn't factor in to the decision on whether or not to slab the coin. That's a seperate issue. If the coin toned up extremely dark (for conversations sake, without causing damage to the surface of the coin), should we expect PCGS to bag the coin, because it has lost some appeal?
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    When the standard of "market acceptable" is the basis for slabbing or bagging a coin, it should be obvious that not only do naturally toned coins get bagged, but AT coins will get slabbed. The AT coins that get bagged are the ones that look it. The ones that are market acceptable, well....

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

I was originally going to post to this thread in support of Classics and his coin, because I have handled a group of coins with very similar toning (some of which are now in PCGS holders, by the way).

Then I realized it was *very* similar to a coin I handled, which I bought several years ago, as part of a group of coins with "toilet paper" toning (as I understand it, they were found in an estate wrapped in toilet paper and rubber bands, and all were vividly toned). I sold that coin just over 2 years ago to a board member (who if I recall correctly resold it on eBay some time later).

I'm not one to stick my nose in others' business, and I realize the coin business is tough... but on the other hand I don't like being lied to.

I also exchanged a PM with Classics to give him an opportunity to change his story gracefully, but unfortunately he just reaffirmed the eBay version of the coin's history.

So I dug up the photo of the coin I handled, and here it is compared to the eBay coin (eBay coin on top).

The lighting is different, but it is unquestionably the same coin. And it did not spend the last 30 years in Classic's possession in that envelope.
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say we get a third party opinion here. Is there a doctor in the house? Dr. Aswimmer, is your pager on?
  • gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    Same coin Supercoin!

GSAGUY

P.S. Man, and I thought I had a good memory.image You ought to post this in a thread all to its own.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tad, I admit I got caught up in the story of the coin in the auction description and placed my bid. It looks like, in the end, someone wanted it for one dollar more than I did. Now, reading your valid explanation of this coin's history I am grateful that someone did! Classics?

peacockcoins

northcoin and braddick, just to clarify... to the best of my knowledge, the coin is not doctored, just the story. And as I mentioned, several other coins from the same group that I purchased are now in PCGS holders.

gsaguy, well, it was a memorable coin. image As to creating a new thread, actually the whole thing is vaguely sad and embarrassing, I had hoped not to pursue it at all. From what little I know, he seems like an ok guy, and with apparently happy eBay customers.
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, Classic gets 2nd prize in the Aswimmer Memorial Ebay Creative Writing Contest. I believe to get 1st prize one of the requirements is the coin had to be part of a grandfather's collection at one point.
  • I agree with BigD5. I assumed PCGS (all grading services, actually) would slab a coin that is real (not counterfeit) and not doctored (chemically treated, etc.). I can't believe they would determinte a coin is legit but not slab it simply because it seems ugly to them.

Standards of beauty are not only in the eye of the collector, but those standards change. Also, the coin would just not sell for as much if it was found too ugly by the market.

I feel as though a coin that is not slabbed simply because the coloring was not illegit, but just deemed unattractive, is a bad move and not free-market and objective, letting collectors decide what legitimate coins they want to collect. Many people just want to get slabbed to prove the coin is real, not beautiful.
    24HourForums.com - load images, create albums, place ads, talk coins, enjoy the community.
  • gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    <<As to creating a new thread, actually the whole thing is vaguely sad and embarrassing, I had hoped not to pursue it at all.>>

Yea Supercoin, you're right. You still gotta' wonder why he'd hold to his story.

GSAGUY
  • BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    I don't care much about the story, true or false. I do find it interesting that PCGS bagged the coin. I've seen them do this (NGC also!) with Morgans and IHC's that are stored in envelopes, or tissue paper. I would assume (that may be my mistake) that the services have seen enough of this type of toning, even though it isn't common, to conclude that it is indeed "natural".
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    I think is true to say some ugly NTs get bagged and some gorgeous ATs get slabbed.
    Its all about eye-appeal regardless of origin of the colors.
    In the defense of PCGS it just isnt in their best interest to slab a coin such as this.
    Right off the bat, everyone( me included) states its `ugly` `AT` etc...
    PCGS isnt in the business of slabbing coins that would even appear questionable....
    for the most part. We,ve all seen that one or two questionable PCGS coins that leaves us all
    scratching our heads, but those are usually other issues with the coin.
    When it comes to color, it has to look great,,,or atleast look natural to get the slab.

I feel this is the idea PCGS would like us to embrace.
    Its really about eye-appeal...if it doesnt appear to have been cleaned, or if the color
    sure looks like beautiful old original toning, then yes,that is acceptable.

Its their business to do it that way.
    Hasnt it always pretty much been like that?

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>northcoin and braddick, just to clarify... to the best of my knowledge, the coin is not doctored, just the story. And as I mentioned, several other coins from the same group that I purchased are now in PCGS holders. gsaguy, well, it was a memorable coin. image As to creating a new thread, actually the whole thing is vaguely sad and embarrassing, I had hoped not to pursue it at all. From what little I know, he seems like an ok guy, and with apparently happy eBay customers. >>

His individual Thread detailing how your coin imaged and his coin auctioned are NOT the same coin has been edited.

Personally I think the toning is authentic and whether you believe it is attractive, well- that's up to the individual. I did, up to placing a healthy bid and loosing at the end. The "story" helped push up the bids, I believe. I know it did mine.

peacockcoins

• LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    Ron is still a good guy! More Classic's for me!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter

<< <i>Ron is still a good guy! More Classic's for me! >>

.........thanks hep kitty.......
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    The pictures sure look like the same coin to me but I am not going to condem Classics as it is fairly easy to get coins mixed up when you are dealing with a lot of the same type of coin. mikeimage
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    a remarkable resemblance and a remarkable memory supercoin

I have heard of people that could remember coins after years, but I was thinking more in lines of truly great rarities that you see once in a lifetime

not some regular modern mint stuff - I am impressed
  • Classics (Ron) IS a straight up guy! I have done business with him at shows. ( For what it's worth)

Dave
    Love those toned Washingtons

<< <i>Classics (Ron) IS a straight up guy! I have done business with him at shows. ( For what it's worth)

Dave >>

.................thanks dave.........hope to see you again soon at one of the shows........tell your son hello for me.....image
  • Those two coins Supercoin is comparing has to be the same coin in my opinion -- way too many exactly identical coloring patterns -- like across the Eagle's chest. It's either the identical coin, or someone found a way to doctor two coins the same exact way.

Look, it IS the same coin. There is no doubt. And with a court subpeona you could prove the history of ownership as well.

It's fascinating to me the support voiced here. CLASSICS may be a good dealer, a loving father, and nice to puppies -- I hope he is all three! -- but he is not a straight shooter.

The truth is he bought this coin in the very recent past, got it body-bagged by PCGS (well, so he says), and then completely fabricated an elaborate story about storing it since the 70's in an envelope in a (successful, according to an underbidder) attempt to make more money selling it raw.

Then when given the opportunity to come clean, he continued to lie. He then even apparently specifically claimed in another thread (which he since edited) that the coins pictured were not the same despite incontrovertable evidence to the contrary.

He baldfaced lied, and he continues to this moment to deny it, while at the same repeatedly asserting his integrity -- both here in public and privately. That's not my definition of a straight-shooter.

Nobody's perfect, and we've all done something stupid at one time or another... but, come on. If you're any kind of straight shooter you'd at least come clean after the fact. Don't insult our intelligence.

EDITED TO ADD... Classic's response

-----------

BigD5, re: How can any of you possibly agree with PCGS for bagging the coin, IF the history of the coin is as stated

I think this thread shows why PCGS can't rely on a coin's supposed history and instead has to make a judgement call as to whether it's market acceptable.

In fact, I had some of the coins from this same group body-bagged by PCGS, and I protested it to PCGS (Rick Montgomery at the time) while relating my (true, as far as I know image) story of their history -- to no avail.

He basically said if it's in a PCGS holder, they want it to be acceptable to the market, and it has to stand on it's own. It's their reputation riding with the coin, and they ain't going to trust what some coin dealer says. Wisely so. image
  • DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭

<< <i>He baldfaced lied, and he continues to this moment to deny it, while at the same repeatedly asserting his integrity -- both here in public and privately. That's not my definition of a straight-shooter. >>

• cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭
    Tad knows his Ike's and I agree with him definately the same coin.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Supercoin, it depends on what the meaning of the word is isimage
  • khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    Nice catch Tad.

I still agree with BigD5. PCGS is supposed to determine whether something is authentic
    not what current market conditions are. Also if they can't do their job why don't they give
    the money back? If they send the coin back without a slab, without my check the coin
    should be AT.

Just my 2 cents,
    -KHayse
  • Supercoin: HEH™

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file