Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1999 (and 98-00, too) Type Two cents now being designated by PCGS......

I saw today that PCGS has finally certified two 1999 Lincoln Cents as type two reverses with the proof hubs. One graded MS65 and the other MS66.

That makes ANACS graded 2, PCGS graded 2 and NGC I think graded 5.

I guess there is no point to this thread other than I thought it was good. So, I can now submit my type twos for grading at PCGS. image

Rampage.

Comments

• Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    What is the difference?

Where have they been found ? In mint sets, bags, etc.?

Thanks.
    Dan
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    A M of America on the reverse has a space between them. There is a distinctive die scratch in the field underneath America. The designer's initials found to the right of the memorial is nearer the memorial than the circulation strike reverse. I understand a single proof reverse working hub was used to crank out a few(?) dies in the three years 98,99,00
  • Options
    It's about time they started grading them.
    Interesting that you say ANACS pop of 2 and I have three ANACS graded 1999 type 2 cents, one MS64, one MS65 and one MS66 in for crossover on my 4 freebies from PCGS.
    I must commend PCGS on updating the pop report, I think you have to wait for ANACS on a quarterly basis and then its $25 bucks.
    But the question comes to mind, if all the coins cross, will PCGS notify ANACS of the now non existant ANACS coins so they can fix that pop figure? I think these will be shown to be very rare and three coins may throw off the balance as to how many actually exists.
    I also have two ANACS 1999 type 2 cents, Broadstruck, one MS65 and the other MS66. Those will stay in the ANACS holders. Check for those in the next pop report from ANACS. I know first hand that AT LEAST 10 more broadstruck '99 ty 2's exist.
  • Options
    GerryGerry Posts: 456
    KenzoT - I believe this is the way it works: If PCGS does cross over any of the ANACS coins, you will, of course, receive them back in PCGS holders. PCGS will also send you the ANACS inserts in the package. It will up to you to send ANACS their inserts. Hopefully, you (and others) will take the time to do that. It helps a little in preserving the accuracy of the pop reports.
  • Options
    Thanks, Gerry.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    imageJust got my Wide AM grades last night! I was so excited I couldn't go to bed.

1999 Wide AM MS67 RD- Pop. 1!!! I was beside myself, my first Pop 1 coin
    (2) 99 Wide AM MS66 RD
    (2) 2000 Wide AM MS67 RD - Pop 3, none higher, Man I am on cloud 9!!
    2000 Wide AM MS66 RD
    1998 MS65 RD
    1998 MS64 RD

I was wondering your opinions on the 99 MS67RD penny, what do you think it would sell for?? I won't sell it? but what do think its possibilities are?? It's very hard to judge because of the extreme rarity. Thanks for your opinions!

M.image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Manorcourtman; Congratulations. Looks like some great coins there.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Manorcourtman: Terrific grades!

I'd had my Type 2s certified by NGC a while ago for 1998, 1999 and 2000, but I sent them off to PCGS yesterday on the cheap to see if any of them will cross. Some of them were high NGC grades, including a couple MS67s in 1999. Guess I can wait 75 days to see! image

I can't say what the PCGS MS67 would go for, and I'm not sure what to advise. Maybe the smart thing to do would be to highlight it on Ebay as a Pop 1 coin while you got it, maybe make it a Featured Item, and see what the market does. Be sure to put in all the info from the Coin World article or somewhere about the coin, and mention that it is in the Red Book.

I don't know what I'd do, though! I'd have trouble parting with it!

• Options
    Dpoole,

You should have sent 10 coins in via Modern category. That's only 15 business days and $12 each. That's how I always do it. PCGS has been right on 15 days in my experiences. I realize you have to send in ten but I am always buying raw coins looking for sleepers! I sent away 2 more 1999 Wide AM's 2 weeks ago. It was my last 2. I hope they grade 66-67. Pretty nice coins but 67 is a pretty high grade in my opinion for the 1999's. I am going to the Baltimore show in 3 weeks so I'm thinking about showing them to some dealers, but it is really tough to find people who know anything about these coins. Thanks for your opinions guys!! What kind of minimum would you guys set?? image

Thanks.....M.image
  • Options
    Manorcourtman:

If you turn on your PM (private messaging), I'll make some suggestions. Go the the top of the page, click "profile" and where indicated, click "yes" for private messages.

Gerry
  • Options
    If you are going to Baltimore, visit Angel Dee's table (Andy Skrabalak). He will make you offers on the 1999 and 2000 in pcgs-ms67 on my behalf. I'll find out what his table number is the next time I talk with him. Good luck with everything.

Gerry
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Kenzo-

Maybe you need to call ANACS because the pop numbers I had listed were right out of Helen's mouth less than 5 weeks ago.
  • Options
    Call them again. The coins I have are real but ANACS only updates the POP report quarterly. A new one should be out by now.
  • Options
    Hi guys,

How would you rate ANACS MS grades vs. PCGS MS penny grades? And how would you rate NGC grades? Anyone tried to cross them before? Just an example but what would an ANACS MS67 and an NGC MS68 penny rate at PCGS? Anyone try this before? Thanks for your opinions!

M. in the Great Lakes area
  • Options
    MCM,

My NGCs went out to PCGS last week. I'll let you know how I did.
  • Options
    Kenzo-

I called them again on Friday and still they say 2 graded.

So, whatever. No big deal to me.
  • Options
    Rampage,
    I just got my crossover grades for my 3 1999 Ty2's...

ANACS MS64.....PCGS MS64
    ANACS MS65.....PCGS MS65
    ANACS MS66.....PCGS MS67

I will post a picture of the 3 ANACS grade slips when I get them. ANACS really needs to update thier POP Report reporting methods.
    The Submission # is 3090391 in case you'd like to look.
  • Options
    Wow, Kenzo!! Great results!!
  • Options
    <FONT face=Verdana size=1>Manorcourtman must be pulling his hair out from sitting on his so long instead of selling them before the pops went up image</FONT>
  • Options
    Kenzo,

Congrats!! I am glad for you! Now I can sit on my 1999's and not worry about POP #'s. I may have 1 or 2 more surprises yet to come but you are the owner of a very, very rare coin. Great Job!!! In 10 years I bet you will have a large 5 digit coin, that's if you don't sell it!! Oh the temptation!

M. in Flyover countryimage
  • Options
    imageimageimageimage

Check this out! 1999 Type 2, BROADSTRUCK, 1 MS-65, 1 MS-66. Check out the photos of the MS-65. Notice the square beneath Lincoln's chin and above the bowtie.

Also notice in photo 3 the straight line between Lincoln's pony-tail and his shoulder.

These, I believe, are indications of clashed dies and are not only a BROADSTRUCK error, but a clashed die error as well as being a Type 2. Talk about WOW!
  • Options
    Just got coins from PCGS and they DID NOT return the old ANACS inserts.
    Any suggestions?
  • Options
    Please disregard the previous post, I found them stuck to the inside of the package.
  • Options
    That is BAD, Kenzo. I can certainly see why you want to keep the pop figures straight.

I'd first call Customer Service at PCGS and complain, see if they can find them or certify to ANACS that they broke those coins out of the slabs (you have the scans, so you can give them the slab numbers).

Failing that (as anticipated), I guess I'd call ANACS and tell them the story, and give them the certif. numbers, see if they'll take them off their pop figures on that basis.

• Options
    Here are the three ANACS coins that don't exists!
    ANACS will always be #3 behind PCGS and NGC until they UPDATE to the 21 st centurary.
    The pop reports are way behind the times.image
  • Options
    Congrats on the upgrade Kenzo.

ANACS really should update their pops.

Nice going on the 67 from PCGS.
  • Options
    By the way, nice going on the 1983 no S proof dime, too. image
  • Options
    Thanks Rampage,
    I have owned the 1983 NO S for over 20 years, long before PCGS recognized CAM or DCAM leaving folks like me who invested in PCGS grading only to have them change the standard and leave you, the collector, out in the open, made to resubmit the same coin to get the same grade. That is the case of my 1983 NO S PF68.
    I submitted it in 1984, the year I bought and got a PF68 At the time, PCGS DID NOT give the CM OR DCAM!
    Without the 4 FREE grades, this could have been the only 1983 No S 10c that wasn't designated CAM OR DCAM, a definate negative.,
    THANKS PCGS!
  • Options
    I got my report back today from PCGS!

All of these were crossovers from NGC:

LINE # CERT # COIN DATE DENOMINATION VARIETY GRADE
    1 21312334 1998 1C Wide AM MS65RD
    2 21312335 1998 1C Wide AM MS66RD
    3 21312336 1998 1C Wide AM MS66RD
    4 21312337 1999 1C Wide AM MS66RD
    5 21312338 1999 1C Wide AM MS67RD
    6 21312339 1999 1C Wide AM MS67RD
    7 21312340 1999 1C Wide AM DNC
    8 21312341 2000 1C Wide AM MS67RD
    9 21312342 2000 1C Wide AM MS67RD
    10 21312343 2000 1C Wide AM MS67RD
    11 21312344 2000 1C Wide AM MS67RD
    12 21312345 2000 1C Wide AM DNC

The two that didn't make it were a 1999 MS66, and a 2000 MS68 (no surprise there).

I'm really delighted, and really surprised!
  • Options
    The pops are rising
  • Options
    Let me resurrect this thread to point out that in the past two weeks the PCGS pop of the 2000 Lincoln Wide AM has increased from 98 to 187. There are now 24 graded ms67rd and 1 graded ms68rd.

Meanwhile, the pop on the 1998 and 1999 have stayed pretty much the same. The top grade for the 1998 is still only ms66rd with a pop of 18 in that grade. The 1999 remains the scarcest with only 12 graded – 4 in ms66rd and 4 in ms67rd.

We also should remember that these coins have been graded into the PCGS pop report for only the last 3 months.

• Options
    Great points Gerry. I'm sure glad no one wanted to sell to me when I was offering what now would be stupid money image