Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1951 topps all stars

I just picked up a 1951 topps All Star Bobby Doerr that I will be sending to PSA. Does anybody actively collect these? They seem quite rare as I cant find any on ebay. Do they command a big premium or are they so rare that there is not much of a following. Also, if anyone knows, does PSA penalize if the player in the card (its like a pop up card) is partially detatched from the card? It is all still mostly intact as one, but a couple of the perforations between the player and the card are broken. Any help on this set or these cards would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    uniship-
    I can tell you that the set is very hard to find in PSA 6 or better. The cards don't sell for a premium, but should considering the difficulty of the set. It is my opinion that the "broken tabs" really do not hurt the grade. Where you will be hurt is the small creasing on the back of the card near the die-cut of the body. I am interested in the card if you want to sell it at some point .

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Its a really tough set made impossible by the fact that you'll probably never even see Roberts, Stanky and Konstanty, let alone have a chance to buy them. They came up in a Mastro about 4-6 years ago, and I think they were also in the Halper auction (I"m sure MS will know) but that is about it. There was a thread about the rarest set and among post war mainstream manufacturers I think it would have to be this one. Congrats on the Doerr!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    One of the shops in town has a Gehrig that's a little beat up, and missing the background. They still have a $1200 price tag on it.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Griffins-
    If you find that thread you will notice that I was the one that said this was the toughest set to build. image Why don't you build this set and sell off your Wilson Set to me? I am paying strong numbers these days.

Thanks,
  • Options
    dstudebadstudeba Posts: 215 ✭✭
    1954 -

Sorry, Griffins has already started on the set with money he got from selling his Wilsons to me. Oh well, I have to go now as Cameron Diaz is picking me up for the Premier of Charlie's Angels 2. image

Dan time to wake up!

DOH! image

-------------------

need Wilson Franks
    Search and Track Auctions Automatically

Collectable
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    uniship -- Awesome find! Make sure you let us know how it does on the grading and when it's up for sale! Promise me you'll do that!
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    considering bobby doerr isn't even in that set...
    .......................that is one rare monkey you got there.
  • Options
    please send me a scan asap. (terwilliger@charter.net)
    perhaps it is Walt Dropo ? or Hoot Evers ??
    if you can figure out how to use the back search function, there was a lengthy post i made about this issue some months back.
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    Thanks guys for the feedback. Murcer - you are right, it is a Walt Dropo - not Bobby Doerr (dont know what I was thinking there). PSA has graded only 6 from this set of any player, and they have yet to grade a Dropo. I am sending it in today. If the few perforations were not broken, the card is a surefire 6 - the card is clean - just minor touches on the corners. However, I dont know how much they will penalize for the broken perforations but I will share with the group once the grade is received. Murcer - I'll shoot you a scan in a bit - let me know what you think when you get it. Thanks!

Eric
  • Options
    Uniship.
    I do collect these and they among my top drawer favorites.
    the broken tabs "should" keep the grade at 4 max., I have an Evers with one broken tab
    that psa slabbed as a 5. I believe SGC is a bit rougher on grading these, but they look a whole lot nicer in those holders to me. I also started grading these before PSA had a tall-boy holder
    I love to show these off
  • Options
    Murcer - those are AWESOME! - did you get most on ebay? Great job!
  • Options
    I believe only about a dozen intact cards have ever been listed on e-bay.
    at least from 1999 on. I bought a nice lot from Mastro a few years back. 2-3 cards were picked up at shows along the way. Only one in my set was an e-bay listing.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    MF - I just love that Rizzuto card, I had a similar condition one at my store about 10-12 years ago. I bought it off of a walk-in sale, and thought it was neat, and could care less if it sold since it was a great display item....it sold within a week!...jay
  • Options
    The Rizzuto is said to be tougher, ie, single printed.
    I'm skeptical about that though.
    It's a pretty wild card for 1951.
    It is on my top 5 favorite cards list, I love the Gehrig from the Connie Mack's too.
    That pose says it all
  • Options
    TipemTipem Posts: 881

Mercerfan,

Absolutely stunning cards!!

Those are probably the nicest I have seen.Great job

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    Murcer and anybody else who cares - the Dropo came back a 4, seems they penalized 2 full grades for the broken perforations. I am somewhat disappointed - invoice #8038550. When I get it back I'll shoot you a scan Murcer. Take care.

Eric
  • Options
    Eric,
    Don't sweat the scan.
    Not too surprised on the grade, i have had some amazing looking 5's before.
    The good news is that the population is gonna drop a couple on the currents as i merged a few into my sgc set at the national. suposedly someone graded a couple raw currents on wednesday with sgc and had them on a table, which i never found. One of many wild goose chases.
    Any Current All-star that is intact is desireable and a fine card to own, don't let that holder cause undue prejudice, 4's from that issue are respectable in my book.
    Looks like you mixed and matched tall-boys and regular cards (maybe next time splitting them on a separate invoice...who knows?)
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Does anyone know the maximum grade a Babe Ruth card would receive if it has a piece missing from the area underneath his leg? The card ha sno creases and has square corners and othewise should be approximately EX+.
  • Options
    Thanks Murcer - they actually combined two of my invoices into that one - that's why the big boys are with the regular sized cards. Any idea what the dropo is worth as a 4?
  • Options
    Eric,
    I'd say around $250 (eye appeal, centering, etc.. could swing it $30 each way)
    I sold a Hoot Evers in sgc 3 for $200 this afternoon. E-mail me if you are serious, i can put you in touch with a solid buyer (terwilliger@charter.net) whom i believe needs this one.

Koby,
    Tough call. I know SGC has refused to slab either that card (recently on e-bay) or one just like it that Mike Wheat owned about 4 years ago. maybe it would get the much coveted "auth" ??

• Options
    With all the Kahns Weiner cards and new additions to the SMR, this set should be listed in there too. Of course I am somewhat biased, but it is a beautiful and highly sought after set - HEY JOE ORLANDO, WHAT DO YOU THINK? HOW ABOUT ADDING THIS RARITY TO THE SMR>???? IT IS A 1951 TOPPS SET AFTER ALL! Thanks!

Eric
  • Options
    Eric,
    there is virtually no data.
    should Joe have to read tea leaves on a set with a total pop of 4?
    how much for a Rizzuto psa 9 ? 5k... 120 k ...1.26 m ??
    I have a 6 and I want the SMR to be 1.26m so my 6 would be about 300kimage
  • Options
    I'm the buyer murcerfan referenced in his post. If you are interested in selling, please email me at cmcclelland@kc.rr.com.
  • Options
    cmclelland-
    Glad you finally joined us on here....yo

Leo/1954
  • Options

black 17 yo