Home U.S. Coin Forum

Post Office driving me over the edge -

I just retured from p.o. and I was told I could not ins. a letter with paper money in it. Being new to sellig on EBAY, I sold a $ 5.00 bill and buyer who requested it sent insured. and he paid me. Now what do I do ?
drf236

Comments

• K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    It is none of their business what is in your package as long as it isn't dangerous, perishable, or fragile. Take it to another post office, and if they get snoopy, tell them it is merchandise.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    What difference does it make what's in the package? If you have to make a claim and you can prove the value of the lost or damaged item, the post office shouldn't care what you insure.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • k6az I live in small comunity he is the only place to go. he wants $7.00 to send registered mail, says only possile way to send
    drf236
  • shamica he said it illegai, I am dealing with a postal rock head
    drf236
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    It certainly isn't illegal - the BEP delivers uncut currency sheets by mail!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

OK, I think I understand what the problem is. They will not insure regular letter envelopes. What you need to do is find a sturdy 6x10 or so chipboard mailer. If you have a Wallmart nearby, they have them, I think a package of 10 will set you back about $5. Put the bill in one of those mailers, and when you go to the PO to send it, don't tell them there is a $5 bill inside, tell them it is merchandise. That should solve your problem.
  • k6az I have a bunch of those - thanks for that idea- that will work - and thanks again to this forum to help us newby's
    drf236
    I like it when there is an easy solution to a problem! image
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    they have a thing about sending cash - some coin sellers put specifics -> PCGS MS65 1963 Washington and others say medals or collectibles. I am sure if you said something like series B Kansas City 1958 silver note they wouldn't have a problem.
  • They told me they couldn't insure coins, so now I tell them it's numismatic items and have had no problems. I don't think they know what that is and are too embarrassed to ask.image

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was told that by law the USPS cannot insure common currency. If you win my eBay auction and pay with a $100 bill and your mail is insured for $100 and your mail gets lost then you are SOL as far as a claim goes. If you are sending collectible or numismatic items then those are insurable.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • psxchellypsxchelly Posts: 568 ✭✭
    i used to have similar problems. tell the post office the money is a collectable and not just common money. When i explained to the post office that i was mailing collectables, they eased off me.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The answer is as stated.............MERCHANDISE! An ADAMANT position of MERCHANDISE. Ask for the POSTMASTER! Last thing a gov't employee wants is a reprimand from ANYONE let alone his SUPERVISOR.

Wait til the SOB's deny an insurance claim for a box of circ dollars because you can't provide an INVOICE FOR EACH COIN ! Happened to me. Told em I bought them separately in batches. Still no go.

Finally called congressman. Jeez! But it was a DAY before the issue was resolved.

Oh sure! List individual invoices for 800 circ dollars. Sheeeesh!

Always remember, you are dealing with idiots who LIVE to make your life (as their employer) miserable.

Snivel servants!

grrrrrrr.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file