Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

There Is A State Quarter Coin God And She Is Nice To Me !

I finally made my first 1999 D State Quarter in MS68. A beautiful Georgia D. The pop will show 2 in a few days. My Alabama D in MS68 I found in a bank wraped roll. It was one of 7 coins I sent in out of 225 roles. Yes, there were 2 more MS68s and 4 MS67s. The 68 pop on that coin should change to 4 soon. I have no life and my third eye has closed due to fatigue. But... I'm still having fun.
D.M.

Comments

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool. Those 99's are tough to find nice.
    Tempus fugit.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eye: That is sensational news. I slabbed the first GA(d) in MS68 a few years ago and, frankly, I felt it might be a long time before a 2nd coin was ever made - it did take a couple years!! Congatulations!!

It would be kind of neat in a way if 2003 state quarters were as difficult to "make" in high grade as say 1999 are (see early reports on 2003 coins). But, I personally suspect the mint should be able to get quality levels to approach 2002 levels, even if it has to occur a bit later in the year. But, stranger things have happened image

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Nice job Donn! I can relate to the eye strain thing - trust me! I think I'll wind up looking like Marty Feldman (Young Frankenstein) in a year or two - both eyes popping out and a humpback.
  • TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    I got an 01-D VT out of a vending machine this week that would probably go MS68. This prompted me to sell off most of my statehood quarter collection.
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Great job Eye. That's quite a feat. Some moderns are very, very tough in high grades. image
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I got an 01-D VT out of a vending machine this week that would probably go MS68. This prompted me to sell off most of my statehood quarter collection. >>

I think someone is jealous!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I got an 01-D VT out of a vending machine this week that would probably go MS68. This prompted me to sell off most of my statehood quarter collection. >>

I think someone is jealous! >>

Yes, but it's NOT "MS68" until PCGS says it's "MS68".

peacockcoins

<< <i>Yes, but it's NOT "MS68" until PCGS says it's "MS68". >>

-True, but having made three of the first 35 01-D VT in MS68 I have some idea of what PCGS is looking for.

<< <i>I think someone is jealous! >>

-Illogical. I've collected the set since 99 making over half of the coins in my collection which I just stated that I am sellingimage?!?

The sick feeling I had in my stomach when I pulled a 68 from change was not jealousy nor is relaying my experience.
    The sick feeling I had in my stomach when I pulled a 68 from change was not jealousy nor is relaying my experience.

Geez - that coin may have been the only MS69 ever graded for that state from the Denver mint. What horrible luck it ended up in someone's pocket and might only grade MS68 now!!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    Wondercoin, surely you can tell the difference between a MS68 and MS69. I don't recall MS69 being mentioned here.image
    My point was before it started bouncing around in your pocket, it just may have been a grade higher - egh? image

Wondercoin

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have always been a few superb gem clads bouncing arond in circulation. If you
    look at a few rolls every week you'll find two to four coins a year of various denomination
    and mint mark. Not every coin will be found probably, but there are some gems made for
    circulation. These appear up to three years after issue but will typically be more recent.

Varieties do come during brief mint set coining runs. Gems, and overall quality has never
    shown any variation within a year that I've detected. This is not to say that during a year
    that only a handful of gems are produced that they'll be evenly spaced through out the year,
    they won't. While the superb coins are made in batches these batches will not vary through
    out the year. Of course, the production runs used to be of much shorter duration and it's
    possible this effect was present and I overlooked it.
    Tempus fugit.