Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Philly Quarters in 2003 Mint Sets???

Hi, my name is Mark and i'm a certfied mintsetaholic, I fail to believe that there is not even one ms68 level Philly quarter in the the new sets. Did anyone else find the same thing? Did the mint drive over all of the coins or just send us the rubbish first? Did the Mint just use these coins for lunch money the past year in the vending machines and then decide to put the same coins in the sets?

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark - you can't expect to make $10,000/week clear each and every week on mint sets. Next week will be better I'm sure. imageimage

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a mintsetaholic too. Guess I'll be sticking to other vintages a little longer.image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Kuhl Mitch! Thanks for the encouraging news. That means in 2 years I'll be a millionaire if I watch my spending. Hmmmmm...........it just does not add up.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm high bidder on your 83(d) Lincoln on ebay - it might not be a bad week yet! image

Hey - Mark - go read Numish's thread on the US Coin Forum on Mint set searching - you'll see how I really feel about what you're doing image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up on the Numish thread Mitch. I agree except for the lincoln's. I think they have too many small scratches at the top of the coats for them to "9" Kepp those bids coming on my stuff as they are going for cheap right now.
  • Options
    keithdagenkeithdagen Posts: 2,025
    Mark,

I haven't finished packaging mine yet. I'll try to review that spot on mine tonight and see if it's there for me.
    Keith ™

• Options
    Send me the leftovers I think mine got stolen.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    keithdagenkeithdagen Posts: 2,025
    Mark,

Did not see the marks that you mentioned, except on one of my P mint Lincolns, and even then, barely visible at 5x magnification.
    Keith ™

• Options
    I have to agree with Mark,The Philadelphia State Quarters are BAD,There are some nice Lincoln's both P/D.
  • Options
    Keith, I guess my eyes are just torched or is that full torched? Anyway, the upper left of the coat all have very fine scratches under my special lighting and after having made over 20 of the 02-p's in 9, I do not see the same quality when I compare them. I have had so many 02-p returned that are ms68 that look better than my 03-p Lincoln's. I still submitted about15-20 I believe from my 600 sets and ought to find a couple of 9's in there as it was the cream of the cream only (in my opinion). Don't worry guys, PCGS won't be finishing up any coins soon as they are off to the shows and so am I.
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    My Philly set was pretty good. Its the Denvers that sucked. There will be plenty of MS68's, at least in the P's if my one set is anything to go from.
  • Options

Just finished going thru 100 2003 mint sets and found 8 State Quarters worth sending in 5 Ds and 3 Ps the Lincolns looked great but did not select any to send in as there will be tons of 69s both in P & D found a few Jeffersons ,Roosevelts and Kennedy's worth keeping these mint sets are as bad as the 99 mint sets as far as State Quarters go. Maybe the mint will improve later in the year on the mint sets.
    FORMER # 1 NOW # 3 ON ALL TIME FINEST CLAD QUARTER COLLECTION

PCGS THE ONLY WAY TO GO

Ed