Home U.S. Coin Forum

Grading Accuracy (PCGS and NGC)

pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
Let's stick with PCGS and NGC. What percentage of coins do you believe are accurately graded by PCGS and NGC? 70%, 80%, 90%...
The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin

Comments

• dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    i agree w/ them 90+% of the time on close-collar strikes, 50+% on open-collar strikes, 5-10% on colonials

K S
  • MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743

<< <i>i agree w/ them 90+% of the time on close-collar strikes, 50+% on open-collar strikes, 5-10% on colonials

K S >>

I DISAGREE! image 90.4935692473813% is closer to the mark!image
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    There is no way to offer an accurate opinion until they start dating the slabs. Grading standards are a moving target over time. Many of the PF70 DCAMS that PCGS graded in the 90's wouldn't grade that today. Classic coins of great rarity have moved up 2-4 points over time. So many coins are messed with then resubmitted and turn in the holders and we have no idea what they looked like when submitted. On the day that the coin was submitted I would say that 90% are most likely graded correctly and with the 10% that aren't many of them are liners. Toned coins can be easily overgraded because of scratches etc covered up by the toning.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file