Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Has Anyone Come Across "Short" 1969s?

gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
I picked up a few graded 1969T baseball from a high volume eBay dealer and they are both short top to bottom. Has anyone seen this in '69s? I've seen "skinny" vending cards, but never short top to bottom. Since they're holdered, I can't inspect the edge. They're short ~ 0.05", so it's quite significant. The holder is not tampered with. One is a common and one is a star. Both have serial numbers far apart (9XX... and 1XX...)

Comments

• Options
    Can you scan them so we can see? I never heard of that myself.

Sandy
    Buying 1964 PSA 9 Baseball
  • Options
    Here's a comparison of the Stargell that's short in addition to the one from my collection that is the size of most 1969s I've handled.

• Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    apparently topps was never overly concearned with size.
    I've seen this same thing on a bunch of issues, i never worried about it.
    however............I've heard that size does matter after all image
  • Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927
    John

Is it possible that PSA changed dies on thier tooling, or whoever makes PSA's holders. It could make the differance. It is hard for me to tell card to card. I see the dif in the space but it may be the holder.

Dave
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    No. Holders are the same size. I measured both cards and the one on the left is shorter by 0.05". The card on the right matches a properly sized card. The other card I won from that dealer also measured 0.05" short. Very odd that they are both short by an identical amount. Either they were both trimmed equally or they came from the same vending run.
  • Options
    John,

Can't say that I have seen this in the Stargell card before. I do recall Joe Delgrippo having loads of high grade material from this series (the 6th series). He would be a good resource if you could ask him. Certainly, I am aware that the Stargell does not exist in consistent cuts. You can even find differences in the PSA 10 specimens that are out there.

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • Options
    How far short will psa allow? I've found many 1961 Topps football in the 2nd series to be about 1/64 and even 1/32 of an inch short. If this is .05 of an inch short, that would be over 1/32 short right? That seems like a pretty big allowance doesn't it?
  • Options
    I believe PSA allows for up to 1/32" short. Of course this only applies to factory cuts. post factory trimming will disqualify a card regardless of whether or not it's the proper size.