Home U.S. Coin Forum

So what is the 1964 NGC MS69 Kennedy 50c?

It's not a proof or a SMS coin, but it's surface texture suggests a different manner of manufacture from a regular business strike.

According to the Coin World Article, it could be one of the 4-"first-strike" coins for the ceremonies at Phillidelphia and Denver.

It will be offered at Baltimore next month. Maybe the buyer will know what it is.
My posts viewed image times
since 8/1/6

Comments

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    According to legend, ( small l, not the dealer), it is an SMS coin that was formerly holdered by PCGS as an MS68 business strike. Unless you're referring to a different coin. Is it the one labeled as a Specimen?

Russ, NCNE
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I think the "first-strike" theory is an outright guess. I don't think they know what it is. I hope to have a chance to examine it at Baltimore.

That was a frantic time at the Mint. They had to produce the Kennedy design in a hurry, the coin shortage was underway, and they were producing as many coins as they could manage. Who knows what they did with all that craziness going on?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭
    Specimen and possible presentation strikes are a fascinating area of numismatics. I am also intrigued by acid and chrome washed planchets and other methods of mint tinkering, particularly in the Royal Canadian Mint. The results of this will be interesting to say the least.

BRian.
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Russ- yes it is labeled Specimen. Heritage will have it in their Signature Sale 7/26-30
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    It'll be interesting to see what it sells for. Last time it was listed on Teletrade, it was bid to $15K and went "not sold". If I remember correctly, it was also just offered by one of the biggies in Long Beach and only got bid to some stupidly low number.

Russ, NCNE

• jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    50 cent and the grading fee!! Now if it were a Franklin, it would be priceless!!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file