Home U.S. Coin Forum

Another brutally honest eBayer...

Comments

• mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    He may be honest about it not being a 65 but i see no mention of the fact it might end up in a 58 holder???
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I agree, but it is a dark FUGLY pig!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Calling a coin a "pig" certainly qualifies as truth in advertising. He states "at best 63."image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Actually, I've dealt with him in the past and was satisfied with my purchase.

An eBay auction ended without bids...I emailed him about the coin....he sent me his phone number and told me to call...I called a day later and he agreed to my price....coin arrived promptly, as described.....no problems, no complaints.

end of story.
  • LokiLoki Posts: 897 ✭✭
    58, 63, whatever. I hope it's real! Many counterfeits have found their way in AGC slabs.
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    Honest huh?
    Ebay BS Hype Translator 5.5 translates
    "Anyway, it is still a rare coin so please ignore its illusory value and try to see it for what it is, a decent coin, a rare date 1898 S Barber half dollar in at best MS63. Coin World Trends value for MS63 is $2,300.00"
    to meaning
    "But I know I sure as L won't cracking it out of the ACG slab and sending it to ANACS because when it comes back Details Cleaned Polished Retoned EX-40 it'll only be worth $200 so I'll just leave it in the MS65 DMPL holder because that gives my claim @ $2,3000 more legitimacy and hope & pray EVERYBODY hasn't seen K6AZ's website and there are still some suckers on sleazeBay.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimageimage

Oooh, but it's original. Ha!

Hats off to that guy.

Geez, "DMPL"? I mean, I know it's in a stinkin' ACG holder, and they issue blindfolds to their graders, but that's pretty freakin' absurd even from them!

What "mirrors" ?

Maybe they meant Damn Misleading Presumptuous Lie...?

(I suppose it could be "prooflike" in that many Barber proofs of the era are encountered as black, ugly pigs...)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Looks to me like it has been AT'ed to cover up surface problems.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a perfect candidate for your site, K6AZ...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MBiker - has it right. Not only is it most likely not a 65, it is highly likely that it isn't even a Mint state coin. This date went to the phillippines and is was saved in XF and AU, and they are very available in AU. MS examples are very scarce and should only be bought slabbed by a reputable service.

Tyler

I just read Dog's thread and he has summed it up absolutely, irrevocably perfectly!
  • NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    That auction is a total scam. He makes it sound like he's such a good guy, then once he has you convinced that he is more than honest, you put your guard down and read the part where he say's "this coin is only a 63". Problem is that there's a big, huge spread between MS-63 and AU-58 cleaned, net AU-50. Can't believe anyone would fall for that bull$hit auction.

Here's a question for you: if he thought the coin was such a "pig", then why does he need to use a reserve? Why not just dump it in order to get rid of it by using a $1 no reserve auction? SCAM!
  • ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the above comments...if it was worthy of a real 63 why not crack it and send it to NGC/PCGS...we know why...wont slab
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file