Home U.S. Coin Forum

The ANA vote and consumer protection

Do you believe the ANA should promote the interests of collectors? It has a history of promoting the interests of dealers, which can coincide with those of collectors but don't necessarily.

As many people here know, Barry Stuppler has bucked the tradition and spoken out in behalf of collectors and against the practice of some grading services, which grade coins considerably higher than common industry parameters, including those used by PCGS and NGC, thereby allowing dealers who use these services to deceive unsuspecting collectors about the value of the coins they sell.

Barry Stuppler is running again for ANA governor. He deserves every ANA member collector's vote. (I have no professional association with him and in fact have never met him, just know of him and his activities.)

Astonishingly, for speaking out against fraud and protecting an individual collector, the ANA board recently admonished Barry Stuppler.

What's more, also recently, three members of the ANA board voted against a motion to send a letter of appreciation to the PNG (Professional Numismatists Guild) and ICTA (Industry Council for Tangible Assets) for their consumer-protection efforts, specifically their groundbreaking survey of dealer attitudes about the practices of individual grading services. Kay Lenker, M. Remy Bourne, and Authur Fitts all voted against this, the only ANA board members to do this.

If you feel that the ANA should protect consumers, you should not vote for Kay Lenker, M. Remy Bourne, and Authur Fitts.

Any vote in any election shouldn't be a one-issue vote. Other numismatic issues are involved in the current ANA election. But, to my mind, the single most important is the single most neglected -- consumer protection.

If we send a Yes with our votes that consumer protection is important, and a No that efforts to suppress consumer protection are opposed by collectors, things may, well, change. Stranger things have happened.

Comments

• BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Reid. Please go to profile and turn on your private mail.
  • Welcome to the boards...image

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ANA should protect the collector/consumer. Dealers have the PNG.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    A big fat WELCOME to ya!
  • hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭

<< <i>The ANA should protect the collector/consumer. Dealers have the PNG. >>

Wholeheartedly agree. The ANA's attitude toward Barry Stupler's handling of "the case" as well as the ANA's stance toward the common collector as noted by Lenker, Bourne, and Fitts declining to recognise the efforts of sister organisations concern for the collector base has reinforced my decision not to join the ANA.

I hope these 3 board members do not get re-elected to their posts.
    Mark
  • The ANA should promote all aspects of the hobby. Dealers need collectors and collectors need dealers. We all need newbies in the hobby to help it grow.
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What's more, also recently, three members of the ANA board voted against a motion to send a letter of appreciation to the PNG (Professional Numismatists Guild) and ICTA (Industry Council for Tangible Assets) for their consumer-protection efforts, specifically their groundbreaking survey of dealer attitudes about the practices of individual grading services. Kay Lenker, M. Remy Bourne, and Authur Fitts all voted against this, the only ANA board members to do this. >>

reidgold, the fact that those three individuals voted against the motion, admittedly doesn't sound good on the surface. But, I don't think it's fair to condemn them, without being made aware of all the facts, including their reasoning for their votes. I don't claim to know any of the facts, but, would very much like to hear the whole story.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file