Home U.S. Coin Forum

This may be the wrong forum but I have an ebay bidding question.

I apologize if this is the wrong forum, but I know a lot of you guys use buy and sell on ebay. If I put in my max bid and the proxy takes over from there, is there anyone, either seller or other potential buyers, that can possibly find out what my max is and then run the bid up to that amount? As in maximizing the bid for the seller if noone else is bidding on the item. I know some computer guru out there somewhere can probably hack into the ebay system somehow but how simple is it really? I bid on a low grade coin for a buck with a max of 5 bucks. It stayed that way until right up to the end and then another buyer, dinkydow, bid 5 bucks. Of course I won because I had 5 in first, but it just seems odd that it happened that way. Either that or I'm just a conspiracy theorist and dinkydow wasn't going to pay more than 5 bucks for it either.
Glock: the original point and click interface.
The Second Amendment is in place in case they ignore the others.
Guns have only two enemies, rust and liberals.
Criminals love gun control, it makes their profession safer.
If guns are outlawed can we use swords?
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone

Comments

• I don't think anyone can see your bid until the bidding is over. It's probably just a coincidence as you suggested.

Dan
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Coincidence.
    There's no way someone can find out your proxy bid, without bidding it up themselves.
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    Not on eBay - alot of people bid round numbers because it is easier to type in - and say there was $5 shipping - and the other guy was willing to go $10 delivered, that is what he bid - which is the same as you. What really gets me sometimes is the snipers - yesterday I had one that was at $90 with my max bid at $320 - in the last 3 seconds someone bid more and won at $325 - go figure.

If you said Teletrade, I would say yes
  • Probably just coincidence...I hope so anyway.image

• MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    A lot of bidders wait until the end of the auction to bid. Some call it a "snipe".
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    Although no one can see your max bid, they can determine it by bidding incrementally in sufficiently small amounts. Once the next higher bid requiremnt is posted that is smaller than the minimum bid increment, you know you've reached that person's max bid. That's why bidding a lot too early is a sure way to minimize your bidding efficiency.
  • bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    The seller can put a shill bid in under another name and cancel that person's bid just to see yours. I do not know if there is a record of the canceled bid anywhere??
    Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, bid retractions will show at the bottom of the bid history page.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Sniping is what it's called.
    Just like last night, some guy in GA bid a nicely toned German pattern up to TWICE what I was going to bid!
    LOL!
    Just kidding Rob, I never even placed a bid!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file