Home U.S. Coin Forum

Pictures with Mini Coin Dome

RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
Last week, there was a thread about the Mini Coin Dome. I was tempted and bought it. Here is my first stab at a couple pix. I'm very happy with the results. I have in no way edited these pictures.image

Comments

• nuckleheadnucklehead Posts: 1,500
    I saw those coin domes for sale in Long Beach,interesting looking gadgets.Your photos look good.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • nuckleheadnucklehead Posts: 1,500
    Double post,sorry.Computers in a funny mood today. image
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    I use the dome also. I also use the fiber optic lights that they sell. for toned coins the fiber optics are a must so you can get the correct lighting on the toning.
  • Hmmm... I looked at these in Long Beach as well, and while I like the colors, there is more reflection from the slab than I expected. The guy who sells these claimed an absence of relection as a main selling point.
    Will Rossman
    Peak Numismatics
    Monument, CO
  • Picture still seems a little focused between face of slab and coin. Instead of the coin.
    the fiber optic light enables you to position the light source so it does not reflect as much.

I am pretty happy with my dome and lights. take a look at my auctions below for examples of pics taken with the dome. there is a learning curve on using lights with the dome but once you get all the settings right on your camera it works pretty well.
  • hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭

<< <i>Hmmm... I looked at these in Long Beach as well, and while I like the colors, there is more reflection from the slab than I expected. The guy who sells these claimed an absence of relection as a main selling point. >>

I agree, based on the photos presented in this thread. Now, if the pictures would come out as clear as the very top edge of the reverse then I might be tempted.
    Mark
  • RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    Does the fiber optic lens fit a coolpix 4500? How much is it?
  • RKKay, I can't wait til you get really good with that thing!! Good Luck!!image
    the fiber optics is 2 lights on 2 flexible "tubes" that the light comes out of the end of the tube and then you point the tubes at the outside of the dome. fiber optics are roughly $200-250. the light is adjustable in intensity so you can play with it. I have found that when using the dome it is neccessary to brighten the photos with a graphics program after taking the picture.
  • RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    JB, thanks. Jonesy, don't hold your breath. You'll be turning blue before I even get sort of good. I'm not very good with the camera.image
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt
  • cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭
    How's this? Does it look a little more acurate?

Bill

09/07/2006
  • pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RKKay

I don't know about the dome but the coins is beautiful!
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • we use the dome and find it necessary to use two light sources rather than the just one that you are using. this helps to eliminate shadows, bring out color, reduces slab reflection and the photo needs less work in photoshop for brightness & contrast. once you master the photo setup, we found that we can shoot a whole days worth of pix for auctions in just minutes. less if the camera would cycle faster! For a light source, we use 2 'show' lamps with 100w ge reveal bulbs. the dome is great. i can't really praise it enough for fool proofing coin photography.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file