Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do the flips you buy from PCGS contain PVC?

I need some 2 1/2 X 2 1/2 flips to submit coins in are the PCGS ones PVC free or should i go somewhere else and get some?

Comments

• hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭
    From what I understand, the flips provided in the submission kit do contain PVC.

I've never submitted to PCGS, but I don't think they would have any heartburn with non-PVC flips.
    Mark
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    You can request saflips from them specifically and they do not contain pvc. That is what I did.
  • byergobyergo Posts: 586
    I'm no chemistry expert, but it seems very unprofessional for PCGS to supply collectors with PVC flips.
    Buy/Sell/Trade Rainbow Morgans
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Now if you submit a coin to PCGS in a flip they provide, and it gets bagged for PVC damage, and the flips type provided damaged the coin. Are they responsible?
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• nuckleheadnucklehead Posts: 1,500

<< <i>Now if you submit a coin to PCGS in a flip they provide, and it gets bagged for PVC damage, and the flips type provided damaged the coin. Are they responsible? >>

Yes,I would think so.They should promote the use of Safeflips.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>Now if you submit a coin to PCGS in a flip they provide, and it gets bagged for PVC damage, and the flips type provided damaged the coin. Are they responsible? >>

No. because how can you prove it wasn't already PVC damaged before you put it in the flips?
  • rwhiterwhite Posts: 326
    I'm no chemistry expert, but it seems very unprofessional for PCGS to supply collectors with PVC flips.

I've got to disagree here. PVC flips used for short term storage (i.e. a few months) wont damage MOST coins.
    -Ryan-
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

The soft ones DO contain PVC- I called PCGS at one time & they confirmed it. The stiff ones have no PVC. I figured I would
    use the soft ones for shipping to PCGS for grading, but with a turnaround of 75 calendar days (up from 50 I think it was?)
    I will not ship them in the PVC ones. I'll take my chances with the stiffer ones.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• I sent them a submission with the coins inserted into safe 2"X 2" flips that were then put into 2 1/2" X 2 1/2" soft flips. They took them O.K. image
    Gary
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>I've got to disagree here. PVC flips used for short term storage (i.e. a few months) wont damage MOST coins. >>

Agreed, but if the PVC flip is beginning to leach the plasticizer oil and PCGS detects it on the coin it WILL be body bagged for PVC.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file