Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is the longest period of time you gone....

TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
...without buying a coin or anything coin related? I'm curious how many collectors we have out there versus coin addicts. image
PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.

Comments

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nine months. Then I was born.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    I know I shouldnt for being currently unemployed...image but I HAVE to either visit the coin shops for rinky dink stuff
    or go to the bank for rolls to search.
    I,m sorta addicted to hunting down coins `in the wild`= from circulation.
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I resumed collecting three years ago, not a day has gone by where I have not been searching for coins, studying coins, thinking about coins, or madly buying them when I can.

Your seeing who else is addicted? I AM ADDICTED.....help!

Tyler
  • MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    I went 5 years while I was in college. I bought cheaper coins at auctions when I was in high school and made some good buys. When I was an undergrad, I stopped collecting, but I still had my coins. Then in grad school I started again. Right now, I am going on 1 month without buying a coin. I've made some bids but it seems the prices have gone up recenltly and I'm not ready to pay the new prices.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    I've been collecting over 30 years, but have gone years in between without a single purchase..... I collect alot of things and I seem to do it in cycles...Sometimes I real heavy into comics, other times into my music....... Lately, its been coins and comics.... I need to start up again on my vintage radios.....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
    Arco wrote>Since I resumed collecting three years ago, not a day has gone by where I have not been searching for coins, studying coins, thinking about coins, or madly buying them when I can.

Cam40 says he can honestly say that he could have written the exact same thing and been perfectly honest about it.

I guess there IS a parallel universe out there after all.

Show of a pic of a neat art-deco radio from back in the day....just tell em I said it was ok. image
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

The entire 1990's
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a decade... the high school, college, and early working years. 1984-1994

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I went about 15 years without buying a single coin (not even proof sets from the Mint). But I still continued my ANA membership and Coin World subscription all that time.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• 09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    As far as buying, only once or twice a month. On the other hand, thinking about, talking with others, reading, etc. : DAILY!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pretty much dropped out of the hobby from late 1984 to 1990; the (post) high school, college, and early working years, as in Baley's case. I'd sold off all but three of my "sentimental" coins.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

• << <i>Arco wrote>Since I resumed collecting three years ago, not a day has gone by where I have not been searching for coins, studying coins, thinking about coins, or madly buying them when I can.

Cam40 says he can honestly say that he could have written the exact same thing and been perfectly honest about it.

I guess there IS a parallel universe out there after all.

image >>

Although I've just started collecting for the first time, I have to agree with the "not a day goes by" statement.
    Just My 2 Cents,
    Big Mike <><

Let your roots grow down into him and draw up nourishment from him, so you will grow in faith, strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught. Let your lives overflow with thanksgiving for all that he has done. --Colossians 2:7
  • merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Cliff
    To be honest,I don't think there has been a week iin the last (3) years I haven't thought about,searched or purchased a coin.image
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • About 8 months
  • My longest period in withdrawals was about 6 mos. Actually I take that back... 2 years when I was working in, of all places, Alice Springs, Australia. If any of you know where that is you'd know why!!!
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file