Home U.S. Coin Forum

Need advice...lessons and decision...coin is sold!

RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
Let's say that you have the opportunity to buy a really great coin. It costs approximately twice what you typically pay for coins and 50% more than you have ever paid for a coin. It is not exactly what you typically collect, but it is a beautiful coin that you keep coming back to view. While you can afford it, buying it might mean that the next coin that comes along that is high on your want list for a set may have to be passed over. We all have probably been in the situation, or some variation thereof.

Do you...
1. Buy it! Throw caution to the wind. Who knows how long it will be before the darn 1861-D $5 comes along anyway!
2. Pass. Wait for the 1879-O $20. You may need the dough to stretch for it. Do not get distracted by every pretty coin that comes along.
3. Sell some "mistake" coins or upgraded ones to fund the purchase--coins that are desirable but series or issues that you were once interested in but no longer actively seek. Besides, they are taking up too much room in the ol' safety deposit box. image
4. Sell the "mistake" coins, but bank the cash. What if the 1861-D and 1879-O come along at the same time?

Comments

• I would say numbers 1 and 3

If you really like the coin that much, buy it while you have the chance.
  • DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    I have, on occasion, sold a couple of coins I'm no longer interested in to fund a new purchase, but I try real hard to stay focused on my current collecting goal.

(take a deep breath, stay focused, keep breathing. . .)

On the other hand, this is supposed to be a fun hobby. I say that if the coin is calling your name and you dream about it, you better buy it!

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes you gotta listen to that little voice in your head. If you keep going back to it- there is a reason....buy it!
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the sound of #3 or #4.

Take the plunge, by all means, if it REALLY makes your heart go pitter-patter, and brings out the Greedy Goblin in you. However, you can still take the plunge with caution and look before you leap.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    buy it buy it buy it

i'm thinking I missed my "chance of a lifetime" and i regret it

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #3. Later, if the 61-D and 79-O come up at the same time, you know that somehow you'll find the money to buy them both.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • I tend to hoard things. This is not good as I end up with mistakes and lots of stuff that just isn't my focus. I learned more from selling than I have from buying. So I recommend selling mistakes and duplicates even if there is nothing new to buy.

As to buying an expensive coin I'm OK with that. As long as it fits my collection. I really am trying to focus these days image
  • RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    Sell to fund, or just buy. If it is so heartpoundingly cool, it'll be awesome to look at whenever you want to..
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    #3 unless it won't raise enough money. Otherwise #2.
  • Number 3 you'll also learn some important lessons....but discipline yourself and don't buy the new coin until you have CIF [cash in fist]. Remember it's a hobby. Enjoy your coins and don't ever compromise your families standard of living on a coin. [Of course if I had deviated from this policy I would currently own Judd 1776, Montgomery's Dahlonega collection and most of Jimmy Hayes old type coins but be enjoying them sans family in a shack by the river behind the railroad tracks.]
    Collect for enjoyment
  • MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    3 and 4!
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    1+3! Don't pass it up if it's that nice! This IS for enjoyment after all, isn't it??!
  • baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    If you know the other series well, go ahead.

I've found in my experience that when I want a coin I don't know as much about, I usually overpay and don't get quite what I would have wanted had I known the series. My first forays into a new series usually end up being the 'mistakes' you mention in #3. I try to make those first ones as inexpensive as possible.

So, for me, I would never make my most expensive coin one in a series that I didn't know well.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭
    1, 3 and 4.
    Mark
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    my motto, posted many times, is this:

if you like the coin, if you really really like it, the price does not matter

the corollary to this is: DO NOT pass up a coin you really like!

make sure you definitely, irretrievably, undisputable LOVE the coin, be totally honest, & your conscience will be your guide

K S
  • Number 3!!image
    Been there, Done that!!
  • SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd always sell a mistake coin VERY quickly (at the first decent opportunity). Its like cancer to your collection. But, for me, its very difficult to sell a nice coin....regardless if I'm upgrading it. Case in point I have a 1847-D Half Eagle in an attractive, original VF grade. A few years later I bought a really nice AU. I just can't stand the fact that "logic" dictates that I shoul sell the coin because I upgraded. I, at times, become too attached to my coins. That's just me.

RYK,

Remember the story about the old lady and the 79-O? I'll call the old shop and see if they can track her down. I suggested that she get it certfied....PCGS called it AU50. And the was back in 1986 or 1987, first generation holder......that mean its at least MS62 today.image

Seth
    Collecting since 1976.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talk about the 1879-O $20 has me drooling!
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    Most people seem to think you should buy the coin. I, however, would say “STAY FOCUSED!”

While you should always sell coins that are mistakes, were upgraded, or are of no interest, don’t spend your money on coins that are not on your regular WANT-LIST.

It’s happened to me before. I spend money on a coin that was earmarked for another yet to be found and BAM, there it is, the one that I’d been looking for from my want-list. But guess what? I now no longer have the money to buy it. And of course, when I finally have the funds, the coin is long gone and I’m left holding yet another coin that, although beautiful, is not what I reeeeeally wanted.

Stay the course. Accomplish your goal.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
    Shamika,

I was hoping someone would tell me to pass and stay focused. I have not yet decided, and frankly, I am hoping the coin sells to someone else before I get a chance to secure it. If I ever do get it, it will be posted here.

Hint: It has been previously posted on these message boards.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    RYK,

If the coin has been posted on The Forum, it probably is a beauty that would be hard to pass.

But as you said yourself, “I was hoping someone would tell me to pass and stay focused”. Few people ever finish a series and you can now see why.

FOCUS, FOCUS, FOCUS!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • 09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    #3 if I really want it.
    I have tallied the votes and made my decision. I thank all board participants for their input. First, the tally (including multiple votes):

1. Buy it!--8 votes
    2. Pass. --1 vote (thanks Shamika)
    3. Sell, then buy--11 votes
    4. Sell, bank $ for future coin--6 votes

What I have learned:
    1. Everyone has "mistake" coins. They are not necessarily bad coins, but coins that you, in retrospect, wish that you had not purchased.
    2. You are better off ditching your mistake coins. They sit around, take up space and capital, and are a reminder of that mistake.
    3. Learn from your mistake. Was it a Heritage auction in which the photo was deceiving? Was it an ebay auction coin purchased when you were bored an browsing? Was it a series you thought you might collect but changed your mind? Was it an impulse purchase? Learn why you made the "mistake", so history does not repeat itself.
    4. Patience is the key to a truly excellent collection. Admittedly, this is not my strength in any area in life (work, family, commute, recreation, etc.). Conversely, impatience is the bitter enemy of the great collection.

What I plan to do:
    1. Sell the mistake and duplicate coins ASAP.
    2. Wait until after ANA.
    3. If the special coin is still available, still calling, and I have not purchased a want list coin from my primary dealer after the ANA, I will buy the special coin. I will then conclude that it was "meant to be".
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I am too late... but I express my thoughts and you can do what you are going to do. If you really like the coin and if it is part of a series that you currently do not collect, but like the coin enough to buy because of its rarity, originality, lustre and it is just a great overall example, THEN BUY IT. Do not pass up a coin if it meets your standards...why? Because collecting interests change and this coin, at some point in the future may be the same interest to you as that 1879-o $20 that you are currently seeking.

If money is not an object, don't wait to sell coins at a distressed level because you what something else. Sell those coins when there are buyers and interest. I would not make the decision to buy the coin conditional on selling over coins if that can be avoided. What if you sell something only to find out the coin you wanted sold? Good luck and please consider posting a scan of the coin should you choose to buy it.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Ha! The coin was sold today. I am relieved and learned valuable lessons in the process. This coin was offered by Pinnacle, the 1803 $10 in AU-50. It was a nice complement to my icon coin, the 1803/2, but I have no aspirations (or capital) to do much with early gold.

And here it is...

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoever said that was a beautiful coin... was right!
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • If you would have just shown that picture to begin with, we all would have said: BUY IT !!!

Nice coin, but I can understand your dilema. Exppensive coins are hard to swallow, especially when they are not on your immediate want list.

Something else will come up that will make you just as happy.

Jayimage
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,506 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • I just paid well over trends for an ANACS EF45 1942/1 Merc Dime. I wanted it bad enough so the price didn't matter a whole lot. Just bought a '55 Doubled ANACS MS61 BRN also. I cannot pass up overdates and doubled coins. I take them when I can, so long as I have enough Washington's in the bank to cover the charge.
  • LokiLoki Posts: 897 ✭✭
    You had the chance to buy THAT? image And you DIDN'T?? imageimage WhatareyouNUTS?!?!?!?

Just kidding image ... maybe

Anyways good luck with your set RYK.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file