Home U.S. Coin Forum

Submitting in PVC or Mylar Flips

There have been several threads about whether the type of submission (Regular, Economy, etc) affects the final grade given.

What about PVC versus Mylar flip?

I want to send in about 20 coins for grading. The local coin dealer only has PVC. Should I go with the PVC or spend the time and money to mail order some mylar flips?

Thanks for the advice

Comments

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get the non-PVC... what would be worse than the grading taking 70 days and your coins developing PVC while waiting, and then getting bagged? You'd lose a LOT in fees, rather than $5 for shipping.

Jeremy

PS- If you need, I'll pick some up at the dealer in town during a lunch break and mail them to you... all at cost.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Thanks Jeremy -

PVC damage can happen that fast? Wow...

I was just thinking that the grader might say "if he won't spend the effort to store the coins correctly, this CAN'T be a MS 66"

Thanks,
    Steve

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They probably won't care, BUT...

There are people who have said that their coins developed haze between shipping and grading with the wrong flips... you never know about the PVC... heck, say your package gets damp while in transit, and is stored wet for 50 days... that wouldn't help the PVC, I don't think.

Jeremy

PS- Even if PVC would not develop, why take the risk?
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Having stored SQs in a couple types of 2x2 safety flips I found that the rubbery ones, the real pliable ones,
    made some haze develope on all those.
    The hard ones that always crack in the middle leaving you with a single holder with an opening on one side,
    seemed to not have caused any hazing or little toning on the coins within.These are stored in a cardboard
    box so I expect some to tone alittle, but that weird haze freaked me out so I
    just made them all AU58s with the teeshirt tail.
    If I didnt I may have should have left one to study for reference.
    So is it the rubbery type are the PVCers and the hard ones are Mylar?

I think the hard ones could be PVC too but just dont hold the moisture in like the soft flips.
    Thats the problem I think .Moisture. Or moisture retentive holders.

I think of Mylar as that ultra-thin sheet in the cardboard staple type 2x2s.
    I,m kinda ignorant to the 2x2s and what they,re all made of.

someone learn me bout it. image
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭
    I would recommend to NEVER use PVC ever.

I would buy from a source that sells guaranteed, 100% mylar (polyethylene terephthalate). Such a source could be Kelgory, or Stanton. There are many sources, but it's important to buy the quality, and not just hope the flips or 2X2s don't contain PVC. Yes, PVC contamination can occur quickly.

Please don't risk your coins by using PVC.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭

<< <i>I would recommend to NEVER use PVC ever. I would buy from a source that sells guaranteed, 100% mylar (polyethylene terephthalate). Such a source could be Kelgory, or Stanton. There are many sources, but it's important to buy the quality, and not just hope the flips or 2X2s don't contain PVC. Yes, PVC contamination can occur quickly. Please don't risk your coins by using PVC. imageimageimage >>

Agree wholeheartedly, it's not worth the risk of a coin becoming ruined unnecessarily.

I did check Kelgory and Stantons site, and neither had NON-PVC 20 pocket pages.

Does anyone have a known source for NON-PVC pages?
    Mark
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the hard plastic one's would scratch the coin?Al
  • hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭
    I don't think the harder pages would scratch the coin, provided it is housed in a 2x2. Still, PVC is not an excuse for carefully and properly handling coins.
    Mark
  • supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    I use E&T Kointainer SAFLIP brand flips exclusively, and paid for that knowledge in ruined coins. I put the coins in them naked -- no poly bags or anything, which can also cause hazing on delicate coins.

You could perhaps theoretically scratch a coin with one when inserting it, but once it's inside it's fine. As mentioned, they will sometimes crack at the seam, particularly with heavy coins, so pack them securely. I lay out 3-4 coins per row on a roll of bubble wrap, fold it over, put another row, etc... for about 5-6 rows. Then the bubble wrapped rolls of coins into an Express mail Tyvek envelope, then into an Express mail box with packing peanuts.

I Express-mail them overnight uninsured (do this at your own risk) to minimize transit time in any temperature extremes.

The extra cost for a mylar flip is trivial compared to the grading cost and the cost of a coin that's worth submitting.
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>Does anyone have a known source for NON-PVC pages? >>

Try a photography supply house for archival quality pages for 2X2 slide storage. For examplePrint File Archival Storage Go to the page and do a search for Slide pages and I think you'll find what you want. the pages are made from Polypropylene not PVC.
    I thought the hard plastic one's would scratch the coin?Al

I think thats right. Thats why I keep only some of my SQs in them, the non-cherry ones mainly.

And thats the reason why I use the cardboard /mylar for the nicest ones.
    Those hard 2x2s are real slider-makers. I try to shove the coin to one far corner so it will hold
    and NOT slide around hopefully.

I guess the logic is ,for me anyway, is a hard flip is better than no flip, and mylar is better than
    hard 2x2s, and pro slabs are better than all of the above. Its a matter of cost of storage and whats
    being stored.
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Conder101
    Congrads on your book sell outimage.Al
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,506 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So is it the rubbery type are the PVCers and the hard ones are Mylar? >>

Generally, yes- the softer ones are bad news. Particularly if exposed to heat.

BUT- I have heard them suggested for submissions.

Unless it's a proof coin with very delicate surfaces and you're worried about haze, I'd say the soft ones don't present much threat. Better to have inert, non-PVC flips if possible, of course, but it's usually not gonna cause you a problem if you use non-inert ones for a very short term.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    I've had hazing problems with soft flips on business strike coins as well -- with (at least) copper-nickel clad and silver-clad (80% silver outer layers). I'm not sure I've had it happen with 90% silver coins but personally I wouldn't risk it.

I don't think SAFLIPs will cause any "slider" problems assuming you insert the coin carefully, unless you put it in a paint shaker afterward or something. image I would guess the SAFLIPs also stay off the surface of the coin better than soft flips or 2x2s because the harder plastic provides better support, allowing the rim of the coin to keep the flip from clinging to the rest of the coin.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

<I thought the hard plastic one's would scratch the coin?Al>

As a rule most plastics are softer than metals and don't scratch them, but that is why they tell you to put the coin into the little poly bag BEFORE it goes into the flips. As those who use the coin albums with the plastic slides will tell you, if you do it enough your coins will show signs of plastic slide wear.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    The plastic won't scratch the coin but if dust grains get caught between the plastic and the coin surface they can scratch the coin. Much dust is silica based which means quartz like crystals with a hardness greater than that of the coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file