Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Time to go back to the snipe!!!

Just about the time one @#$%head goes away another steps in and takes his place. You can always count on it. They think you are stupid when they step up to just below your bid. What cheeses me off is sometimes it a person from this board who does it. I dont care what anyone says driving a persons bid up just to make them spend more money is down right vicious. I wouldn't do it to anyone let alone someone on this board. I cant believe people are so childish when they lose auctions that they have to resort to this kind of tactic. To all of you who do not use this way of screwing the compitition I apoligize that you have read me venting. To those of you who continue to do this I know who you are and I will block you from my auctions and refuse to help you in any way. Its back to the snipe.

Daveimage
Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com

Comments

• VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Dave -- I couldn't agree more.

One thing that frustrates me in bidding and has nothing to do with maliciousness is continually coming in second with the third bidder nowhere in the neighborhood. Then another copy of that card comes up and I end up being second bidder in a similar scenario to a bidder who didn't even bid on the first card.
  • murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
  • MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    One thing that frustrates me in bidding and has nothing to do with maliciousness is continually coming in second with the third bidder nowhere in the neighborhood. Then another copy of that card comes up and I end up being second bidder in a similar scenario to a bidder who didn't even bid on the first card

Yep David, story of my life.image
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • I couldn't have said id better myself.image
    I need that 69 Bench ASimage

• Stump

I almost exclusively Snipe but how can someone tell what your bid is and bid just below your bid? I am not doubting you, just curious.

Sandy
    Buying 1964 PSA 9 Baseball
  • VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    Dave,

I feel your pain. I have been experiencing the same thing for a long time now. I've been putting in minimum bids on auctions lately just to "notify" any other collectors that I know that I'm going to win this card (i.e. place a very high snipe at the end). Many people who post here will continue to outbid my low initial bid anyway and end up costing me a good bit in the end.

I know if I see an auction that another member here has a bid on, I'll back off (with one exception, Marc image ). I've backed off many auctions for '69s and '75s that Dave (Stump) has bids on for just that reason. The occasional error happens - I cost my sister's boyfriend quite a bit on an auction that neither of us knew the other was interested in - we raised the bids by over $30 with snipes at 5 seconds remaining. image

Doesn't anyone else follow this unspoken rule?

JEB.
  • Stump

So your saying if I already have a card in low pop, can't buy another one?

I don't think you've ever gone up agaisnt me since I'm mostly FB guy. But your nuts, if you think I'm going to sit there and watch somebody steal something dirt cheap. If your a seller you want me bidding on your auctions because if I go after something I hit it hard.

Paul
    -------------------------------------

Buying 56, 57, 58 and 62 FB PSA 7-9
  • BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Virtural-

<< <i>I know if I see an auction that another member here has a bid on, I'll back off (with one exception, Marc ). I've backed off many auctions for '69s and '75s that Dave (Stump) has bids on for just that reason. >>

Im sure the sellers (dealers) out there appreciate that....especially other collectors who sell cards on eBay. I love the idea that when I sell cards that certain people will not bid because someone else places an early bid.

Dave-

May I suggest the service justsnipe.com .... it costs $5.00 per month for unlimted snipes and they automatically pull the $5.00 from your paypal account. There is no contract and you can cancel after one month.

In regards to people running you up....how do you know? Maybe they are interested in stocking up on certain low-pop cards? Truthfully...I dont see how you can be upset....if you place bids early and or do not stagger the amounts of your bids then you are leaving yourself open to not winning auctions under your top bid but right near it.

John

• Hmm, interesting differences of opinion. I cannot imagine bidding up a card that I don't want in order to take funds from someone else. On the other hand, I also cannot imagine not bidding on a card because someone else has already bid. I generally put in my bid on any card that I want to own with the idea of bidding the maximum I am willing to pay for that card regardless of who else might be bidding. When I sell a card, I hope others behave similarly image
    Sandy

Buying 1964 PSA 9 Baseball

Sandy-

Ive noticed that you snipe quite often on the 65s....(I found out the hard way...when my snipe does not go through).

John

<< <i>Virtural-

<< <i>I know if I see an auction that another member here has a bid on, I'll back off (with one exception, Marc ). I've backed off many auctions for '69s and '75s that Dave (Stump) has bids on for just that reason. >>

Im sure the sellers (dealers) out there appreciate that....especially other collectors who sell cards on eBay. I love the idea that when I sell cards that certain people will not bid because someone else places an early bid. >>

John,

Maybe you misunderstood what I was saying:

If someone I know from these boards that I respect and have had great dealings with in the past (stump, for example) has a bid on a card, out of respect I will not place a bid knowing that it would only cost that person more money when the auction ends (i.e. I know he's going to win at all costs). If it's a card I really need for a set, then all bets are off and I'd hope that others here would recognize the fact that the card is one of the few I need to complete a set and not cost me more than necessary when they know that I will win the auction at any cost. The auctions that I was referring to were '69 and '75 Topps Baseball commons. I know that Dave is very close to finishing his '69 set. I could have bid very high on the last few cards that he won, hell, I might have even outbid him on a few, but I know they'll come along again and I'll probably get them for less as time goes by and more cards are graded.

What are you currently trying hard to get, John? Maybe I'll start a set that you're working on and just bid outrageously on the last few cards that you need, but never win any and drive your final bid up by hundreds of dollars. Maybe then you'd understand Dave's frustration.

JEB.
  • StumpStump Posts: 927
    Paul

You have totally misunderstood what I am saying. If you are on ebay alot you can start to read what certain buyers bidding paterns are. People are creatures of habit and I myself find I will put max bids in on nines or tens. After awhile others learn what that is and ladder thier bids up till they believe what my bid is just to cost me more money with no intention of winnig the card. They dont want the card they just are so egotistacal they think it will hurt the high bidders pocket book by constantly bidding up in 1.00 increments. Its easy to tell when they hit your high bid I would explain how but then I would create a whole new load of @#$%heads to contend with. If you want to bid on a card by all means bid away. This is the USA last time I checked. But if you are bidding in 1.00 increments just to bid someone up to cost them more money that is just down right wrong. My opinion if you dont like it I can' t do nothing about it. I would never want anyone not to bid on a card just because I bid on it that would make sellers quite upset. I have passed on cards other board members needed to finish a set. An example of this is Ron Hobbs on the 69 Cleon Jones. I knew it was his last card so I opted to bid on other items that week. My choice Ron did not know nor did I tell him. I just thought it was a nice jesture. Would I have won the card. I dont know, maybe but the botton line is some people can be nasty and intentionally cost a bidder more money just out of spite. I will state it again I will not do business with these types. I will block them from my auctions and I will refuse to bid on thier auctions. Most people on here will tell you I am a very generous buyer. I know I overbuy alot but I do because I am a collector not an invester.

Dave

• << <i>Hmm, interesting differences of opinion. I cannot imagine bidding up a card that I don't want in order to take funds from someone else. On the other hand, I also cannot imagine not bidding on a card because someone else has already bid. I generally put in my bid on any card that I want to own with the idea of bidding the maximum I am willing to pay for that card regardless of who else might be bidding. When I sell a card, I hope others behave similarly >>

I agree with this 100%. The only variations are I may bid at the beginning of the auction, the middle, or the end...but I do not EVER pass the amount I am comfortable paying. Those who get run up, only have themselves to blame.

Am I not allowed to bid on a card because someone special is winning?? This is certainly not fair to collectors and dealers alike who are selling.
    Oh yeah,

72leadfoot,

I'm sure Dave's not talking about someone running up his bids on a card that's selling dirt cheap. Most likely, we're talking commons that SMR at $10 and sell at 5 to 10 times (even more) than that amount. image

JEB.

<< <i>What are you currently trying hard to get, John? Maybe I'll start a set that you're working on and just bid outrageously on the last few cards that you need, but never win any and drive your final bid up by hundreds of dollars. Maybe then you'd understand Dave's frustration. >>

Go for it.

The set right now is 1965's....till I sell off again. I have a long way to go...but have a good number of the low-pops already....but I will collect multiples for investment purposes. If you can guess the dollar amount of my snipe...then you are the man.

John
    John

There is a way to bid people up on auctions with no intention of buying. I am not referring to say Gaspipe who will bid on multiples of the same card. I agree with Paul in I also will not let a card go dirtcheap. That is good biz. But bidding someone up just to cost them more money with no intentions of wanting the card is wrong. I know this is true because I have talked to people who have done it. It happens all the time. You can tell when it happens when a bidder bids only on the cards you are bidding on and nothing else. I ticked a guy off on 75's once and he followed me to the 68's. He had and still does not have a 68 set registered. He bid only on the 68's I bid on and never won one. I retracted a bid once to see what he would do and he also retracted his bids. I am telling you it happens and if you think it doesn't thats fine. thatnks for the tip on the sniping I went back to tonight and won a few with no altercations. Maybe I am just an arse magnet.

Dave

Dave-

Bidding on low-pops is one thing....people who know which cards are the tough ones are not going to let them go for cheap...no matter what set it is....BUT....I agree with you...bidding up a card $1.00 at a time is pretty weak.

Thanks for the clarification,

John
    Dave-

I see what you are saying....if you see me bidding on Low Pop 65's...know that I at least collect them and can always use multiples of any of the good cards for trade purposes....thats if I have them already....chances are I still need them.

John
    John

I really only have a couple guys who do this. It is the minority. When it happens to you, you will know. Its a minor inconvienace at best but it is annoying. I dont have any issues with you or any other who has posted on this thread. Jeb knows what I am talking about because it has happened to him. When it happens it sticks out like a sore thumb other wise it just sits and festers and is totally invisible to most ebayers. I got your email I do need six cards on your list and I will email them to you tommorow. Time for me to get some shuteye 4:30 comes quick.

Dave
  • purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    The idea of screwing other bidders never crossed my mind until I read this. What the hell is wrong with people? None of this is life or death.
    PurelyPSA

Thats just the way people are. I checked my auctions once and saw a card I was bidding on had 15 bids on it but I was still high bidder at 60.00. I looked into history and saw the same clown had bid up in minimun increments 11 times. When I checked his history the only cards he was bidding on in that year were the ones I bid on. He has since stopped since I emailed him and ebay about this. I the got an email back from him apoligizing. His take on it was he thought it was good biz to drive a competitors bid up so they had less money to spend on other auctions. This fellow was buying 71's at the time and I beat him on a dozen or so auctions so he earmarked the rest of mine. He was humble afterwards and I still on occasion get an email from him but he thought what he was doing was ethical. Even now there are still some that would argue this is good biz. I disagree with this and will not do biz with people who use this practice.

Dave
  • Dave,

There have been several times when I have seen board members bidding on auctions and I passed on bidding because I knew my bid would not win and it would only cost them money. If someone only needs a few cards to compete a set then you know that they will more than likely be placing a huge bid. There isn't any reason just to drive the price up on them. I never thought about it being done in reverse though and I don't blame you for being upset.

wayneimage
    1955 Bowman Football
  • poolpool Posts: 58 ✭✭
    No need to explain the specifics, but it there a way to force a bidder to his max bid without taking a chance on becoming the high bidder? Assuming the answer is no, I don't see anything wrong with anybody bidding whatever on any auction. I know it against the rules, but I also do not see what is wrong with a seller bidding on his own auctions assuming the seller could possibly become his own high bidder and win his own lot.
    If there's a low pop card on auction and Tom bids $1 for the card, Dick and Harry will not bid on the card because Tom bid on it?
    So Tom win the card for $1? Good for Tom but the seller gets $1 for the low pop card?
    So bidding on a lot to drive up the price is wrong because it hurts the bidder and helps the seller.
    Not bidding on a lot to keep the price low is ok because it helps the bidder and hurts the seller.
    I don't get it.

• carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭
    Virtualizard,

Stay away from the Carew's I need and we will get along fine image

Loves me some shiny!

• << <i>I know it against the rules, but I also do not see what is wrong with a seller bidding on his own auctions assuming the seller could possibly become his own high bidder and win his own lot. >>

Pool,

I think that since it's against the rules that makes it wrong. Ebay decides the rules. Do you currently sell on ebay? If so, please let me know your user id so I can avoid your auctions.

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
    Randall,

You've got a deal!

BTW, why don't you have the Carew basic set listed?

I just moved into the #1 spot, but I'm sure I could be easily overtaken soon. image

JEB.
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭
    Virtualizard,

I am going to register that one soon.

I have every Carew in raw high grade, if a special comes along, look out image

Good luck on your sets.

CHECK OUT MY CAREW WEBSITE IF YOU NEED TO REFERENCE ANY CARDS:

Link

Loves me some shiny!
  • VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    If someone is known not to bid in even $$ increments, you can easily expose their top bid if they don't snipe. 'Nuff said.
    Wayne,
    It's Ebay's game, Ebay's rules, play according to the rules or don't play.
    I absolutely agreed. I meant to say that because a seller can bid on his own
    auction and become the high bidder and win his own auction, I didn't see a need for such a rule.
    However, for other reasons, I now believe that sellers should be restricted from bidding on their own auctions.
    I take back the 'sellers...' statement.

• Pool,

I agree with that. There's nothing I hate worse than placing a large bid to secure a card and being shilled. If you really need a card and it's going to go for around $50, you don't want to snipe it at $55 and lose it to someone who bids $55.01. Therefore you may place a large snipe not expecting to pay that much but just to secure the card and not lose it over a few cents. I've done this when I get fairly close to completing a set and I hate it when a shill bid is placed because someone else knows you need the card.

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • No need to explain the specifics, but it there a way to force a bidder to his max bid without taking a chance on becoming the high bidder?

The answer is yes.

Most of us have done this at one time or another. Say the high bid on a card is $9.99, the opening bid. You don't feel like sniping, so you put in a bid for $79.00. You are not the high bidder, and the current bid is now $81.05. Thus, you know exactly what the other bidder has for a high bid - $81.05. If he had bid $81.50 or more, that would be the high bid (because of the $2.50 bid increments). If you wanted to be a jerk, you could then place a bid for $81.04. You wouldn't win the auction, but you could force the high bidder to pay $2.04 more. Presumably, you could also "feel out" the high bid of a bidder by placing tons of bids in small (perhaps $.49) increments.

Some people just have way too much time on their hands. Why are there people who go through so much effort just to be a dick? And why does eBay seem to attract so many antisocial losers such as the subject of this thread?

The way to avoid this is to snipe, or at least place bids in the last few hours of auctions . . .

POTD = 09/03/2003

<< <i> Say the high bid on a card is $9.99, the opening bid. You don't feel like sniping, so you put in a bid for $79.00. You are not the high bidder, and the current bid is now $81.05. >>

How did you know to bid $79.00?
    It's my guess that the majority of auctions with a $9.99 opening bid, $79.00 will make you the high bidder.
  • How did you know to bid $79.00?

You don't. My post was a bit unclear; the hypothetical I presented is a situation when you accidently discover what the high bidder has bid. If you wanted to intentionally discover what the high bidder has bid, you should bid $10.48 and keep placing bids in small increments until you "feel out" what he has bid. Personally, I think it's totally unethical and kind of creepy - why should anyone (but the seller) care what I pay for an item, unless they are willing to purchase it themselves?

POTD = 09/03/2003
    Apparently there are bidders that bid on lots that they don't want. Their purpose is to bid up the lot
    without actually winning the lot. But in bidding up the lot, they always have the risk of winning the lot.
    Even with bidding in small increments, push a bid to the max without going over seems to me to be
    russian roulette. I know it possible that you can sometimes tell the max bid but there is no guaranteed way
    (actually, that's my question, is there?). So, I don't see anything wrong with these types of bids.
    I personally don't like to be outbid in any auction, for whatever reason, by whatever increment.
    But, with limited funds, it happens.
  • acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Dave,

Just snipe it...

I think Chris Renaud ran into the same problem.

You can take solace in the fact that if I had your money...I would burn mine!

That still doesn't make it right for these jagoffs to run you up like that. If there's something that I really want these days...I always snipe. The problem is that I haven't seen much that I really wanted lately.

Regards,

Alan
  • I just do not get it. If I am trying to win an auction, what is wrong with trying to determine what the high bidder may be bidding? Presumably the high bidder did not bid more than he or she is willing to pay for the item.

As for sniping, I see nothing wrong with looking at closed auctions to determine what price regular snipers paid in the past. I can then bid over the "snipe" and win.

Finally, if I pay $100 for a 1976 PSA 8 card and the same card comes up again, why should I not bid on the card for market purposes. Obviously, if I happen to win a card with this strategy, I have to pay the winning bid.

Seems as if some people believe that because they are collecting a particular card or set for the Registry it gives them a right of first refusal on cards.
    Always buying high grade Mike Schmidt and Steve Carlton cards!!!

<< <i> what is wrong with trying to determine what the high bidder may be bidding. >>

Apparently if you try to determine the high bid and don't want the card, that's wrong.
    If you try to determine the high bid and you do want the card, that's OK.
    I don't get it either.
    You know what I am done trying to explain this. If you dont get it forgive me for not being able to explain my point on this. I could care less if I lose some auctions. Hooray for the winner. I lose auctions every week thats part of the game. If another bidder can determine what my high bid is so he can beat me that is fine also,more power to him. If you are just curious as to what the high bid wait till the end of the auction and you will find your answer. If you are bidding in increments to find out what the high bid is to see of you want to beat it fine. If he is bidding up all the auctions I am bidding on WITH NO INTENTION OF WINNING BUT WITH THE ONLY PURPOSE BUT TO COST ME MORE MONEY BECAUSE I KICKED HIS ARSE IN PREVIOUS AUCTIONS THEN AND ONLY THEN WILL I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS BIDDER. Nuff said

Alan thanks I am going into snipe mode till this arsehole stops. If some of these guys had this happen to them then they would understand. I cant explain it any clearer.

Dave

• ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Dave: I get it, and am now going to move my 67 and 68 sets dark until I decide otherwise. I get the sense a card I'm bidding on was just outbid by a name that outbid you. Hope to see you in A.C.!

E
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.

• << <i>You know what I am done trying to explain this. If you dont get it forgive me for not being able to explain my point on this. I could care less if I lose some auctions. Hooray for the winner. I lose auctions every week thats part of the game. If another bidder can determine what my high bid is so he can beat me that is fine also,more power to him. If you are just curious as to what the high bid wait till the end of the auction and you will find your answer. If you are bidding in increments to find out what the high bid is to see of you want to beat it fine. If he is bidding up all the auctions I am bidding on WITH NO INTENTION OF WINNING BUT WITH THE ONLY PURPOSE BUT TO COST ME MORE MONEY BECAUSE I KICKED HIS ARSE IN PREVIOUS AUCTIONS THEN AND ONLY THEN WILL I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS BIDDER. Nuff said

Alan thanks I am going into snipe mode till this arsehole stops. If some of these guys had this happen to them then they would understand. I cant explain it any clearer.

Dave >>

Dave-

totally understand, and totally agree that it is annoying. you might try getting another user id just for purchases, to throw the jerk off. i did this and it worked like a charm

-Will
  • Here's an example, I think, of what you're talking about:

1974 TOPPS ERNIE JACKSON # 366 - PSA 9

You might write this off to a newbie bidding for the first time (the user ID was registered today), but there was no way that $1 increments was going to win this card.

And I've dealt with this seller enough to know beyond a doubt it was not a shill.
    John Vineyard

• ive dealt with him too, good guy
    Will

Thanks for the advice I didn't think of that angle. Thats why I wanted to talk about this for ideas.

Thanks Dave
    John

Looks like you got hit. If the same guy keeps doing it to you then thats what I am talking about. Sometimes its just a one time occurance. No big deal then. But when it repeats its ugly head over and over on many auctions then it becomes annoying.

Dave
    Eric

I move my sets dark every now and then. It seems to help but if the guy is smoking you he will just follow you around by your ID

Dave
    Stump
    Your problem would only be a problem if you bid the exact same max bid on everything.
    ( how can the other bidder know your max bid?)
    If you use the sniper program and set the same max bid you may have the same problem
    if the other bidder also uses the sniper and again somehow knows your max bid and
    which cards you want.
    Either way, I think you should vary your max bids.
    Pool

You are so right. As I stated before I get in the habit of putting the same high bid in. I will not make this mistake again as my bids now will vary. I did help put myself in this position. I may have loaded the gun but there still needs to be a @#$%head to pull the trigger. Oh well anyway it gos the problem will once again be solved.

Daveimage
  • acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Part of the problem is that EBAY makes it so easy for people to get a report on EVERY item that you're bidding on. They can slice and dice your bidding patterns based on your bidding history as well. Why this information is made available to literally anyone out there really doesn't make sense to me whatsoever. If they would privative this information, a good chunk of the nonsense would cease.

Regards,

Alan
  • gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭

I think its happened to Ron Ritt more than anyone.
  • FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Oh yeah Bob,

When he was building his 68 set, they were running him up pretty good.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!