Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Gemmintman, are you behind this?

I like Sandy as much as the next guy, but
this PSA 9 is already over $630 bucks and climbing!

Is this the Only 9 in the world or something?????

1964 Topps Giants Sandy Koufax #3 PSA 9 MINT
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    Amazing!

This card has a POP of 15 in PSA 9!

Looks like karlb@staples.com really wants this one considering none of his 5 bids have been topped yet.

I believe I've done business with this seller in the past and I'm not suggesting anything, but this bidding activity is the perfect opportunity for some shill bidding. I'm sure some ebay sellers would take advantage of this situation.

Always keep that in mind when you bid.

JEB.
  • Options
    crazysccrazysc Posts: 291
    There are 7 Short prints in the set, Koufax and Mays are the two keys.
    Why do I get the feeling, that some cards are worth money, while others are not?
  • Options
    These are not shill bids ... All the bidders do have 64 Giants sets. Considering the PSA 8 Koufax has been selling at $200+ lately (vs an SMR of $110) and the SMR on this card is $1100 ... I would not be suprised to see this one go for around $1200 or more. A very difficult card to find centerd and as Sol pointed out it is short printed....
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    BIGKID - The card SMR's for $1150.00 - Its now at $630.00 w/ 20 hours remaining, nothing unusual yet. There are a ton of Koufax collectors, Dodger collectors and 1964 Giants collectors and with said pop of 15, theres not enough to go around, I would be surprised if it didn't surpass the SMR level...jay
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    It is amazing it is so low--I have no idea what this card has gone for in past auctions but certainly this should go for at least $1,000...but there is time left.

Davalillo
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i>It is amazing it is so low--It should go for at least $1,000... >>

Well, maybe I wll Snipe it CHEAP
    at $750 image

(it is hard to say Cheap and $750 in the same
    setence without getting a bit of a chill down my
    spine! )
    imageimage
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    "Nets 05" was the high bidder (I won't say by how much out of respect to this "karlb" bidder) until "Nets 05" who seemed rather suspicious retracted his bid.

• Options

<< <i>"Nets 05" was the high bidder (I won't say by how much out of respect to this "karlb" bidder) until "Nets 05" who seemed rather suspicious retracted his bid. >>

5 Bid Retractions with zero feedback!

Block this bidder now!

gemmint - karlb's bids make sense now and I wasn't suggesting they were shill bids. I thought he had just placed 5 top all bids - some ebay sellers would take advantage of that.

JEB.
  • Options
    Virtualizard - no problem, I understood what you were saying.

You know I couldn't find his bid history until you posted it (forgot to plug in the underscore _ in his user name). Geez, five retractions and no winning bids and the guy supposedly is in Australia. What's that all about?
  • Options
    I agree with Gemmint's views on this item. The only reason karlb has the top 5 bids was due to cancellation of the sham bids from Nets.

Although his set is not on the registry, karlb is as serious a bidder as there is on TG 9's. My guess is that he is around 80% complete with his set. I can guarantee that he is legit and not a shill.

And although there are 15 Koufax 9's, there hasnt been one on ebay for over a year now. And, in fact, there have only been a couple or so added to the population report during that same time. I am assuming that this is the newest card that was just recently added to the pop report.

This is definitely a card where cheap and $750 go in the same breath.

Maybe the Topps Green Giant will let loose with one of his ho-ho-ho's at the completion of this auction image.

KP
  • Options
    cubfan,

Again, re-read my posts. Nowhere did I suggest that karlb's bids were shills. I was merely stating that placing 5 top all bids when you are already the high bidder leaves you open to potential shill bids from a dishonest seller (which drcards is not). I made my original post before gemmintman pointed out that there had been a bid retraction.

JEB.
  • Options
    JEB - No problem. I understood that you understood image.

Just out of curiosity, when the top bid is retracted and you are in second place, does your top bid go to where it would have been had there been no shill or does it stay at where it was?

For instance, lets say a shill bidder has a high bid for $100, I bid up to $99 and stop, in second place. The third place bidder is at $70.

When the bid is retracted, does my top bid remain at $99 or does
    it drop to an increment above $70?

Can anyone enlighten me on this? It wouldnt seem fair that your high bid would remain where it was as it was driven by the shill bid. But Ive been surprised before.

Any help?
  • Options
    crazysccrazysc Posts: 291

<< <i>When the bid is retracted, does my top bid remain at $99 or does it drop to an increment above $70? >>

It drops down to a hair over $70.

This is sometimes taken advantage of by unscrupulous bidders - I had it happen to me where an item that was worth $100 was at $120 or so close to the end of the auction. Then, with basically no time left, one of the two high bidders, both of whom had bid the first day of the auction, retracted their bid. That caused the item to fall, and "sell", at $20 or so.

I contacted ebay, and they found out that the bidders had been in cahoots - it's called "bid shielding", preventing others from bidding on an item by bidding it up then retracting the bid at the last minute. They cancelled the results of the auction, so I wasn't required to sell it.
    Why do I get the feeling, that some cards are worth money, while others are not?
  • Options
    Well the Koufax went for a very respectable $1,194. I don't know the high bidder, but he's definitely putting this set together in high grade.
  • Options
    This bidder has nailed me on a quite a few 9's ... He is very aggressive.... Personally I thought this card would have went for much more but still a very strong showing....
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well the Koufax went for a very respectable $1,194. I don't know the high bidder, but he's definitely putting this set together in high grade. >>

Gem,

I've dealt with the high bidder. He is a good guy. He's lives near me too. At least one guy
    from South Jersey has been able to put this set together!image We made a deal a few months
    ago that included a nice Phillies game.

aconte