Home U.S. Coin Forum

What if you accidently fell into a SARS infested swimming pool with your mouth open and DIED.....

SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭
is your family prepared to handle your collection?

1)Did you leave instructions on where to sell?

2)If your family keeps your coins, do they know the value of each coin, and how to preserve them?

3)Do they know WHERE your coins are? Safe deposit boxes at several banks is common.

Seth
Collecting since 1976.

Comments

• LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    May they play some Bo Diddley and the Danderliers at my funeral.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Seth - that's SICK!!! image
  • TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    Ok, now I know what my favorite SethChandler question is. image

• OK Seth, I'm going to take this as a "is your family prepared to deal with your collection" question.

Yes
    Close, but not really
    Yes

I must say that I hope that they come here for advice.
  • TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    I've only been collecting for a few months and the value of my collection is only around $1,000. I don't have any instrunctions on how or where to sell the coins. My husband knows where the coins are, but does not know how much each is worth.

Note to self-avoid public swimming pools in areas where cases of the SARS virus have been reported.

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm allergic to chlorine so I rarely swim... problem solved image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭
    I have a small thermo-nuclear device embedded in me by aliens. If my heart stops for over 5 minutes, KABLOOOOWIE!!!
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Aside from Seth's preference for dramatics, this is another advantage of having your sets registered, becuase dealers should be able to give a ballpark range based on bluesheet, and even more so if the deceased had bothered to include images.

Seth, rest.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • was the swimming pool heated?
  • Sorry, my SARS infersted pool has grown too much algae so I had to get rid of it. On the other hand, both my shark and lava pit are still open for swimming (no diving in the lava pit, its too shallow [Hey, do you know how much lava costs these days?!?!]) image
    Retail coin dealers, the only people who can buy a $10 coin for $2, and sell it for $30.
  • <<What if you accidently fell into a SARS infested swimming pool with your mouth open and DIED.....>>

You'd no longer be posting here - you'd be posting in the open forum where all the brain dead people go.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally, a SethChandler question I get to answer!!

Okay, maybe not SARS, but if something happens...

I periodically torture my huband with where all the accounts, investments, insurance type things are, but now that you mention it, he would be clueless about the coins (and now that I think about it, the 529 plans too)

Of course for the sake of the marriage, perhaps it is good he is clueless while I am still alive, or he would wonder at how much money I have spent, and might insist on buying a titanium frame bicycle.

Maybe a good compromise, I will tell him to check this forum and contact about 10 people to see if anyone is interested in properly disposing of the coins for a good percentage (say 20%). I'll give him a list. If nothing else it will give a few people here who have given me some help a chance at my stash.

• Even hough i'm divorced......my ex-wife(and hence my kids who are listed as beneficiaries) knows which bank safe deposit box my coins are resting in. I keep them within the Intercept Shield individual slab holders within the Intercept shield outer box within a double zip lock bag system that includes a can of silica gel.......all inside the air conditioned HUGE bank vault!

Within that double bag is a copy of EACH INVOICE of where i purchased each coin. They'd be blind not to be be able to figure out ballpark coin values from that!

I might suggest everyone keeping an invoice with your stored collection also. Sure couldn't hurt......and might prevent a loved one from getting taken on a super lowball offer from a lowlife taking advantage of the situation type dealer! You know who you are!!!! image

Ain't gonna be no "rip" here!!!! image (or i'll come back and "haunt" your A$$!)

Oh Seth........i'd suggest you keep your mouth closed while swimming in a public pool. Sars or no sars.........dem kids PEE in da pool!!! LOL
    The Ex-"Crown Jewel" of my collection! 1915 PF68 (NGC) Barber Half "Eliasberg".

Once again resides with Legend, the original purchaser "raw" at live Eliasberg auction. Laura and i "love" the same lady!

• No.
  • SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭
    Really, I'm serious. Does everyone have a plan in PLACE that will help their heirs with your coin collection? How many times have we heard about a carefully built coin collection that took the owner years to assemble only to be dumped by the kids in a local coin store that was found in the yellow pages for 20 cents on the dollar?

Seth
    Collecting since 1976.
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I'm glad you are serious about something - my thought was SARS is a virus spread via airborne particles, which would make catching in a swimming pool difficult unless you breathed the water which would make drowning a much quicker death.
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>? How many times have we heard about a carefully built coin collection that took the owner years to assemble only to be dumped by the kids in a local coin store that was found in the yellow pages for 20 cents on the dollar? >>

And if they are going to rush into it without some thought or study that's all they deserve.
  • at the wake would be both sides of family first row right and left .
    second row would be co-workers and acquintances
    third to tenth row would be coin starved dealers .......
    Home of quality widgets
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Whenever I go, however I go, Wherever I go,

Im taking my coins with me!!!!
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think SARS would survive in chlorinated water, so it would probably be death by drowning. Unless it was an empty swimming pool. Ouch.

Seriously, though, those are important questions, and they've been on my mind. I've told my wife who to contact; somebody she can trust to sell off my holdings in case of my untimely demise. (And he's slightly younger and in better shape than I am, so chances are, he won't kick off before I do.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a really good question. There is 1 dealer who I trust completely. My wife knows to just let him loose with everything and he will give her a fair shake.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got everything on collector software: where I got it, how much I paid, how much it's (sorta) worth, etc. Pictures and everything. All the info's there.

My wife also knows who to call to help liquidate the collection responsibly if she can successfully make it look like a suicide.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file