Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

How Important Is The Back Of The Card?

I have seen some cards graded PSA 8's and 9's where the front is obviously very nice, but the backs are clearly off center or stained. Maybe these were flukes, but in general, how important is the condition of the back of a card - both to you personally and in your experience with grading?

Comments

• Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    PSA 10 requires 75/25 on the reverse but any grade lower only requires 90/10. I've always wanted to "beat up" a card with 95/5 reverse centering and submit it to see if I get a PSA 1 OC. image

Personally, I don't care about the back as much as the front, but I don't particularly care for a PSA 9 that has 90/10 reverse centering, regardless of the characteristics of the front. I have some candidates for upgrades based on this alone. I also have 9's that have 50/50 front and back centering that I can't figure out why they are not 10's. I submitted one about a year ago that I was sure would pull a 10 - perfect centering front and back, razor sharp corners - it came back an 8. It was a high pop common (20+ in PSA 8 with 1 or 2 10's at the time) so I didn't bother resubmitting it. I looked at it for a while and couldn't figure out what downgraded it to a 9 let alone an 8. Oh well.

JEB.
  • Options
    Could someone email Greg at BOTN for his opinion?

Smelly
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Smelly - I'll supply the corked bat if you wish to beat this dead horse any longer.

As to the original question - Have a 1961 Topps Jim Brown that I submitted to PSA,
    came back an 8 MC. I'm thinking WTF, the centering is nearly 50/50 l/r and t/b.

Turn it over and take out the magnifier, and sure enough,
    the back of the card is missing 1/10,000 of its border on one corner.
    Oh well ... rules is rules ...

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    Wolfie,

If Machodoc would've thrown a few scans up of the off center or stained backs, maybe he should be banned?

Smelly
  • Options
    Don't quite understand your last post, Smelly - the examples I refered to were actually a couple of graded cards I bought on eBay.
  • Options
    One of the boards beloved board members got booted for questioning centering on PSA 8's and posted a few links to EBAY auctions.

Smelly
  • Options
    GATOR5GATOR5 Posts: 654

I myself don't care for a card with a 9010 reverse...I do like reverses and think it is
    part of the card not as important as the front.

A couple of exceptions I've found with 81' Rusty Staub alway has a reverse of 95-5 if
    the card is centered in the front now if the staub on front is 70-30 the reverse is 75-25.
    So with my figuring with 300 examples. A ten will never be obtained. Just a little from
    the guru...

Wolfbear-I'm with you though not happy whats done is done.image
  • Options
    Hmmmm...... I'm still fairly new to this site so thanks for the head's up....
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    While admittedly the back of the card Centering
    is not as important as the front of the card,
    ANY Staining, Front or Back, will count off the grade
    the same (or result in the dreaded Qualifiers; ST or MK)

imageimage
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    the back of the card is just as important as the front!! i don't understand why there is an exception for the back of the card?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    TipemTipem Posts: 881

The back is 1/2 of the card.I will not buy cards that have bad backs unless there is not a better one available.
    BOTN's input would be nice.image

Vic

PS,

I like riding a dead horse,After you get tired of riding em,you can always eat em.image
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options

<< <i> BOTN's input would be nice >>

Vic,
    Don't worry,
    He will be back soon....
    imageimage
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Honestly I could almost care less about the back of a card. The only thing I try to avoid is gum stains and miscut backs. 90/10 on the back doesn't bother me at all. I'd rather have a 9 with a gorgeous front and 99/1 back than a PSA 8 with a pretty nice front and back. Front is everything to me.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Wabittwax - for a minute there I almost thought you were talking about girls ... image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Whenever I look for raw 1965's (the set I know most about)....I start by looking at the backs first. If the backs look pretty clean then I check out the front. The blue backs of the 65's make it a lot easier to go through cards the first time around and are much easier to see defects (corner wear, etc)...thent he white boarded fronts.

John
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure John does the same thing with girls also.image

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    With 1955 Bowman, I honestly do not care much about the back of the card, as long as it is not miscut or have significant staining. It is so hard to find nice cards that are worthy of PSA 8 or PSA 9 -- that I think downgrading a card simply because of the reverse centering is a bit over the top -- especially with an issue that has a significant amount of front/back card alignments. Also -- for what it is worth, I have found that historically PSA has been somewhat inconsistent with their grading of PSA 8 and PSA 9 examples from this set as it relates to back centering. I have seen (and have no problems owning) numerous examples of high-grade unqualified cards that are clearly miscut on the reverse.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Thats a good one Wayne.....

John
  • Options
    I wonder if the back of this card is important?

imageimage