Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Mercury dime rarity? Just a thought.

In looking for the last few dimes to get my set up to a MS+ standard, I've noticed that several dates are much lower in the pop charts than the 16-D. I can find a 16-D much easier than some others. I know the first thing your going to say is that it's much more valuable and counterfeited, therefore it's imperitive to have it authenticated. Still for the collector, it's easier to find a 16-D in most grades than say a 19-S. I wonder how many truly survive in some of the lower mintage mercs. Anybody else ever pondered this?
Merc collector.

Comments

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that the1919-D and the 1918-D with full bands is veryhard to find, and the 1920-D any MS is hard to find
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was an interesting thread a few months ago regarding just that DT, go to US COIN FORUM do a search on 1916-D I believe it was in April.
    That thread will answer most of your Q's

Pat, I totally agree and very true - most of these dates are downright scarce in 64FB or higher - the 16-D just happens to have the lowest mintage and is soo well known in the hobby.

Marc
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the 18-D and 19-D,and add the 25-D and 26-s.I have been looking for 8 months for them in MS 64/65 FB.image.Al