Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is the last coin you paid "stupid money" for and why?

BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭
The last one I paid stupid money for was an 1866 Quarter, PCGS PR65 with the most indescribably beautiful obverse toning I have seen on any coin in a 65 holder anywhere. Bought it from a good dealer friend. It turns out it was a plate coin in Auction 86, one of the Apostrophe Sales, lot #1098. and a plate coin again in Auction 89, lot #580. I would post a picture but am still computer illiterate. You know you are in trouble when a dealer shows you a coin and after about ten seconds you know that whatever number he throws at you, you are going to say yes and buy the coin. Anyway, I paid around 4X bluesheet for it, and I would do it again in a heartbeat if another one of similar quality presented itself.
TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org

Comments

• rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Paid $1250 for a PCGS 67 1954D roosie --- cool color, clean surfaces, BUT until you turn it over and see the "D," you think you are looking at a PROOF.... imageimage
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • I paid $50 for a PCI MS70 SAE. image I got caught up in the bidding and let my emotions run away with me. I'm very
    embarassed to admit it but I learned from that and now know 2 things. PCI overgrades severely, and bid with your
    brain not your emotions.
    Scott M

Everything is linear if plotted log-log with a fat magic marker
  • Wow $1200 for a toned roosie. I gotta send mine in.
  • I paid $750 for a toned NGC MS65 1924-P Peace $1 (which is 8.8 times CDN bid) and it's not even what I would call MONSTER toning -- but it is cool. I routinely pay absurd money for coins I deem exceptionally eye appealing -- that's how I'm able to maintain a substantial inventory of really wild coins. I just love to get buried in outrageous coins...and the ones that I reach the farthest for are always the first to sell -- often times to a fellow dealer.

Mike
    DE FALCO NUMISMATIC CONSULTING
    Visit Our Website @ www.numisvision.com
    Specializing in DMPL Dollars, MONSTER toners and other Premium Quality U.S. Coins

*** Visit Mike De Falco's NEW Coin Talk Blog! ***
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    coingame2000 mike defalco sums it up really very well just read and reread his post over and over

this sums up extraordinary exceptional one in a million coins very well

sincerely michael
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the last month or so: NGC MS66 1966 Kennedy: $400.00. PCGS MS65 1964 kennedy: $500.00 (both from two board members right here, sight seen!). Also $300.00 (or a bit more, can't recall exactly) for a PCGS MS66 SMS Kennedy.
    Yes, each is very colorful.

peacockcoins

• I don't even want to say what I paid for my 1902 PCGS PR67CAM 25c. It was STUUUUUUPID $$$$$$. However, the coin is exceptionally beautiful and IMO will always be a pop 1(0). It is a really rare CAM coin.

I also doubt that I will get what I paid for it at the Heritage auction, but that's OK. It's a true pedigree that I can proudly say that I once owned.
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm... I paid alittle for my 53s FBL Frankie......
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    I paid about double market value for a pretty purple and blue NGC PR67 1955 Washington because it entranced me when I walked by it at a show. image Now, of course, I'm going to have to find the other four coins for the set.

Russ, NCNE
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After stretching and paying stupid money for this.

I ended up doing this.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    The 49S Prooflike didn't come cheap either - but hey - show me another one!?! image

• LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    When that 49s Frankie comes out, I have to hide mine..... Unmatchable!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,228 ✭✭
    The only coins I felt were stupid money were the ones where the image didn't match the coin.

But almost every coin I bought in the 70's I lost money on during my "coin education period" was stupid money.

I thought 6700 for an 1892 S barber half was sort of stupid at the time I bought it, but I feel differently about it now.

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BigMoose:

The last stupid money coin was one you checked out for me - a pop. 0/0 IHC that I paid 48K for....the rest of you will have to guess!image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • FrattLawFrattLaw Posts: 3,290 ✭✭
    Well the jury is still out on mine....

I bought a rainbow rim toned 1924-S Redfield Peace $ with great luster from another Board member for $1000.00 (Actually it was my birthday present from my wife, believe it or! I guess I have to keep her now!)

If it grades MS63 .... well I'm not so happy....but if its a MS64..... YEAH!.... if it is a MS65 (I doubt it)... it's the smartest thing she ever bought!

Either way, I needed it and I had not found a toned 24-S yet, and I love that fact that its a Redfield. I've got a toned Binion and Redfield. Now I have to go find an affordable toned Jack Lee!

~Michael

• image I paid $1,050 for an " uncirculated" 1934s Peace dollar. PCGS graded it AU55 !
    worth half what I paid. Taught me a BIG lesson about buying raw coins.
  • BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭
    Lakes, looking back on it now, I think you stole that coin for $48K!! If it came up for auction now, it would probably bring twice that amount.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one, it's not too much to look at, but it was expensive and fills a hole in my Library of Coins type album. The next one is a 1796 quarter which I'm about 1/4 of the way paid off on.

• TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,621 ✭✭
    Paid about 30% over market for this one.

• I bought a nickle from the snake for a bundle. Stupid money? That's always someone elses opinion. If I wanted to, could I flop it for a "tidy profit"? Probably not. However, who cares... I have it now and nobody else. I like to look at it daily, it puts a smile on my face... So's what is the cost for "stupid money" if it brings happiness and pleasure?

Now stupid money is what I paid for a ucam 64 Kennedy (with haircut) and a ucam 56 Frankie ( my only "moderns")....image......cheers, dave
    gravity--it's the law.
  • I just payed 35 dollars for a 1971 proof set , but I have a feeling I'm about to make some dcams image
  • ClausUrchClausUrch Posts: 1,278
    1,180 for a PCGS MS69 1982-D Washington Commemorative Halfimage
  • pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whether it was $50 for a Franklin Half or $5000 for a Early Half Eagle as far as my wife is concerned it's all stupid money image.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    1,180 for a PCGS MS69 1982-D Washington Commemorative Half

Please tell me you are joking.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file