Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin Trivia: What classic U. S. rarity($100k+)is also a strongly doubled die?

SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭
NO red books, blue books, pink books, Breen books, or anything to do with Dave Bowers is allowed.

Seth
Collecting since 1976.

Comments

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    76-CC twenty cent piece has a doubled "Liberty".
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: 76-CC .20

If you owned it, you are cannot be in the trivia contest.image

You owned the purple Norweb coin, correct?

Seth
    Collecting since 1976.
    I bought the Norweb coin at the Norweb sale. I also bought the Emery Nichols coin when it was originally sold.

Art Kagin tells a funny story about 76-CC's. He walked into Stacks one day - many moons ago - and one of the three partners offered him a 76-CC. He bought it. Then, another partner walked out and offered him ANOTHER one! So of course Art bought it. Then, another Stack walked out from the back office with a third coin! So Art went home with three 76-CC's, scratching his head and wondering how many more he could have bought if he had returned to their store the next day.
    Andy Lustig

Is Art still around? He was always very nice to me......he certainly fits the definition of "old school". His son, Don, was even nicer, I bought a Clark & Gruber $10 from him, paid cash, and he tracked me down and proceeds to HAND ME BACK money. Says he overcharged me. I felt it was a great price to begin with.

Made me feel like sh*t about my negotiating skills.

But hey....I was 18 or so.

Seth
    Collecting since 1976.
    Art is very much still with us! You should visit him and Don in Tiburon. Art spends a fair amount of time out there now.
    Andy Lustig

Tiburon! Really? That's the town right next to mine, Mill Valley. It's a five minute drive. How do I contact him?

Seth
    Collecting since 1976.
    Seth - PM sent
    Andy Lustig

It amazing where coin trivia can land you!
    Collecting since 1976.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know this is incorrect but, how about a IHC 1873 S1 in 65R!image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • dunnp if its die of strike doubling, but I know the 1933 double eagle (not the ones at the smithsonian) has some doubling
    Retail coin dealers, the only people who can buy a $10 coin for $2, and sell it for $30.
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    MS 68 Red 1955 DD Lincoln.....image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    The first thing I can remember buying at a coin show I bought from Art Kagin. It was a $5 National (strange, I know) from my hometown and I think I paid $15. That was probably 20 years ago.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1916 1-O-V Buffalo in MS64 (or MS65 if one exists in 65); 1918-D 8/7 Buffalo MS65; 1918-S 8/7 25c MS65 FH
    (if there is such a thing.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file