Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dutch auctions - read this

I placed a dutch auction a couple days ago on Ebay for groups of $20 face silver dimes. There was a total of 16 lots available. One person won 2 and the other person won the other 14. Check out the email from the guy that won 14 (names have been removed as I don't want to offend anybody):

Dear burjr: As I did not win all 16 of the lots as I bid for, Ebay rules allows me to withdraw
my offer. However, before I do so pls advise the cost of posting the 14 lots to me as a group.
If acceptable, I will Paypal.

I've seen that in the ebay rules but I've never had somebody want to back out on that before. The lots he won comes to about $900, I'd hate to have to relist.

Comments

• I've never seen that rule, you might want to re-check. I see he offers to pay relisting, make sure you reclaim your sellers fees. I think you still have the ability to leave feedback.
    You need to post something so that other seller's are aware of this bidders buying preferences on Dutch Auctions. You can still offer the canceled lots to the other bidder and mitigate your loss of this sale.
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like he's (in an awkward way) trying to save money on postage by combining the packages.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • I think he just wanted me to lower the shipping even though I stated right in the listing exactly what it would be for each additional lot. If he doesn't take it he will definatley be on by blocked list.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure that is allowed? Maybe only if he bid for 16 but only won 14... how many did he bid on?
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • He bid on all 16 but was outbid on 2 of the lots.
  • BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭
    I do recall according to ebay rules he can back out.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭

<< <i>As I did not win all 16 of the lots as I bid for >>

He bid on all 16 lots and someone bid a higher amount for 2 of the lots. According to Ebay Dutch Auction rules, if you do not win ALL of the lots you bid upon, then you are not obligated to purchase those lots you won, though you can honor the bids. It becomes the bidder's option. Personally, I've never understood why anyone would want to risk a Dutch Auction. The lower bit of fees do not justify the risk!

poptopsRus- I think you are probably correct. He is probably attempting to negotiate the S&H charges. If you want the coins sold at that price, then were I in you shoes, I would work with the buyer to get the deal done! Just my opinion.

A few good lessons to be learned from this thread.

• RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I'm with DCAM Franklin on this one. Find out what actual S/H/I(including your shipping materials...etc.) is and offer him a deal on the shipping. I'd bet that is what his goal is, to get your fees down.

He is right about the dutch auction rules too. I used to list them frequently, but only once have I had someone back out for this reason. I usually had enough material on to meet and honor their original their bid.
  • I lowered the S&H to actual but I haven't heard from him. There was another bidder so I'll pass on the offer to him if this guy declines. Guess I should have just listed it as one lot. Live and learn.
  • few good lessons to be learned from this thread....Absolutely. This is something I didn't know..............Ken
  • No response from this guy - I guess he's just going to blow it off and not take the coins.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No response from this guy - I guess he's just going to blow it off and not take the coins. >>

It's only been a very short time. Some people only check their eMail once a day, or even once every couple days.

Russ, NCNE
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's only been a very short time. Some people only check their eMail once a day, or even once every couple days. >>

Hard to imagine, isn't it? image
  • I guess I spoke too soon, they just paid.
  • DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    He paid 3.2 times face and wanted out??? Had I see that I'd have taken them all at even a little more and been happy.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • I offerend them to the board at 3.3 times face before I listed them on ebay. Only one taker for two rolls.
  • DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    I guess I should visit the BST board more often. Obviously.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file