Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Since we are talking about centering...

Ok, here's a challenge of sorts.

Below are five sets of cards for you to evaluate. I want you to focus only on centering, so I am only showing you the card margins. What you must do with your eyes only (NO MEASURING) is to decide which group is the first group that, in your opinion, should have the OC qualifier on the holder. This is not about specifications, just about visual preferances. Look, vote, discuss, lather, rinse, repeat.

Oh, forgot to say this originally... This assumes a card graded NM-MT 8.

Group A
Group B
Group C
Group D
Group E

Comments

• Options
    is this on a psa 9 card? 8?

B should be the cut-off for a 9, and C for an 8 in my opinion

-Will
  • Options
    mrc32mrc32 Posts: 604
    Please not- be careful what you say as you COULD GET BANNED.....image
  • Options
    haha

In all seriousness, I was just using industry guidelines for centering

Say what you want about the BOTN thing, but it's a private message board, and Joe had every right to kick him off.....there is a difference between disagreeing with a few psa grades, and outright slander. For every questionable graded card, there are thousands of accurate psa graded cards.....no one ever seems to mention those. PSA is the best, most consistent grader out there

-Will

• Options
    I also think that for an 8,9,10 B should be a cutoff- anything more than that should get an(OC) qualifier

C looks bad - probably within specs - but just based on borders - looks off-kilter to my eyes( and I'm an umpire so I;m blind by default)

Houston
    1974 Topps PSA 8 or better
    1955 Topps All-American (raw or PSA graded)
  • Options
    srs1asrs1a Posts: 398
    Great test!

I think group C is 60/40 which would be within PSA (or SGC) standards for a 9. I think that D is 65/35, so good for an 8. I find D acceptable and clearly different than E. I suspect that E is 70/30 which is the "stretch" for an 8...which, I think is the root of the recent discussion.

Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • Options
    Sorry the images were offline a bit. I forgot about a scheduled outage when I posted the message. Also, please note that I edited the original question and specified NM-MT (8) cards.

I must also note (because it has come up) that this topic is not intended to be a debate (or criticism for that matter) of PSA's standards but rather a debate about what you find acceptable for your collection.

One question that I had as I prepared this topic... Is centering really an absolute, or does it really have more to do with eye appeal? Looking at the examples, as the centering gets worse I a much more bothered by the card on the far left then the middle one, yet in each image the centering is the same for all three cards.

Ok, discuss...
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    To me centering is definitely less absolute in those issues that do not have uniform borders. 1955 Bowman and 1960 Fleer seem to be the first two examples that come to my mind.

With the horizontal 1955 Bowman cards, the left and right borders are gargantuan. In my mind, those need to be centered 60/40 or better to have good eye appeal and be a respectably-centered card. On the other hand, the top and bottom borders are miniscule. I usually do not even notice them very much unless they are worse than 70/30.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.