Home U.S. Coin Forum

Mint Sets

BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone gotten their year 2003 mint sets yet? Wuts the quality like? I ordered 5 of the clad SQ only sets and sent em ALL back; at least one defective quarter in each set. Today I got 5 replacements plus a notice that my credit card was being reimbursed.

Greetings from the U.S. Mint.
The amount below has been submitted for credit to your
credit card as a result of your return or exchange being
processed, or as a result of special action taken on your
behalf by the U.S. Mint.
Thank you for shopping at the U.S. Mint.

Guess I will wait until they catch their mistake if thats what it is. Do they every so often give out freebies in atonement for the defective merchandise?

Also to answer Adrian's question from a few days ago I do buy coins thru my credit card account.

theknowitalltroll;

Comments

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The replacement sets don't seem to be any better. In fact they look like they have been shot at and missed and $hit at and hit.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone gotten their year 2003 mint sets yet? Wuts the quality like? I ordered 5 of the clad SQ only sets and sent em ALL back; at least one defective quarter in each set. >>

Are you talking mint sets or proof sets? I am assuming you mean, Proof sets, right?
  • JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    I just got a 2003 clad proof set, a 2002 mint set, and a 2003 proof Eagle, and they all look fantastic.

We ARE watching you.

• DracoDraco Posts: 512
    I just received a 2003 proof set and two proof silver eagles and they look fine to me.
  • Well I have 10 of the 2003 Mint sets, and the coins look great, especially the SQ. I've opened 2 boxes, and I like what I see.

Much better than the clad proof sets. I returned 6 because of a problem with the Kennedys, and I didn't want a replacement, but they sent me replacements anyway.
    Maurice
    Lurking with intent to loom
    Was talking both as it turns out. Have yet to order the 2003 mint sets, but the SQ only 2003 proof sets don't look good to me at all.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    My theory is that when ever somone orders 5 or more proof sets, the mint gives them lower quality ones. I have ordered 2 of each for the past 10 years, and all of mine have been of the best quality. And I never have had to return one. Mine should be here in a day or so, so maybe I'll have to update this.
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

All returned sets are put back into stock, so maybe you got 5 other sets back that somebody else returned earlier.

You can buy 1000 sets and cherry pick them and return 995 - which are then sold to somebody else who thinks because they are buying directly from the mint, they'll get a shot at some nice coins.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    This is my 3rd year back in collecting. My 2000-2003 proof sets all look nice. Maybe there is some merit to buying less. I always get one each.

mike
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields
    Well I will clean the plastic cases good and look em over in good light and maybe they will improve. I was just curious if the mint sets were extra good too before I place my order.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • FaustFaust Posts: 118 ✭✭
    I ordered 20 2003 Mint sets and I'm returning 11 of them. The quality is very cr&ppy, worse than 2002. Some of the coins, especially the quarters, look like they were sandblasted and put in a concrete mixer. Maybe I just got a bad batch.image
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    The Credit to your credit card is not a mistake. For some reason having to do with their internal accounting when you make a return they credit your charge card and then when they send out the replacements they charge your card again. So the sets won't be freebees. When you get your next statement you should find both the credit and the new charge listed.
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    conder knows what hes talking about...they did it to me.

no santa at us mint image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
    Well I can check my CC account online and so far no credits or re-debits. Ordered some of the mint sets so we shall see about those. I guess if stuff is crappy they send it out hoping no one will complain. If someone does then they maybe fix it?
    theknowitalltroll;
    Proof sets and mint sets are sposed to be the creme de la creme of their production. I thought they sold the rejects and returns to Accu-Grunge.
    theknowitalltroll;

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file