Home U.S. Coin Forum

Why all the 1964 accented hair Kennedys?

In reading the posts over the last week or two it seems like everybody is sending accented hairs in for grading. Am I behind the times or what? I don't consider sending one in unless it has a nice cameo or a sure shot 69.

Comments

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accented hairs, even in 67, are commanding relatively steep prices... besides, Russ submits nearly every on that he has.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, what's the deal. I don't know why anybody would want one. I'll help you out, though. I'll give you $10 for any that grade at least 66, but aren't a cameo or "sure shot" 69.

Russ, NCNE
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ:

I understand why someone might want one AH. What I don't uunderstand is why someone might want one million AHs! image

Mark
    Mark

Mark,

I'm not even close to that. I own only a piddly 6.2% of the PCGS graded population....

....so far.

Jeremy,

BTW, I no longer submit any that won't grade at least 65. Been selling off the dogs.

Russ, NCNE
  • PeetiePeetie Posts: 627 ✭✭
    Russ what is the mintage on those things? Or is it unknown?
  • I guess I'm behind the times. I checked Teletrade and while the PR67's are only bringing $30 the PR68's are pushing $100. Guess I should do what everybody else is doing and send some in.
    Peetie,

The experts say about 3% of the total mintage of the 1964 proof, which would put it at about 120,000 pieces before attrition. My own gut tells me that it was probably somewhat higher, perhaps in the 5% range, or 200,000 pieces.

Russ, NCNE

<< <i>I checked Teletrade and while the PR67's are only bringing $30 the PR68's are pushing $100. >>

YTD eBay average realized prices:

PR69 - $499.50
    PR68 - $102.14
    PR67 - $46.86
    PR66 - $37.10
    PR65 - $26.14

Russ, NCNE
  • PeetiePeetie Posts: 627 ✭✭
    Think you will get them all? image
  • Sweet, thanks for the Ebay price breakdown Russ.
  • PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭
    "think you will get them all?"

Bwuhahahahahahahaha!! image

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
    Uh oh! The only guy on the planet that has more than I do!

Russ, NCNE
  • PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭
    NOT!

We may have been even many months ago, but after your last 500 submissions, I'm not in your league anymore. That pesky mortgage, car, tuition, food, etc keeps eating away at my AH money!

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720

<< <i>

<< <i>I checked Teletrade and while the PR67's are only bringing $30 the PR68's are pushing $100. >>

YTD eBay average realized prices:

PR69 - $499.50
    PR68 - $102.14
    PR67 - $46.86
    PR66 - $37.10
    PR65 - $26.14

Russ, NCNE >>

OK Russ, please tell me how you get that info. I guess I messed up, as I paid $40 for a PR66.

TIA
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
    Deadhorse,

I track every sale on eBay and enter them in my database. Remember, those are average prices, so some sold lower some sold higher. The $40 you paid for your PR66 is only $2.90 higher than the average this year. I don't think you can say you messed up.

Russ, NCNE
  • DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    You track EVERY sale on eBay? Lord...whew. OK, how many have there been?
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
    Deadhorse,

It's not really that many to track. YTD there have been 98 in all grades that have sold. Probably that many more listed that didn't sell, but I don't enter those in the database.

Russ, NCNE
  • route66route66 Posts: 474
    Sounds like Russ owns 125 of these . 125 more than I have. Why the obsession? Do you think it will be a future rarity?????
    Route66,

The coin will never be rare. Too many were minted. I just like the story behind it, much of which has not yet been publicly revealed, but will at some future date.

Russ, NCNE
  • This is like an Enron scandal in the making. If Russ dumps his entire 6.2% of Ah Kennedies at once the entire market will crash. The small time Kennedy collectors will be ruined, retirement accounts busted, children will go hungry. Should one collector be allowed to own 6.2% of all graded specimens of a particular coin?
    Give us a break Russ, I still need an AH for my registry set.

<< <i>I still need an AH for my registry set. >>

Well, I do have 11 of them listed on eBay right now. image

Russ, NCNE
  • mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    Russ, how many do you have?

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got 3 image One sent from Mr. Russ in all of his kindness image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

<< <i>Russ, how many do you have? >>

Morris,

I have 6.2% of the PCGS graded population. I already said that. image

Oh yeah, and some raw ones piling up that I need to get submitted.

Russ, NCNE
    I think they are a great coin as well, I think they are tremendously undervalued, especially the cam coins.
    By my last count, I have 22 in original sets, 22 other raw that I don't think are worth having graded (mostly PR64-65 stuff with so lower grade cams), I just sent in 45 to be graded on a bulk, then 3 others on a 15 day submission (cross yer fingers, hopefully they will be the first 69cam and 69dcam) then I just opened another deal of 115 sealed 1964 sets that yielded about another 20 or so (definitely a lucky deal, well above the average), that I will be sending in for grading in about a month or two.

I am sure that pales in comparison to what Russ has laying around.

morris <><

TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

You gotta have more than 63.488 AH Kennedys. Those are just the ones in yer left boot...what about yer right boot.

morris <><

TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

<< <i>then 3 others on a 15 day submission (cross yer fingers, hopefully they will be the first 69cam and 69dcam) >>

You damned well better post that result!!!!! image

Russ, NCNE
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    I still have a few also. They're in old Dansco Franklin albums. I hope they don't take it personally.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor

<< <i>You gotta have more than 63.488 AH Kennedys. >>

Hey, that's pretty good Morris, 64 is the number. Technically speaking, I do have more. But, I'm not including the dogs that I'm selling off.

I have about 30 raw piled up, but only about half those will go in. The rest I'll just sell off. I've been dumping any that don't grade 65 or better.

Russ, NCNE

<< <i><< then 3 others on a 15 day submission (cross yer fingers, hopefully they will be the first 69cam and 69dcam) >>

Morris,

Did you get results yet? Some of us are waiting in fervent anticipation! image

Russ, NCNE
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Russ,
    I have a 66 AH to sell...
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭

<< <i>I just sent in 45 to be graded on a bulk, then 3 others on a 15 day submission >>

A 10% increase in Population. SELL Mortimer, sell!!

• BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    I have it on good authority that Russ had to rent a house for the sole purpose

of storing all of his tens of thousands of accented Kennedy Half Dollars.

In fact he must use a bulldozer with a blade, just to move his mountains of half dollars around

the house.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own one example of the 1964 AH Kennedy Half Dollar. Come to think of it, not a lot of duplication in my collection, as I'd rather have different coins.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

<< <i><< I just sent in 45 to be graded on a bulk, then 3 others on a 15 day submission >>

A 10% increase in Population. SELL Mortimer, sell!! >>

Yep, there's DCAMFranklin promulgating false information yet again. 48 coins is 4.3% of the population.

Russ, NCNE

• DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭

• ksteelheaderksteelheader Posts: 11,777

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file