Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Math help please.

I was looking for additions to my 1970 set I came across this auction: auction now I know I have a PSA 9 graded card in my collection, Chris R. has one in his collection and with this one that would make three. Right? I could understand if the seller posted their auction before the POP report was updated, but since they have a scan the POP report must have been updated by now. Is this an attempt at creating a rarity? How accurate are the rest of their auctions?

How often do you believe the sellers claims?

Chris

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Chris:

It depends on the reputation of the sellers. There are some unscurpulous people that flat-out lie about the population figures and hopefully realize a greater price (it often works). Some simply make mistakes -- especially those that list dozens, if not hundreds, of auctions. Other times, there is a time lag. But if I had to guess in this instance, I would say it is a mistake. Luckily, most of the active collectors of sets know the true populations of cards and do not simply rely on a seller's claim.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I never buy because of the Seller's banner. I simultaneously open the Pop Report online. Marc is right, for sets or players I actively collect I am very familiar with the POP reports. I, however, doubt that listing something as a 1 of 1 when there are at least 2 other known cards is a mistake.
    Always buying high grade Mike Schmidt and Steve Carlton cards!!!
  • Options
    ScoopScoop Posts: 168
    As of today, there are 4 PSA 9's on pop report.
    building 1956 Topps PSA 8/9
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

When I am the buyer I often verify the sellers claim of actually how rare the card is. And knowing that I and many others do that, I make sure when I am the seller to be as accurate as I can, I usually look up the population minutes before I post the auction so I won't be caught w/ misleading figures. Although some pops can change during the run of my 10 day auctions..jay
  • Options
    I checked the population report as well, doing a search by player name and came up with 5 PSA 9's, and then went into the 1970 set pop report and it showed 4 9's. Looks like another glitch in the system!

As far as "believing" seller's scarcity quotes, I ALWAYS check the pop report before I bid!
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    The pop report has not been updated since the 13th.
    It is a "report" taken from the psa database.
    The player search actually goes into the psa database and creates a report that is "real-time".
    Wait until the next pop report update and I'll bet psa 9 #5 shows up (having been graded in the past few days).
  • Options
    Hey guys - I'm just back from Hawaii!!! What a place to visit! I couldn't log in on vacation but it's always fun keeping up with all of the posts.

I've found that this particular seller frequently misrepresents the population of cards on the pop report. He is excellent to deal with and very prompt on his shipping but I have no idea where he gets his card populations from. I've seen several auctions for 74's where he called auctions 1/1 and both myself and Scott Wetzel already had examples of the same card in the same grade in our sets. Then I check the pop reports and find that there are 4 examples listed there. I would like to know what he looks at to determine the card populations. And if the seller is someone on these boards - I'm not bashing because you are fantastic to deal with. I just double check all populations before I decide what to bid.

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    Allstar-Cards is a very large dealer. I've purchased cards from them on ebay and through their catalog many times. I've called orders in over the phone as well. Always great to deal with and they ship very fast. I think they sell so much that their attention to detail (such as POPs) takes a hit. But, I don't see any problem with this. Anyone who is going to pay $30+ for a PSA 9 common card from the 1970 set (or any other set) knows the set inside and out before bidding. Everyone else picks up a Beckett and sees this card listed at $1.00 high book and moves on or waits for the POP to increase.

JEB.
  • Options
    Have also done business with these guys and found them more than reliable.
    The listing in question now has a corrected note at the bottom stating the correct pop.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.